FordFusionClub.com banner

IS IT TRASHED - Over-Extending the Rear Brake Caliper

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  waze 
#1 ·
I'm working on my 2014 fusion Titanium AWD
I accidently overextended the brake caliper piston while replacing the brake pads. And now I can't get it retracted, even with a C clamp. I had already replaced the pads on the DR side and everything went just as planed. The cylinder turned easily with just a socket on the driver end. I could turn it with just the socket and NO socket wrench.
On the Pass side, I unhooked the electric connection to the motor that extends the pads and removed the motor, just like on the other side. The Pass side was not as clean as the DR side was, at first glance. I put a socket on the driving end and it was tight, and had to use the socket wrench. It was un-expectedly tight to turn, so being a dumb ars, I turned it the other way. It went easier, but was the wrong way and over-extended it.
Is it trashed?? Now the screw will spin and spin... and even with a C clamp I can't compress the piston. It stuck with about an inch to go to be fully retracted.
Thanks all, in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Hi Dlee and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. We are moving this thread about repairing your brake caliper to the Ford Fusion "Suspension and Brakes" sub-forum, where it will hopefully receive more appropriate viewing and help from other Ford Fusion Club members.

Good luck.
Thanks for your help. I'm new to this site and having a problem finding the correct area to place this posting.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Thanks for everyone's help. After finding out that I didn't wreck them, I looked at them closer and was able to screw the cylinder back in after renting a brake replacement kit from a local auto parts store.
FYI... I did not put the car in "Service Mode". I read that it would not be necessary if you remove the electric motor from the caliper before adjusting the piston.
New pads are on, No warning lights, brakes seem to be working fine.
Once again... thanks all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.