·
Registered
1,444 Posts
The 12W6 - 12" subwoofer:
Power Handling 300W (RMS)
* Continuous Power Handling: 300 Watts
* Voice Coil: 2.5" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
* Available Configurations: Dual 6 ohm
* Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.44" (11.1 mm)
* Sealed Enclosure Range: 0.75-1.75 cu.ft. (21.0-49.5 liters)
* Ported Enclosure Range: 1.50-2.50 cu.ft. (42.5-71.0 liters)

The 12W3 - 12" subwoofer:
# Continuous Power Handling: 300 Watts
# Voice Coil: 2.25" diameter, 4-layer, Kapton former
# Impedence: Dual 4-ohm Voice Coils
# Xmax (one-way, linear): 0.46"-0.51" (11.7-13.0 mm) depending on specific model
# Sealed Enclosure Range: 1.00-1.50 cu.ft. (28.3-42.0 liters)
# Ported Enclosure Range: 2.00-3.00 cu.ft. (57.0-85.0 liters)
# VRCtm Technology: YES
# Elevated Frame Technology: YES

Definitely 2 12W3's.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, I don't really know if I'd call the 12W3 a "cheaper" sub. There's obviously more variability in the 12W3, but I think you're calling the 12W3 a KIA while calling the 12W6 a Lincoln, and that's not the case at all. They are both very good speakers. Anything that JL puts out is above average. Of course it's also about what kind of sound you're trying to obtain. One 12W6 would probably be more than enough for most, but you would get excellent sound from two of the 12W3's. I had a pair of the JL 8" versions of this sub in my truck, powered with a big MTX amp and they sounded awesome. I had many people riding with me that said that my system in my car sounded better than my home theater system in the house. Of course, if you put the "1 good sub" in your Fusion and then hooked it up to a Boss amp, it'll sound like crap no matter how you configured it.

The cheapest way out is to get one of the 12W6's, which is still an awesome upgrade IMO. Not to mention the amplification needed is less. You could even buy the same amp that you would normally power two subs with, turn down the gain, and your bass would sound even better. Personally, if I wanted a sub box in my trunk, I would do the two subs in a heartbeat. With all the golfing and traveling that I do, there is no way that would have been acceptable to my taste.....so I got some higher quality 3-way 6x9's instead and run them off a small sub amp.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, after installing my 6x9's today, I realize that there's no way I would ever need a sub.

Now I need a factory HU to replace the one that fried.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts