FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to use OEM 17” system from Fusion on aftermarket or OEM 18” or 20” wheels (i.e., use Mazda CX-9 OEM 18” or 20” wheels) will the bands, fasteners etc… work or would they be to short? If so is it only the bands that need to changed, reusing the sensors etc…

·
Registered
584 Posts
I suppose it is possible to cause a problem, but the way the indirect system works is comparing wheel speed W with X, Y, and Z. If you change the wheel/tire size, the wheel speed sensors will still rotate in unison and therefore there will be no noticible difference for any given wheel. When tire pressure in the front-left wheel is low, the overall diameter of the wheel became smaller thhan the other three. The ABS/wheel-speed sensor for that wheel reports a time for a complete revolution to be happening much faster than the other three. The car then alerts you to a low tire pressure in that wheel based on the difference that wheel is spinning in relation to the other three.

Example:
The v6 stock wheel is approximately 215/50/r17 I believe. This, when properly inflated, has a circumference of 80.0 in and completes 792 revolutions every mile.
Lets say your tire deflated to a 215/45/r17 size just by the loss in tire pressure. The circumference changes to 77.3in and completes 819 revolutions per mile.

The computer sees three wheels spinning 792 rev/mile and one spinning 819 rev/mile. It reports the 819 rev/mile tire as having a low pressure.

This comparison of differences allowes the manufacturer to offer a wide variety of wheel sizes (from 13" Ford Fiesta wheels to 22" Harley-Davidson F150 wheels) using the same TPMS on every vehicle. It's relative. 8)

Short: You can re-use the sensors. The bands may or may not fit, depending on how big you go (I see it working on 18" wheels, but not 20" wheels), but the sensors themselves

·
Registered
5 Posts
well the sensors will work they will be the same, but the band won't work bigger than 18 unless you tried a band from a 20 inch truck wheel..but likely not going to work...

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The factory bands that are currently mounted are cut to fit the wheel on the car now. You would need to buy extra bands. The ones we use around the shop are one size fits all, but then cut to lenth.

·
Registered
108 Posts
seawolf you just confused the heck outta me. the tpms that I deal with every day at ford doesn't work that way. The only thing that reads revolutions of the wheel are speed sensors. Nothing to do with tpms.
If what you are saying is true how is it possible for the light to stay on after it's self test when you crank the car in the am? before you ever move.

Jaysen the bands you order from ford as replacements are the same way. One size fits all, They are kinda like the hose clamps of old that tighten with screwdriver. Once you install the bands and new sensors they will have to be "trained" to the vech with this handy dandy little tpms thingy we have. Not sure if you guys at the aftermarket shops have those or not yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Principles of Operation

NOTE: The smart junciton box (SJB) is also referred to as the generic electronic module (GEM).

The tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency signals, to the SJB. TPMS functionality is integral to the SJB. These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function compares each tire pressure sensor transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the instrument cluster. The instrument cluster then illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).

For vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures (such as the E-Series and certain F-Series), the tire pressures must be adjusted and the tire pressure sensors must be trained following a tire rotation. Failure to train the sensors will cause the TPMS indicator to illuminate.

For vehicles with the same tire pressures for front and rear tires, tire rotation will not affect the system

^^^^^
fords mumbo jumbo workshop explanation.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
[quote author=wingfoot link=topic=95856.msg1883908#msg1883908 date=1196300699]
Jaysen the bands you order from ford as replacements are the same way. One size fits all, They are kinda like the hose clamps of old that tighten with screwdriver. Once you install the bands and new sensors they will have to be "trained" to the vech with this handy dandy little tpms thingy we have. Not sure if you guys at the aftermarket shops have those or not yet.
[/quote]

Yup sounds like those. Yes, we have 3 Diff. TPMS tools to reset sensors. Its quite a pain in the butt.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ford does not use an indirect TPMS system, so you don't have to worry about wheel diameter affecting the TPMS. The bands installed at the factory are not reuseable, so even if you have wheels exactly the same size, you will need new bands. Factory bands are crimped on, while the replacement bands have a worm screw, just like a regular hose clamp. Shouldn't be a problem to swap the sensors over though. When you reuse the same sensors, you won't even need to reprogram them.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx..Waldo just the put I was lookin' for! I'll look into getting replacement bands and reusing all else

·
Registered
584 Posts
Oops, guess I should have done my research first. The method I was describing uses the ABS wheel sensor to sense a difference in wheel spin. It's an older method, and not as accurate as a pressure monitor in the wheel, which the Fusion seems to use.

My bad :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
DIll Air Controls makes replacement bands, most tire warehouses should carry them, and Discount Tire Direct is now carrying them. Should help you out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts