FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm new to the club, I just bought my 06 Fusion SE V6 two weeks ago and I'm in heaven! I liked the way FusionFury32 modified his headlights, so I thought I'd take his idea a step further and modify the tail lamps! I am very happy with the result!

Here's a front shot just for fun:

As you can see in the closeups, instead of taking the chrome pinstripe all the way across, I stopped it just short of the edges. I hope you guys like what I've done, let me know what you think! I know this look won't be for everyone, but I love it and I guess that's all that matters. I like to be different, and now there is certainly no Fusion in my town that looks like mine!

- Geist

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
I like it :)

The hideous tails on the Fusion are the main reason I bought a Milan instead. This kinda cuts down on the cheap chrome appearance of them.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I really like the idea. The factory tails look like shit! Only change would be to bring them down some more to match up to the bodyline on the side of the car. That could also cut off a bit to much of the lamp itself tho, just thoughts!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Dang!! That looks GOOD! What did you use to do it Geist? Pretty original I must say.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm glad that some of you like the look I've made so far, and I hope to hear from some more of you. I know this look isn't for everybody, but if you don't like it I'd like to know, just try to be nice, okay? :) I'll try to answer some of your questions:

[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=87511.msg1673573#msg1673573 date=1188268935]
I really like the idea. The factory tails look like shit! Only change would be to bring them down some more to match up to the bodyline on the side of the car. That could also cut off a bit to much of the lamp itself tho, just thoughts!
[/quote]

Jaysen, you're right, it would look good to take it a bit lower. But like you said, I was worried about blocking out too much of the tail light. It probably would have worked, if I ever redo it I just might try matching that bodyline. Thanks for the idea!

[quote author=Grant link=topic=87511.msg1673981#msg1673981 date=1188278743]
are those gibson exhaust tips if or if not what size are they (looks very porportional)
[/quote]

The exhaust tips are sized 3.5" by Superior Performance, I also think they fit the exhaust cut outs very well, thanks man!

[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87511.msg1674063#msg1674063 date=1188284628]
Dang!! That looks GOOD! What did you use to do it Geist? Pretty original I must say.
[/quote]

Thanks man, that's glossy black vinyl from a local sign shop and a chrome pinstripe along the edge of the vinyl. The idea came from FusionFury32, he used this technique on his headlights, and I decided to try this on my tails. It was very cheap and easy to do, you just have to take your time. Thanks for the nice comments, bro!

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
Hi Geist. :wavey: Actually looks pretty good. Nice job!

I am really not one for many "mods", being a bit older than the average forum member (Ah, to be young again! :joshers:) but it looks good.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I was about to say I didn't like it because it interferes with the kinship to the headlights, but I see you modified those also, and it looks great with both squared off like that. Good work!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks man, that's glossy black vinyl from a local sign shop and a chrome pinstripe along the edge of the vinyl. The idea came from FusionFury32, he used this technique on his headlights, and I decided to try this on my tails. It was very cheap and easy to do, you just have to take your time. Thanks for the nice comments, bro!
So, kind of like I expected - I'm screwed having the charcoal beige color. Do you know if vinyl like that can be painted with any degree of success?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Good idea, but I would rather see you follow a body line instead of randomly placing it on the taillight. Makes the rear end look really choppy.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks bbf, Ceace, and 11011101 for the comments! Glad you guys like it. :D

[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87511.msg1680045#msg1680045 date=1188499547]

So, kind of like I expected - I'm screwed having the charcoal beige color. Do you know if vinyl like that can be painted with any degree of success?
[/quote]

Well, not necessarily, a good sign shop may be able to match your paint color, just have them take a look. The shop I went to said they had lots of different shades of vinyl to choose from, chances are there's a close enough match that you won't be able to tell. But if they can't, I don't see why painting it wouldn't work...

[quote author=JCalka link=topic=87511.msg1681931#msg1681931 date=1188576942]
Good idea, but I would rather see you follow a body line instead of randomly placing it on the taillight. Makes the rear end look really choppy.
[/quote]

Yeah, I understand what you're saying and I'm thinking about redoing it to match the lower body line. I tried following the high ridge/crease but it didn't seem to cover enough of the light, and the lower line may cover up too much. I'm still undecided, thanks for the comment.

btw, I don't consider the placing of the eyelid random at all. I was very heavily inspired by the look of the MKIV Jettas, here's a few examples.

This is also evident in the way I modified the headlights, which are very reminiscent of the MKIV. As you can see, I'm a big fan of European cars and I wanted that squared off look!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.