FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into upgrading the deck in my 07 Fusion. I have the 6CD system but the sound quality of the deck isnt that great at all. I'm looking at a middle-end JVC unit Aux input, Ipod control, good eq settings, etc. However I want to keep my steering wheel controls. I've heard of many people installing these PAC interface, either wired, or the wireless ones to keep the steering wheel controls working.

I'm probably going to do the install myself, I was just wondering if anyone who has installed one of these interfaces can comment on how easy/difficult it was to due? My Fusion's leased so i don't want to have to cut any wires so I can replace the stock headunit at the end of my lease. Also is there any lag with these aftermarket solutions (ie a 2 second delay from the steering wheel button to the radio)?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have a Pioneer that I used a wired PAC unit on I think it works fine. You will have to cut some wires and there is a slight delay (2 sec. sounds about right) when you first press a button. Not real difficult just a little tediuos when yoiu have all the wiring disconnected for the stereo and so forth.

·
Registered
505 Posts
splicing into the wires won't affect your lease, once you return the stock radio into the car they would never know you did anything.

also, I have never used one of those modules, but you shouldn't have to cut into the factory wires themselves, just cut into the wires on the harness adapter you use to install the radio.

if for whatever reason you do need to splice into the factory wires themselves then you can do it without cutting the wire. carefully strip about 1/2" insulation off the wire, then use a sharp pointed tool (or narrow screwdriver) to separate the wire strands into two, then insert the new wire into the opening you just made, push the strands back together (so they squeeze the new wire) and wrap the new wire around, then tape it up. that may sound difficult but its actually quite simple, and it will make the strongest most solid connection possible without soldering (and it is removable when it comes time to turn your car in ;))

good luck :)

P.S. I know a few who have used these modules and the reaction time from button push to radio response was almost instantaneous, it certainly didn't take a full 2 seconds (even 1 full second seems like a long time to wait) :?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Yeah, especially if you wanted to turn up the volume....could take an entire minute!!??!!?

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=94924.msg1861581#msg1861581 date=1195327716]
You can also use a connector that spilces into the wire without cutting it.
[/quote]
yes, you could... but I wouldn't recommend it. they don't make a very solid connection and even worse they damage the wire by cutting the outer strands. that creates a weak spot in the wire which could become a fire hazard.

:/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.