FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Discounttiredirect.com has killer deals on wheels & tires. I'm in no way affiliated with them. I just wanted to pass along this sale. They have $100 off set of 4 tires, &/or $100 off set of 4 wheels. That's right, you can get $200 off a complete set. They offer free shipping. I just ordered a set of 17" wheels/tires for $560 mounted, lugs, hub centric rings, shipped to my door. That's cheaper than I could have bought tires locally. This deal is for online orders only, and goes until Oct. 20th. No rebates. No gimmics, just $100/$200 off instantly during checkout.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow. Good catch. Unfortunately, I don't have enough money right now, and I don't need a new set of tires at 18,000 miles. I'll be on the lookout later, I'd love a lightweight set of Enkeis.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't either -- nor do I need a set. I have the OEM 16" SE wheels -- with < 5000 miles. I applied for their instant credit, and also got 6 months 0% interest.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Damn. I need two more tires to complete my set so I can replace all four of my tires at the same time, but I get paid on the 30th. :(

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Hi all. :wavey: Just a word of advice for anyone actually thinking of ordering tires. Also check out www.tirerack.com. It never hurts to get multiple pricing quotes.

At least for the Michelin tires on the Fusion/Milan, Tire Rack is up to $58 less per tire (Discount Tire does not seem to carry the OEM Michelin tire for my MKZ). That comes to a savings of $236 for four. That still leaves a $136 savings at The Tire Rack even after the Discount Tire $100 "Instant Savings". And the "Instant Savings" is only good for a four tire purchase at Discount Tire.

For my Cougar, it was a different story. Tire Rack is $11 cheaper, so for four tires they would be $44 less (regular price). The $100 "Instant Savings" would then save me $56 at Discount Tire. That would be worth it (if you are buying four).

I have no affiliation to either Retailer, just want us all to get the best prices available. Essentially, neither Retailer has a lock on the best price in all situations. You may get a better deal at either, according to the model of tire you are looking at. So check out both.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot that deal is for a set of 4. I only need two. :dur:

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Yes, but Discount tire services your tires for the life of the tire. You plan on taking them off and sending them back to tirerack for a balance? Discount guarantees the lowest price period. I am not knocking tirerack, but I have seen their work time and time again with people that bring in their product to be mounted / balanced ect. and there is fitment issues, counter balancing, issues with speed ratings on specific cars, ect. To eash their own tho.

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=92088.msg1792501#msg1792501 date=1192758760]
Yes, but Discount tire services your tires for the life of the tire. You plan on taking them off and sending them back to tirerack for a balance? Discount guarantees the lowest price period. I am not knocking tirerack, but I have seen their work time and time again with people that bring in their product to be mounted / balanced ect. and there is fitment issues, counter balancing, issues with speed ratings on specific cars, ect. To eash their own tho.
[/quote]

Hi Jaysen. :wavey: I respect you both for your opinion and as a helpful forum member. However, if you read my entire previous post carefully, I say nothing about who is better or worse. I merely discuss pricing, and state that any forum member should always get more than one price quote. In fact, re-read my previous post and you will see I give two tire examples and one favors Discount Tires pricing.

Since you brought it up though, Tire Rack also services for the life of the tire.

Also, if you look at the map of Discount Tire outlets (on their website), there are many states with absolutely no outlets at all. I count 30 states with no Discount Tire outlets (according to the map, none in the entire Northeast, a good part of the Mid-Atlantic states and most of the middle of the country). So for many of us, like myself in NJ, or koreySE in Kansas (the original poster), or Ceace in Mississippi, we have no stores in our entire states, so we would be in the same situation you condemn Tire Rack for. What do we do, send them back to Discount Tire for a balance?

Now, I would assume Discount Tire has a "drop shipping" policy with local tire retailers like Tire Rack does. With the drop shipping policy, you can have your tires, wheels, etc shipped to a local installer (backed by Tire Rack) and installed at a pre-determined price. Then, if you do have problems, you go back to that retailer to have them corrected, free lifetime balancing, flat repair etc. In fact, there are 10 retail installers certified by Tire Rack and listed in my immediate area, including the one I usually use for tire service. So service would not be a selling point for Discount Tire in my case.

Please understand that I am only bringing all of this up because you mentioned it.

All of that being said, I have heard mostly good things about both Discount Tire and Tire Rack, and very few bad experiences concerning either also. I would feel comfortable buying from either, so therefore would purchase from the one that had the lower price for what I needed.

In the end, Discount Tire may be the best bet for some of us, and Tire Rack may be better for others. We even need to be open to the fact that for certain forum members, some other Tire Retailer will be even better than these two. I am completely unbiased towards either (as was my original post).

Again, I do not work for either one, so I don't care where anyone buys their tires, as long as they get a good deal and are happy. I am just trying to provide information to help other forum members. Once I provide fair and balanced information, then "to each his own", as they say.

Good luck! :cheers:

PS - And again Jaysen, I respect you as an always helpful forum member, and am definitely not trying to be a wiseguy.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I always compare prices between the 2. You also have to remember that Tirerack charges additional shipping. Discount Tire's prices have shipping built in. That's why they are typically slightly higher. They also have different brand selection. Tirerack does not carry Falken.

For this particular deal, just wheels at tirerack would have been as much (or more) as my complete set. (I don't hvae them yet of course). That's because the wheel I picked from Discount was already on clearance (nearly 50% off).

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I'm a fan of Discout Tire, but have bought tires from Tirerack.com when they had a better selection.

Thanks for the heads up on this BTW, if I didn't just put a couple grand down for a trip to Hungary, I'd be eagerly awaiting my new rims and tires.... :?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.