FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, sorry if any of this has been discussed already. Couldn't find much. I have an 11 fusion se, I swapped all interior lights to led. Worked fine for a year, until I decided to change to blue leds. I purchased different brand leds that were a good bit brighter. Worked fine for a week or so. Went out the other night for a drive and noticed the lights didn't come on when unlocking, didn't come on when doors opened, not when started, when manually pushed on, nothing. So checked fuse #9. Was blown, put a new fuse in, worked for half a day and blew again. I don't have a multimeter as I know nothing about electricity nor understand it all (I know, lame sorry). If I need one I can learn pretty quick. What I did do though is hook up my think driver to see if anything would pull up. Ran diagnostic and it came up with internal lighting output circuit short to ground. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know what it means and what I can do to fix it? Would a faulty led cause this?or is it a short in the wiring maybe? I looked up to try n figure the location the wires run to lights but not much on that. Not the best knowledge about electricity other than simple basics. Sorry if this is all stupid, just started getting into all this n self taught. Pretty tight on money too so would rather avoid a shop if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Hey, sorry if any of this has been discussed already. Couldn't find much. I have an 11 fusion se, I swapped all interior lights to led. Worked fine for a year, until I decided to change to blue leds. I purchased different brand leds that were a good bit brighter. Worked fine for a week or so. Went out the other night for a drive and noticed the lights didn't come on when unlocking, didn't come on when doors opened, not when started, when manually pushed on, nothing. So checked fuse #9. Was blown, put a new fuse in, worked for half a day and blew again. I don't have a multimeter as I know nothing about electricity nor understand it all (I know, lame sorry). If I need one I can learn pretty quick. What I did do though is hook up my think driver to see if anything would pull up. Ran diagnostic and it came up with internal lighting output circuit short to ground. Has anyone had this problem? Anyone know what it means and what I can do to fix it? Would a faulty led cause this?or is it a short in the wiring maybe? I looked up to try n figure the location the wires run to lights but not much on that. Not the best knowledge about electricity other than simple basics. Sorry if this is all stupid, just started getting into all this n self taught. Pretty tight on money too so would rather avoid a shop if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Hi Justjosh and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. This is a relatively common issue when installing aftermarket LED's in a circuit not designed for LED bulbs. As a first troubleshooting step, I would try reinstalling the correct factory bulbs. Then replace the fuse and see what happens. If everything works fine, it is a problem with the LED's.

If the factory bulbs and a new fuse do not work, then you know it is not a bulb issue (unless the aftermarket bulbs caused deeper electrical system issues) and troubleshooting can proceed from there.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, thanks. Appreciate the help. Do You think it would it be ok to re install the old leds that had no problem? Or back to halogens? I think I actually threw away the factory halogen bulbs as I hate the color they give off. Didn't think switching would create a problem. What do you mean by circuit not designed for leds? I thought leds drew less power so in return was actually easier on everything, like battery etc. What would need to be done to be able to run leds safely inside? I assume other people have switched as well, any problems or have to change anything other than bulbs? Sorry with the questions. Trying to learn all this, mostly trial and error. Would still like to have the whiter or bluish white light if possible.

·
Super Moderator
5,981 Posts
Hey, thanks. Appreciate the help. Do You think it would it be ok to re install the old leds that had no problem? Or back to halogens? I think I actually threw away the factory halogen bulbs as I hate the color they give off. Didn't think switching would create a problem. What do you mean by circuit not designed for leds? I thought leds drew less power so in return was actually easier on everything, like battery etc. What would need to be done to be able to run leds safely inside? I assume other people have switched as well, any problems or have to change anything other than bulbs? Sorry with the questions. Trying to learn all this, mostly trial and error. Would still like to have the whiter or bluish white light if possible.
Hi Justjosh. While it is not as foolproof a test as re-installing the factory bulbs, you can try the previous LED's, since they did work. If they work (after also replacing the fuse), then you know it is definitely the new LED's that are the problem.

You are not the first to have this problem. LED's often require additional components/modifications to work (i.e. capacitors? etc.). And while the issues are not always limited to cheap LED replacements, it does seem to happen more with less expensive ones. Therefore, it is not always as simple as a direct halogen to LED swap, as you have probably found out.
As far as exactly what you would need to make the ble LED's work, I will need to leave that to someone else to recommend.

However, as far as trying to figure out that the issue is: If you do not have the factory bulbs, try the older LED's which worked and see that happens, While it is not as foolproof a test as reinstalling the factory bulbs, it is a good place to start.

Also, one other point I forgot: LED bulbs also have a positive and negative polarity, so you can try turning them around to see if that makes a difference, although the law of averages would be against all the bulbs being in backwards, and that should not normally blown a fuse.

And no problem asking questions, as that is why we are all here...To help and learn.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts