FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a set of the SE Sport appearance 17" wheels from the dealership tomorrow and they want to charge me $68.14 for installation. What a rip! So I'm going to install them myself with my floor jack. This is the first "car" I've gone to jack up and I don't want to screw it up. I'm used to my Jeep where just about anywhere on the solid axle was fine.

Anyway, what spots should I jack the car up on for the front and back?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
take them to wally world, you could get them mounted and balanced and all tha tgood stuff for about ~$30 less

or if not wally world, then just look under the car and be smart about it.

if you don't trust youself, wait for someone on here to tell you or go to autozone/o'reilly's/wherever and ask them

·
Registered
198 Posts
I asked the same question a long time ago here and never got a solid answer. I currently use a piece of 2x4 and put it between the jack and inside of the side rails near the factory jackpoint. I need to move it off a little bit to get it to lie squarely. There has to be a better spot for this where I don't need the 2x4 though.

Please post people.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=74041.msg1347001#msg1347001 date=1176922776]
It is in the owners manual. It is about 3-6 inches in front / back or each tire on the body seem.
[/quote]

That is if you're using the jack that came with the car. I would never use a floor jack on that seam because there is no thickness to it.

I ended up using the tire jack because I couldn't find a "safe" spot to jack up my car.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The body seem is fine no matter what jack is being used. There shouldn't be an issue, as long as it is placed right.

·
Registered
198 Posts
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=74041.msg1361891#msg1361891 date=1177452192]
The body seem is fine no matter what jack is being used. There shouldn't be an issue, as long as it is placed right.
[/quote]I don't agree. It is very easy to bend the seam, especially since many floor jacks do not reach the body of the car, so all the weight is on the seam. You do not want the weight of the car supported by just the seam, which is why this question was raised.

I like that jack attachment. I may consider getting one of those.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ive been working @ Discount tire for years now, I do it everyday on several diff cars makes models ect. We have never had an issue with it, Even every lift we use in the shop lifts cars from the body seems in most cases. We have never had an issue with it. Either way both way can achieve the same results.

·
Registered
325 Posts
[quote author=Cueball link=topic=74041.msg1363380#msg1363380 date=1177504145]
[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=74041.msg1361891#msg1361891 date=1177452192]
[/quote]I don't agree. It is very easy to bend the seam, especially since many floor jacks do not reach the body of the car, so all the weight is on the seam. You do not want the weight of the car supported by just the seam, which is why this question was raised.

I like that jack attachment. I may consider getting one of those.
[/quote]

The attachment is pretty slick.

I have rotated my tires using a floor jack at the jack point on the seam without issue several times on the Milan (and every other car I have owned) without issue.

If you jack the car up enough at the front jack point you can get the rear tire off the ground enough to both at the same time.

Make sure that you are going to use jack stands, especially if you are going to be under the car doing anything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
OK - where do you put the jack stands? Do you put those on the seam too?

·
Registered
21 Posts
like they said, take $30 bucks, go to wally world and have them do it for you if you are this worried about it...get to know your service advisor at your dealership and they will take care of you....$30 is nothing if your sfaety is a priority....just don't eat out a couple of times and you have it paid for....

·
Registered
198 Posts
See that's the attitude the gets our cars screwed up. I rotate my tires and change my oil 5 times a year, every 5k miles. It is sooooo much easier to do it (correctly) at home in my garage than it is to schedule an appt., leave the car, PRAY they do it right, pick up car, pay money that is better off spent on beer, golf, and women!

I bent the seam on my Contour using a floor jack, so those who say it is safe, I beg to differ.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I agree with you Cue. I like to perform my own maintenance on my vehicles, but I have been too lazy to get the tool needed to get that cap off the oil filter so I have been paying to have it done. That money for labor surely could be worth going somewhere else. However, I am still pissed that I had to pay $250 last month because the bastards at CarQuest gave me the wrong air filter (Ford Focus filter) that cause it to get sucked up into the filter housing and allowed the MAF to get clogged with dirt. They said it was my fault because I should have known it was wrong. The filter fit, but I didn'[t pay attention to how the original one was sitting in the housing. That is one time I wish I would have allowed them to do it with the oil change so it would have been their fault.

·
Registered
21 Posts
cue,
i too do my own maintenance.........i was simply suggesting that if he was afraid to do the work himself, then he shouldn't be concerned about the $60 bucks if he has piece of mind by taking it somewhere to be done correctly instead of injuring himself or messing up his car in the process as well...always better to have a professional do it, unless you truly know what you are doing...i got two years maintenance thrown in for free, so i won't have to worry for a while..cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts