FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its probably been asked plenty of times, but my search has only yeilded me results for older fusions, i.e. 2006's and early 07 without the aux input in the center console...

my question is...

how do i go about using my ipod in the car with the aux center console input? Do i just use a wire I can get at best buy and plug it in? Does this mean the Ipod still needs to be controlled on the actual Ipod and not the radio or steering wheel controls? how much is this cable usually?

or, do i need some sort of "kit" to get the ipod to play using the stock stereo and steering wheel controls? How much does this ususally run?

I am just looking for options i have to put the ipod in the car. I know i can just plug it in with the simple cable but i am not sure how the music is then controlled. Ideally it would be better to be able to control it via the radio, but if its that expensive, i may just go the cheaper route...

any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes all you need is a aux wire to plug into the headphone jack of the ipod, and yes you will still need to control the ipod from the ipod. Set radio to aux input. I bought this it provides line level audio output and charging. http://www.sik.com/imp.php Sucks to not be able to control your ipod from the radio, but far cheaper than the Trip Tunes Advance kit from Ford. But if you want the real deal here is the part number from Ford.
TripTunes™ Advanced
Part Number: 7R3Z-19A464-A
MSRP: $250.00
Plus you will also need
TripTunes™ Advanced Wiring Harness
Part Number: 7R3Z-14A411-AC
MSRP: $50.00

·
Registered
21 Posts
you can also buy a new head unti like i did and be able to control the IPOD through the touch screen. In fact, with the head unti i bought, the IPOD itself is disabled and you have to control it through the head unit. There are pictures of my head unit are under the "Double Din In Dash DVD" topic in this section..check it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... i am not trying to buy a new headunit but it looks great phil.

River, is there any other type of interface cheaper then that to work for the fusion. I would really like to control the ipod through the steering wheel controls, but def would not pay 250 for it. I read something about Peripheral Electronics making an interface for fords, but it seems that it plugs into the back of the radio. Does anyone know anything about this? Do they sell a kit to plug into the aux input?

·
Registered
359 Posts
the periph unit that controls the ipod through the steering controls does not work correctly. do not buy it. I have tested 3 or 4 of them and they all failed.

There isnt really anything cheaper than the ford product above. You either get that or a new head unit.

Your best bet is to just get the sik cable mentioned above so it charges and plays through your dock connector.

·
Registered
580 Posts
For those interested, I just got done installing a Direct Connect iPod Adapter (By:BRANDMOTION) in our 2006 Mercury Milan. The whole job took about 20 minutes. With shipping, the cost to me was $291.18. The beauty of this unit is that everything works (steering wheel controls, display on radio shows the number and name of the song).
The car must have the AUX In button on the 6CD Radio. I just left the iPod connection in the glove box, since it is not necessary to look at the unit for operation.
There is two plugs in use on the back of the radio that you disconnect and insert the supplied pig tail, then re-connect the factory loom with the output box and iPod connection.
Part # IPDCFD001 for a 6CD Radio with AUX In Button and no Satellite Radio.

Update: As of late, I have had some connectivity issues. Some times after I let the car set over night, the radio will not recognize the unit until I unplug and re-plug the I-Pod (Nano) . The other issue is if I toggle through the music too much, the display will
go blank on the radio and the controls will lock up (not able to control the I-Pod from the radio or steering wheel). The only way to re-set this is to shut the car down, remove the key and then re-start. I contacted the factory and they sent me another box but issue is still there. :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
[quote author=Cross Bolt link=topic=74532.msg1946046#msg1946046 date=1198665051]
For those interested, I just got done installing a Direct Connect iPod Adapter (By:BRANDMOTION) in our 2006 Mercury Milan. The whole job took about 20 minutes. With shipping, the cost to me was $291.18. The beauty of this unit is that everything works (steering wheel controls, display on radio shows the number and name of the song).
The car must have the AUX In button on the 6CD Radio. I just left the iPod connection in the glove box, since it is not necessary to look at the unit for operation.
There is two plugs in use on the back of the radio that you disconnect and insert the supplied pig tail, then re-connect the factory loom with the output box and iPod connection. It really works well.
[/quote]

How does it sound? Is it as good as a cd or does it sound like a FM radio station?

·
Registered
580 Posts
[quote author=Mav2u link=topic=74532.msg1949905#msg1949905 date=1198795475]
[quote author=Cross Bolt link=topic=74532.msg1946046#msg1946046 date=1198665051]
There is two plugs in use on the back of the radio that you disconnect and insert the supplied pig tail, then re-connect the factory loom with the output box and iPod connection.
[/quote]

How does it sound? Is it as good as a cd or does it sound like a FM radio station?
[/quote]

It sounds very good. MP3 files can in no way have the depth that Wave Files have.
The information simply isn’t there due to compression.
It is clean and free from noise.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts