FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered the part yesterday and will get it on the 19th. I will report back on the impact it has on fuel consumption, but do not have access to a dyno for HP. The part should fit as it was designed for the 500, which runs with the same 3L Duratec powerplant.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
[quote author=MParrott link=topic=31723.msg443857#msg443857 date=1129567682]
Really? Because K&N is boasting up to 14 hp and mpg at least...
[/quote]

Link?

I'd be shocked... and I'd like to see their dyno's ;)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was in printed media. They do not make such claims on their web-site...

Page 197 of this months motortrend : gain up to 26hp

I can't find the magazine that had the fuel economy claim (proly threw it away already)

I agree about the dyno tests! I'll be able to see if there is a difference on the mpg though as the Fusion has an average mpg gauge.

·
Registered
596 Posts
[quote author=MParrott link=topic=31723.msg444086#msg444086 date=1129576909]
It was in printed media. They do not make such claims on their web-site...

Page 197 of this months motortrend : gain up to 26hp

I can't find the magazine that had the fuel economy claim (proly threw it away already)

I agree about the dyno tests! I'll be able to see if there is a difference on the mpg though as the Fusion has an average mpg gauge.
[/quote]
Now Are you sure we talking about the k&n filter and not the K&n intake?
even so, it's rather odd. due to the fact that I called K&K themselves and they've told me that they don't produce any filters YET... could they have been wrong?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I was in the shop today, and they didn't have nothing. For the "car", or for the "part number".

·
Registered
2 Posts
One would think that there would be some kind of cross reference for a K&N. I find it hard to beleive that it take a air filter "SIZE" that that nobody but Motorcraft makes???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I work in the parts biz and it takes a while for the after market people to get it produced. They have to make sure they can make money before spending money on R&D and the molds. I was reading somewhere that someone was working on a TURBO for the V6 does anyone have a name or line on it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone made a cold are or short RAM for the 2.3 I4 manual yet??

·
Registered
3 Posts
I checked at K&N a month ago about an AIR filter and all they had was an OIL filter. I put my name on a notification list for an air filter. What are you all e-mailing about?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
They have released a drop-in panel filter, now.

Part number is: 33-2340. Listed for $42.99 on the K&N Store.

·
Registered
596 Posts
yes they have... i should be getting a call from a local shop about monday.... I've ordered the drop-in panel filter through them. [can't wait]

·
Registered
596 Posts
I got the filter this morning .... I've ordered it through EZ lube.... b4 picking it up, I gave them a call to find out how much they want for it.....

WELL... they wanted $78 due to the cost + shipping and handling + some other bullcrap = $78???? OVER MY DEAD BODY.... after a short talk to the manager... I've managed to reduce the price to $55 .. AFTER TAX.....

So, concidering the K&N store wants $42.80 ... + i dunno how much for the delivery = I think I got myself a pretty good deal.

now as far as performance improvement... well...
after I replaced the stock filter with the K&N filter + I removed the Air box resonator = the RPMs definatelly rev up alot faster while driving + while I was drivig down the freeway (under steady flat angle) at 70mph.... I managed to get 45.5MPG!!!... amazing...

one thing for sure... so far I'm definatelly happy with the filter....

P.S.
Now that I have the K&N filter + removed air box resonator removed, the sound on the engine is alot sexier rather than when I had the stock filter with the resonator removed.

Cudos to that!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I find 45 hard to swallow. When I reset the button WHILE driving, it jumps to a whole like, 50, then to 45, then to 40, down to 37, and then it hovers. Stop a few times, pass someone, hit accel on the cruise and watch it fall fast.

But hey -- I dont have one.

·
Registered
261 Posts
K&N or the Fram Airhog, both will net you results, depending on what it has been installed on.
meaning if the intake tube on the car curves everywhere, not much will help, but on the Fusion the
air intake tube shoots right into the intake manifold, therefore there will be an increase, I have installed
these things on many cars with different results, mostly good, my S-10 had a curved air intake that ran
from the box across the fan shroud then back into the intake (why) :dunno:, thus decreasing the flow, making the K&N
not to much good, but it did help some, and don't care what anyone says, every little bit helps.

I am getting the filter as well, as soon as I can and with my expiriences with it, I know it will do much good,
and I don't know about 45 MPG, but on a flat out stretch I got around 36 with the stock filter & the air res
tube off. before it was no more than 29, and what little miles I have on the car didn't make that difference up.

I have the 4cyl, and sorry, but I do know for a fact that the tube removal and K&N would benefit the 4 more
than the 6, due to the fact that any 4cyl when restricted gets worse performance than anything higher would,
the same as kicking on the AC, the 4 would feel the lag more than a 6 or 8, so every little bit helps. I also have
physical proof that on the 4 removing the tube adds more performance & MPG, if anyone doubts my findings,
anyone is welcome to ride or drive my car and see...

I will show anyone who has a remark to speak, I back-up my statements....

I may not know much about transmissions or tires, but as far as everything else, I have 15+ years of auto expirience
under my belt and I know many little tricks to do to get more out of stock cars, not to mention what cars I have
helped build and restore, not to mention my own.

and yes after resetting the avg MPG readings it does jump to 50+ then goes down, it did that to me too, only after
driving it normally will it register a semi-correct reading, but as it states it is only an average calculation, not a real reading.

·
Registered
596 Posts
you are all right, without a single doubt guys... my purpose of sharing this, is not to show on my new resulds with my 3.0 v6... no, not at all. i hit the reset botton as soon as i put the filter in which was way b4 i hit the freeway, and already the it showed a better performance in mpg than it normaly would when i reseted the MPG... by the time i got on the freeway, and drove for about 33 miles on it, i kept averaging in the range of 39-45 MPG... believe it or don't... and ofcouse, once I got off the freeway into the streest and drove for about 15 more miles, YES, the MPG did go down.... but not to my usual 19's or 20's but to an amazing 29 mpg.... no matter what anyone tells me... that a much greated improvement in gas milage then I had previously.

not to mention the improvement in sound...

you know, guys, sometimes i feel like I'm no being respected around here, which is fine because respect needs to be deserved, but I do know my stuff... everything I've learned while me being only 19 is from my fatehr who has 25+ years of professional knowledge in cars/mechanics/electronics....and he is the one who tought me everything I know.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I don't think that anyone is dis-respecing you, man. I know I surely did not mean anything I said to be in that manner. Otherwise, I am challenging you, and everyone else out there to actually do things to the car, and post here -- just like you did -- to share your findings!

You [to my knowledge] are the onyl one with the K&N. I am the only one with an active SCT tuner running. I need to get me a K&N and then post the differences.

There aren't many of us on the board, and then that number is limited to who does what to their ride.

I am planning on getting the Magnaflow exhaust. I have the tuner, and shortly when my stores get the 33-2340 -- I'll have that too.

We all appreciate the findings that you have provided, but 45mpg IS hard to believe. I am positive once we get some more people getting the filter and can also prove that -- hey...In God we trust, all others we monitor.

·
Registered
596 Posts
point taken

1 - 20 of 35 Posts