FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to remember there being a post about a possible 2nd USB port hidden somewhere in 2010 Fusions (maybe it was a mini-USB port)? Does anyone know if there is any merit to this? I have my ipod plugged into the one in the armrest-console, which I use to listen to music from, but if there's a second one, I'd love to have a 2nd USB cable plugged into it so that I can also charge my cell phone without needing to use a cigarette lighter adapter. I know I can just plug a cig-charger into the power port in the armrest, but I figured if there's a 2nd USB port, I can eliminate an extra piece of equipment.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Never seen one. Haven't gone digging too much, but I did remove the radio bezel to paint it and never saw a hidden device behind there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
On the 2009 Fusion there is a second USB port. The Sync module is located in the back of the center console and has a second port on it. I have run an extension cable from it to my glove compartment where I have a second thumb drive for added music storage.
For this to work you will need a cable with a mini B plug on one end and a female A plug on the other.
As far as I know nothing has changed for the 2010 year.
The cover on the back of the console can be hard to remove but it does snap off.
To access the second port from sync just say "USB2".
Hope this helps,
Wayne

·
Registered
555 Posts
^ Interesting information...! Thanks, Wayne!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I find the normal Fusion USB port is not very good for charging a cell phone. Do you think the USB2 port will be any better for this? I somehow doubt it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Sync Module on 2010 and up Fusions (Located at the end of the center console, behind the rear cover) does have a 2nd USB port. It is a USB-Mini-B female socket, pretty much just as the older Fusions had. As mentioned, you need a cable that has a USB-Mini-B male at one end, and a USB-A female socket at the other end. If you are looking to add the 2nd port alongside the first port (inside the armrest), this cable assembly (About $15) is an easy solution (no adapters, and panel mountable).

If you are looking to add the port more than 24" from the Sync module, then you can use a USB-A Male to USB Mini-B Male (very common cable) alongside with a gender-bender (USB-A Male to USB-A Female). You also could request a custom build of that panel cable above. A quote on a 6 foot cable was $50, with 4-8 week time frame. There are other options as well, such as buying a cable from a wrecked car that had sync. Splicing is not recommended due to USB characteristics.

I have not ever charged a phone on this 2nd port, but by theory, it should be no different then the first port.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is some vert good info.

Thanks

·
Registered
321 Posts
Really good info guys ... thanks ... does anyone have a picture of where this is ... are you talking about the backside of the center console facing the rear seats ... I would love to access this port. Why did Ford decide to hide this away? Whats the purpose of not allowing access?

Also the Ford system does not support USB hubs. I tried a long time ago with my 2010.

·
Registered
171 Posts
[quote author=DreadX link=topic=201079.msg4240058#msg4240058 date=1339783075]
Really good info guys ... thanks ... does anyone have a picture of where this is ... are you talking about the backside of the center console facing the rear seats ... I would love to access this port. Why did Ford decide to hide this away? Whats the purpose of not allowing access?

Also the Ford system does not support USB hubs. I tried a long time ago with my 2010.
[/quote]

the second port is on the back of the center console, sort of where your toes would hit if you sat in the middle of the back seat.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/index.php?/topic/3571-2010-fusion-usb2-location/page__p__37447#entry37447

it should be pointed out that this is only open if you do not have nav. the nav system uses this second usb port when installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts