FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do the seams of your doors on your fusion have the same gap like mine? I live in canada and im worried about rust getting in there. Should i spray something in there or fill it with something?
First time posting pics so i hope it works.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Just checked... Mine look the same. Not sure if you should fill it or not.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Yep mine to.

·
Registered
580 Posts
[quote author=dirtyddd link=topic=77865.msg1420548#msg1420548 date=1179498367]
Do the seams of your doors on your fusion have the same gap like mine? I live in canada and im worried about rust getting in there. Should i spray something in there or fill it with something?
First time posting pics so i hope it works.
Thanks

[/quote]

I wondered how long it would take for someone to bring this up. I picked my Milan up in December of 05 and noticed it the first time I washed the car. The perceived flaw is there for a purpose but not for the Milan or Fusion. It’s there for the Lincoln because the Zephyr uses an extra rubber seal at the bottom of the door. That semi open seam is used to hold the seal in place. I thought about filing it up with RTV Silicone but never did. :?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes mine is the same also. I didn't notice it until I inspected the rustproofing job they did on my car. I live in Wisconsin, and we put a lot of salt on the roads, so I share your concern.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Same gap on mine too, but I checked a few other cars, and this isn't rare.

I picked up the rust and stain package for $900 from my dealer.
it included zinc coating the chassis and inside the doors as well as teflon overcoating for the chassis and body. The interior includes a silicone sealed dash, console, and upholstery(much better than scotch guard.)
While it was gimmicky, and I used to sell cars, so I know how useless the "upgrade" can be. But this wasn't your regular drill in and zinc blast , then undercarriage rubber spray. I do live in a volatile climate that brings out a ton of humidity in warm months and a ton of salt to the roads in the winter. Plus it came with a 10 year warranty on all stains , cracks, oxidation, swirly marks, and of course, any rust. I haven't had a car that made 10 years without getting blemishes from regular wear, so I'm going to hold them to it :D I can't say that it was worth it yet, but in due time, I might be glad that I opted for it. Thats always the catch with anything that is a extended warranty/supplement, sometimes it pans out, sometimes you never need it, and I'll take option 2 any day!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just get some RTV Silicone and seal it....end of problem.

Should be a TSB for it though and FORD should seal that before they leave the factory, sloppy, sloppy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
im now thinking the gap is so the water airs out. If i use a sealant and any moisture gets in (and it will) then you can have rust.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=mrc link=topic=77865.msg1427633#msg1427633 date=1179782808]
I rust-proofed my vehicle by moving down south where it doesn't snow. :lol:
[/quote]

Amen, brother. Amen. :banana:

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I'm not sure if that gap serves a purpose, but it's very common on a lot of cars. My Silverado has it, my PT Cruiser has it, my friend's TSX has it...

·
Registered
153 Posts
So why does the lincoln have the extra seals at the bottom of the door??? For extra sound proofing??? I might order the Lincoln seals and add them to my Fusion if thats the case. I like a quiet ride. Anybody though about doing that?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
[quote author=jutod link=topic=77865.msg2865235#msg2865235 date=1231987891]
So why does the lincoln have the extra seals at the bottom of the door??? For extra sound proofing??? I might order the Lincoln seals and add them to my Fusion if thats the case. I like a quiet ride. Anybody though about doing that?
[/quote]

Sound proofing was my guess.

When I sold Mazda's, one of the things we were supposed to demonstrate/show on the CX-9's was the double rubber seal around all the doors. It was for sound proofing reasons. I don't see why you couldn't ad this to a Fusion or Milan.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.