FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay basically im having alot of rattling issues in the car for the past 2 weeks,I've had a loud clunk in my passenger side rear end everytime i go over potholes,ridges or anything on the road that should make the suspension move alot and it happens only on the passenger side towards the rear it almost sounds like tennis balls that come in plastic tubes and u shake it up and down(just to give u a visual of what im talking about). but lately it seems everything in my car rattles now the whole dash,door panels chirps and or rattles when front suspension hits even the smallest bump B-pillars seems to make noises I've taken the plastic covers off(Both b-pillar) and foamed everything and its quieted down a bit but is still making noises and i've noticed alot of rattling towards the rear of the car, sounds as if its hollow and every little thing echoes in there. what can i do? BTW I've been to the dealership twice and they tell me they dont know what it is they cant find where its coming from. Is this an acceptable answer? or should i really look into fighting this?

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
I wonder if one of your exhaust hangers might be broken or a loose engine/trans. mount. Maybe the dealer was only checking suspension? Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Heya. For the rattles in the back, have you checked the jack and related hardware? It is located in the right rear fender well of the trunk and has been know to cause just such noises if not secured properly. I know that won't help the front any, but maybe it might at least quiet some of it down... :(

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[quote author=Skull_Cowboy link=topic=93702.msg1832492#msg1832492 date=1194270653]
Heya. For the rattles in the back, have you checked the jack and related hardware? It is located in the right rear fender well of the trunk and has been know to cause just such noises if not secured properly. I know that won't help the front any, but maybe it might at least quiet some of it down... :(
[/quote]
no its definately not that already took the jack and even the spare tire out and same thing happens, im starting to really think its a suspension problem just yersterday i was driving on the highway and i hit a really hard expansion gap and the rear sounded as if sumone took a hammer to the underchassis.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have the same issues with my Milan. The only noise I cannot seem to get rid of is the tennis balls (or ball in a box as I described it). I did just about everything you mentioned above. I believe the noise is actually coming from the front, even though it sounds like the rear of the car. Roll over a speed bump about 10 mph or so. When I do this the noise surfaces before the rear tires even hit. Also, try some grease on the door latches (in the door not on the body). That actually fixed a number of my rattles. My dealer concluded that it was a "normal trait" of the vehicle. Yea...OK...and I'm Bill Gates.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=93702.msg1833503#msg1833503 date=1194296821]
I have the same issues with my Milan. The only noise I cannot seem to get rid of is the tennis balls (or ball in a box as I described it). I did just about everything you mentioned above. I believe the noise is actually coming from the front, even though it sounds like the rear of the car. Roll over a speed bumo about 10 mph or so. When I do this the noise surfaces before the rear tires even hit. Also, try some grease on the door latches (in the door not on the body). That actually fixed a number of my rattles. My dealer concluded that it was a "normal trait" of the vehicle. Yea...OK...and I'm Bill Gates.
[/quote]

I dont think oil will do i mean every tiny imperfection on roads is making the car rattle alot the doors when u close them vibrate and rattle the whole car sounds like an Empty wooden house i think every single panel in my car has loosened up my car has gotten progressively louder even road noise is so loud now. im 100% positive my noise is from the rear even the mechanic at ford dealer said the same. not to mention now drivers seat creaks alot specially when i turn left or if i accelerate from stand still it seems to be inside the actual seat i sumtimes put pressure into my seat using my fist and it creaks alot this car is becoming umbearable. I called ford up some technician is suppose to contact me 2morrow or wednesday.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Not oil...Grease. Also, there is a TSB out for rattles in the door panels. Sounds like your car is worse then mine was so I feel your pain. Good luck with the Ford Rep. Let us know how you make out. Also, what year/month was you car bought/mfg'd.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well my car is a 2007 I bought it April 11,2007 Manufacturing date:01/07 and im sorry i meant Grease. I just believe that my door panels are loose everytime u bang on it lightly it sounds loose, yea im going to request to drive a new fusion just to compare cars.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Dino,

I can't really explain the suspension noise. Where you live, is the temperature getting cooler and are you using the heat more? If so, the expansion & contraction of the interior panels might be the reason for the increase in interior noises. If this is the case, when spring comes around, the panels should be back to normal.

Happy driving!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea i live in New York and its starting to get cold here but my car should not rattle this much the car is 6months old, my doors are rattling they shouldnt be and it happens with heat on or off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=93702.msg1833503#msg1833503 date=1194296821]
I have the same issues with my Milan. The only noise I cannot seem to get rid of is the tennis balls (or ball in a box as I described it). I did just about everything you mentioned above. I believe the noise is actually coming from the front, even though it sounds like the rear of the car. Roll over a speed bump about 10 mph or so. When I do this the noise surfaces before the rear tires even hit. Also, try some grease on the door latches (in the door not on the body). That actually fixed a number of my rattles. My dealer concluded that it was a "normal trait" of the vehicle. Yea...OK...and I'm Bill Gates.
[/quote]
I just realized 2day going over a bump that when mu front wheels hit the bump it made that clunk that sounds in the rear (really strange the way sound travels)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Dino,

When you are about to go over a bump that will make your door rattle, try taking your finger and pressing on a particular spot on the door. Keep doing this until you can isolate which part of the door the sound is coming from. When the service tech or you take the door panel off, you know which area to inspect. I know what you mean about the sound thing, it can be really tricky figuring out where the sound(s) are actually coming from.

Good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well it seems to happen with every door they all rattle i noticed a big rattle if i open my drivers side window about 2-3 inches it sounds really loud over bumps and if i hit the panel with my fist when the window is down 2-3 inches it rattles alot sounds like a loose spring or bolts,and i dont think that TSB applies to my car because my car is 2007 and its not so much a creak its more of a metallic clunk.

·
Registered
833 Posts
My dealer checked that TSB and it's not my car either (2006 Milan). I have had half my car apart trying to isolate it ("b" pillar, door panels, rear seat bolster, plastic cowl under the car & in wheel wells, rear tail light, rear deck etc:) and the only thing I have found is that, as stated above, it happens when the front suspension hits bumps, like speed bumps, not pot holes. The dealer has had at least three times because everytime I bring it in I ask them to look at it. The last time I was able to have the service manager ride with me and he definitely heard it. Really sucks. I don't so much mind having a problem with my car as long as it is fixable. I have had many of the same problems as you dino and they (or I) were able fix them. Also, had alignment and brake probllems. Let's keep looking maybe we find something and then we can pass it along. Maybe we should all call Ford/Mercury and put on the pressure. If there are enough of us it might help.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=93702.msg1845016#msg1845016 date=1194705657]
My dealer checked that TSB and it's not my car either (2006 Milan). I have had half my car apart trying to isolate it ("b" pillar, door panels, rear seat bolster, plastic cowl under the car & in wheel wells, rear tail light, rear deck etc:) and the only thing I have found is that, as stated above, it happens when the front suspension hits bumps, like speed bumps, not pot holes. The dealer has had at least three times because everytime I bring it in I ask them to look at it. The last time I was able to have the service manager ride with me and he definitely heard it. Really sucks. I don't so much mind having a problem with my car as long as it is fixable. I have had many of the same problems as you dino and they (or I) were able fix them. Also, had alignment and brake probllems. Let's keep looking maybe we find something and then we can pass it along. Maybe we should all call Ford/Mercury and put on the pressure. If there are enough of us it might help.
[/quote]

Hey eiching1 im glad to hear (not glad but u know) that others have that problem, I called Ford and I've been staying in touch with some representative she said she is getting back to me on Monday to see what we are going to do about this i requested a loaner vehicle or rental during the time that it goes into the dealer again because I cant be without a car I've brought my car in 2xtimes for that clunk and no fix matter fact they told me they couldnt duplicate noise at one point. so now i believe that ford is interested in my concern I've been emphasizing the word "SAFETY" to really get them worried and solve this situation. EICHING1 I think you should give Ford a call to see if we can get something happening here. I mean in my perfect dreams i just wish they told me "we're going to take the car back and you can pick out a new fusion with a lil XTRAS lol" but thats not going to happen. let me know what goes on.

·
Registered
833 Posts
dino, Ok I know you have a 2007, what model? 4 cylinder? Auto? It would be interesting to find out if it is only certain models (I have a I4 auto). If so, that may help Ford isolate the issue. I think we should start a new post to try get some other identified and involved. Then we can all call Ford/Mercury at the same time. If you notice this post has been read over 200 times, so I know it's not just you and I.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=93702.msg1846218#msg1846218 date=1194790047]
dino, Ok I know you have a 2007, what model? 4 cylinder? Auto? It would be interesting to find out if it is only certain models (I have a I4 auto). If so, that may help Ford isolate the issue. I think we should start a new post to try get some other identified and involved. Then we can all call Ford/Mercury at the same time. If you notice this post has been read over 200 times, so I know it's not just you and I.
[/quote]

ok 2007 Fusion SEL 4cyl Auto, whatever you want to do I'm with it we all have to get to the bottom of this and fix an issue that is definately not a normal trait. If you wanna start a new post then lets do it.

·
Registered
833 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Well I got my back on friday and the squeaky noise is still there. I'm going to check if I need to lubricate the suspension bushings. Also I have a popping or clunky noise when I press on the breaks when I go on reverse for a while now. I honestly starting to hate my Fusion and I know my car is a not a lemon because it only had a couple miles on it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts