FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the morning I pull out of the drive way (in reverse) and notice I don't have much braking power what so ever. I have to push pretty hard to get her to stop. Now, once I get going, she seems fine. Does it take the system a few moment to build pressure? Is the problem caused because I am on the brake from starting the car until I shift from Reverse to Drive?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back from camping! Boy I needed a weekend off! Chris - I will have to try that. I just came from a 5-speed so some habits (brake and clutch) die hard. I will try that Monday morning and will report back.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Was the car sitting outside? Was it raining or had you just washed the car? Rust on the rotors definitly changes the pedal feel for the first couple stops.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was halfway down the driveway when I realized I forgot to start the car with the brake pedal not pushed. This is going to be a hard habit to break! (No pun intended!) The car is inside and I have not even been able to wash it since it keeps raining every day (and I was gone all weekend). But I know what you are talking about.

I will give status sometime this week when I actually start the car without the brake in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally started the car without the brake being used. It was slighly better. I wonder if these cars seem to take a while to build enough pressure. Or I could have a problem with my booster or something. No one else has a steep driveway they back out of in the morning?

·
Super Moderator
5,962 Posts
[quote author=rmayes link=topic=86480.msg1663824#msg1663824 date=1187880214]
Finally started the car without the brake being used. It was slighly better. I wonder if these cars seem to take a while to build enough pressure. Or I could have a problem with my booster or something. No one else has a steep driveway they back out of in the morning?
[/quote]

Hi rmayes. :wavey: You should make an appointment for Service at your Dealer. This is not a normal situation.

As Waldo stated, if it had rained or been humid, there can be some surface rust on the brake rotors and it will alter the brake feel for a stop or two. But what you are describing sounds like a possible problem.

I have an MKZ, and it does not exhibit the same symptoms. Nor does my other car, or any car I have ever driven.

As I said, call the Dealership and make an appointment. Since it only seems to do it first start in the morning, you may have to leave it overnight for them to be able to replicate the symptoms in the morning. Ask if they will provide you a loaner car. Some Dealers do, so it never hurts to ask.

When you bring your car in, give as much detail as possible. Be very specific (i.e., it happens first start up of the morning, in reverse, with foot on brake when you turn the key to start the car, etc, etc.), so the Service Tech knows what to look for.

Probably nothing serious, but you should have it checked..

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
Reverse is going to have the most torque of any gear (actually an underdrive) so probably just trans. pushing your car harder backward than forward.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That certainly could be a part of it, along with going down the driveway. I still need to take it in, but the dealership has been busy with recall or something. I guess I will just have to wait a bit longer to get it in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.