1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found these on kijiji - used to be on a mustang so came with 245/45/17s

i replaced two tires

definitely feel the ride is a bit firmer steering kind of feels heavier

also going over bumps i feel the car kind of pull from left to right? not sure if this is normal with the different rim or wider tire?

car is a 2011 and has 82,000kms (51k miles)
just had a brake service so pads and rotors are fine but maybe another part of the suspension is needing replace?

could maybe be alignment?

heres a pic

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi Jordan.

Are the two replacement tires the same brand/model as the others? Mixing tires of different brands/models (and mileage) can cause the "squirmy" condition you describe.
Also verify that the wheel offset is close to the same as the original Fusion wheels. If it isn't close, that will play badly with the suspension geometry.
I assume you have already checked the air pressure and they are all at 33psi.

If you weren't having any issue with the original tires and rims, I would assume that alignment isn't the cause of the change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no they are different 2 of the tires were bald on the outer edge so i replaced with another used pair but kept the pairs on each axle
i didn't measure the offset maybe ill take it to a tire shop and see if they can measure it
as i don't have tools or space to remove a wheel

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Hi Jordan. As eGuru mentioned, offset is important, However, you did not address the inflation/air pressure question, which is very important. What PSI are your tires inflated to?
You also need to have all 4 tires be of the same make, model and approximate tread depth. As was pointed out here and in your similar post on another Fusion forum, mixing tires from different manufacturers, models and tread depths is a no-no. All those variables can lead to the handling problems you describe.
Get back to us with that information, and good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
checked the tire pressure today and 2 tires were a little high at 38psi so i brought everything back to 32psi

also verified and each tire is 245/45/17

today i notice going over bumps the shimmy is a little less severe

but got up to highway speeds and notice a vibration at 95-100km/h

tomorrow im gonna swap back to my winter rims and take these and see if i can trade the tires for a full set of 225/50/17
and balance/check if a rim is bent or something

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so an update

monday i took the rims off to put the winters back on
found out the place i bought the 2 tires from didn't install 1 of the hub rings in the front
when they gave me the ring i thought it was one stuck in the rim from the previous owner but it was mine

so i called a rim repair shop and took the tires there today
only 1 rim has a mild bend but he said it wasn't too bad

but ALL 4 TIRES were COMPLETELY out of balance like 1oz here 0.75 ounce there etc
the shop i bought the 2 tires from didn't even balance the 2 rims they did!

so tomorrow im gonna put the rims back on the car and test them out now that they are actually balanced *facepalm*

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
so an update

monday i took the rims off to put the winters back on
found out the place i bought the 2 tires from didn't install 1 of the hub rings in the front
when they gave me the ring i thought it was one stuck in the rim from the previous owner but it was mine

so i called a rim repair shop and took the tires there today
only 1 rim has a mild bend but he said it wasn't too bad

but ALL 4 TIRES were COMPLETELY out of balance like 1oz here 0.75 ounce there etc
the shop i bought the 2 tires from didn't even balance the 2 rims they did!

so tomorrow im gonna put the rims back on the car and test them out now that they are actually balanced *facepalm*
Hi Jordan. Well, that's certainly an interesting development.
Keep us updated and good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts