FordFusionClub.com banner

Would you be interested in Turbonetics developing a bolt on Turbo system

Interest in a Turbonetics Turbo System for the Fusion

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  SEL 
#1 ·
Talked with Turbonetics today and they are trying to see if there is interest in the development of a bolt on turbo system for the V6 Fusion. Please leave your feedback as they will be checking this poll.

#6 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=84078.msg1579268#msg1579268 date=1185236626]
Fruition lol. Better then those Shitentra.
[/quote]

LOL, I thankfully I got rid of my Sentra a long time ago (as did MIAPLAYA). Early QR25's were about the worst engines ever :lol:

#7 ·
My biggest concern will be the long term reliabilty/ drivability of the kit. I personally would prefer remote mounting option (putting turbo after headers in the exhaust before the Y-pipe). That means that the kit will be very similar between I4s and V6s since the piping will be very similar.

I would go after low boost (5 psi) with very small turbo and very low lag. I don't want to upgrade any engine/trans components. I will be happy for 50-75 whp extra. I don't want the best performing tubo setup; just one that gives the car more power. I would need this kit to increase torque in 2000-4000 rpm range the most; and not worry about top end power. I need most of my power around town and not at the drag strip. I think the kit needs to emphasize bang for the buck. Get me as much performance as possible for my $$.

BTW I voted for "intrested but only if the price is right."

G
#8 ·
pkoko brings up a good point, that would probably save production cost for the company making it compatible for both the i4 and v6. ya, i guess im not looking for any crazy horsepower gains, just something to get up and go.

I have never looked at turbo's, probably because I never owned a car that was good enough that deserved one. So how much would a small turbo kit cost?

#9 ·
Thank you for the kind words so far :D Right now the discussion is for the V6 version but based on the feedback here both kits may be made. Right now Turbonetics is estimating a price of $4500-5000 please vote based on that. Yes I did work with Turbonetics to make the Spec V kit a reality and it is a quality kit. Turbonetics is looking strongly into the Fusion community but they need to see the interest here. Please cast your votes and spread the word.

#11 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=84078.msg1579701#msg1579701 date=1185244803]
I have never looked at turbo's, probably because I never owned a car that was good enough that deserved one. So how much would a small turbo kit cost?[/quote]

The below costs are my estimates from looking at internet forms.

The cost of the actual turbo or headunit ranges from $500-1500. In addition to that the cost of a intercooler of $500-1000. Additional piping runs around $1500-2500 installed. Plus tunning around $1000. So all in all the whole thing costs around $3.5k-6K installed depending on the installer and difficulty of work.

Regardless of what those above costs are; the cost of the turbo head is not more than 30% the cost of the entire project. That is why I reccomend that the builder who makes this kit plan their parts to give us the best bang for the buck. At low boosts; an intelcooler is not necessary. That will reduce the cost of the kit and make piping easier. An added bonus is that install will be easier. I would make the intercooler an option for extra performance. Again, make the kit for those who want a little more power around town and not at the drag strip.

IMHO, any more power past 75 more whp, or 275 whp(assuming stock puts 200 whp) total, will cost a lot more than bigger turbo. It will cost bigger intercooler if that. It will need upgraded engine internals. It will also require transmission upgrades. Those ugrades alone cost another $3k or so. I don't think that is worth the extra power even it is another 50-100 more whp to a total of 325-375 whp. Besides with that much power; welcome to torque-steering tire spin city. Our drag strip times will not even be all that better. I doubt any of that power can be put on the ground in a consistent basis.

EDIT: I just saw the estimated price of $4.5-5K + install. Install at most decent shops is easily another $1-1.5K. That is a little more $$ that I am willing to consider. I have couple of questions:

Any word on remote mounting?
Does this kit use turbo + intercooler?? If so how much approximate boost and extra hp?
Does this kit come in 2 versions such as low boost completely stock car & hi-performance version?
Any way to avoid the intercooler? That will save tons in piping and $$ cost. Anyway make the intercooler optional?

Please see this link for info:
http://www.superchargersonline.com/hp_calculator.asp?submit=1

#12 ·
I don't like the Idea of a turbo on a v6, I'd want to run two and that would cost to much, make too much power for the stock short block of the v6 and the tranny. I'd want a super charger for that. A turbo for the I4 would be better off making around 6-8PSI, nothing outragous, then like others have said have a stage 2 option with an intercooler. I'd hope for at least 200Hp and not more the 230HP flywheel on the I4.

I voted for the "intervested based off price" poll.

#14 ·
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=84078.msg1586556#msg1586556 date=1185410953]
Ok, how about forget the turbo's. Supercharger the thing! Way easier!
[/quote]

yea, less heat and lag, more low end....

G
#15 ·
You have constant power, no spooling up. Last time I checked you don't need an intercooler do you? maybe you do? i forget lol

I'm pretty sure some superchargers now run off the engine's oil so all you need to do is add more oil and thats how you cool it.

#16 ·
They can use the engine oil for lubrication. What you are thinking about is called and air-to-water intercooler and it uses the engines cooling system to cool the intake charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.