FordFusionClub.com banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
[quote author=Nr9 link=topic=79421.msg1511730#msg1511730 date=1182652121]
car makers go with platinum as OEM which imo is good enough
[/quote]

Until you've driven a performance vehicle with an iridium plug upgrade after having driven with the platinums. Then you will see that there is a better alternative.

[quote author=mrc link=topic=79421.msg1511743#msg1511743 date=1182653109]
[/quote]

Until you've driven a performance vehicle with an iridium plug upgrade after having driven with the platinums. Then you will see that there is a better alternative.
[/quote]

maybe the performanace vehicle just has a better engine

hmm searching motorcraft's catalog it seems like the oem may be iridium

SP433 Suppressor Spark Plug
IRIDIUM - .054 GAP

the I4 use platinum spark plugs and the V6 has the iridium as OEM

[quote author=Nr9 link=topic=79421.msg1512188#msg1512188 date=1182670970]
[quote author=mrc link=topic=79421.msg1511743#msg1511743 date=1182653109]
[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe the performanace vehicle just has a better engine
[/quote]

Read the above statement. Until you've driven a performance VEHICLE with an iridium plug upgrade after having driven with the platinums. This implies there is one vehicle and you change the plugs from a platinum to iridium.

the stock plugs may be Iridium, I think I read that somewhere too, but looking at the plugs they still have a large center electrode and a non-tapered ground electrode. The benefit of Iridium is that it is a very strong metal, thus you can have a thinner center electrode concentrating the spark focus and requiring less voltage to fire. The Champions also have a platinum tapered ground electrode, so they will last a long time and the spark is even more focused on sharper edges of the ground electrode. That should make for a better performing plug over the stockers. My stock plugs are gapped at .052" on my v6 Fusion, same thing on my v6 Escape. I'll be taking the Iridiums up to .054" which is the middle of the gap range, a slightly larger gap should help too, the top of the range is .056" but that might cause the ground electrode to be overly-cocked on my new plugs, so I'll stick with .054".

finally got all my iridium plugs in today, gapped them all at .054". Not sure of any performance gains , it's difficult to tell with the drive by wire system and an auto tranny, but the overall engine runs smoother judging by early impressions. I'll keep an eye on fuel economy over the next while.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Well, it seems this may all be a mute point. I pulled one of my plugs today to see what was actually in the engine. It turns out that the stock plug is the NGK Iridium. Although it says Motorcraft, it is made in Japan and has the same plug number. (ILTR5A-13G) Check the site and see.

https://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?productTypeID=1&AAIA=1432162

FYI- I have a 4 cyl. Milan

I am shocked that Mercury (Ford) actually put them in the car! Must be a Mazda thing....Hooray!

I just did a 3,000 mile trip through the southeast U.S., with the new Champion Iridium plugs in the car. Fuel economy was great and a tad better than what it used to be on my Fusion, I think they made a noticeable difference in increased economy. So far so good, I like them.

eiching1,

Wow, that's pretty cool. I'm going to pull mine soon to lube the threads with anti-seize and see if I have the same ones.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.