FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DISCLAIMER: The measurements listed here are what I have used successfully two times. Note that all cars are not created exactly the same so my measurements may be slightly different than your actual measurements. This thread is to be used as a guideline or reference and not as an exact science. Basically, take your time and MEASURE TWICE-CUT ONCE.

As you can see by the receipt my chrome bar part came in today..the part # is also shown for those of you who do not have it yet.

Below are the parts needed to complete the install. They are (2) brackets that are 2" x 2" long (2) 1/4" X 3/4" machine bolts with matching 1/4" lock washers and 1/4" nuts. I opted for stainless steel for its resistant properties to rust and corrosion. Also needed is a 1/8" and 1/4" metal drill bits along with (2) stainless steel 1/8" pop rivets.

Next you will need to remove approximately about 1/2" of material from the chrome bar. Very important to split the difference on each end of the bar (DO NOT TAKE THE WHOLE 1/2" OUT OF ONE SIDE) so the crease on each end of the bar will line up with the crease on the 2 bars that are already on the car. So take about 1/4" off each end as shown below.

Here it is after the cut..

Next, measure in 3 3/4" on each end and this is where you will attach the 2 x 2 brackets. Be sure to drill out one of the bottom holes on the bracket to 1/4" before installing the bracket onto the chrome piece. Using the hole closest to the bend in the bracket, line the edge of that hole up with the edge of the chrome piece at the 3 3/4" measurment and drill a 1/8" hole through both chrome piece and bracket and install the 1/8" pop rivet and secure as shown below..

Now is a good time to paint the bracket flat black to insure rust resistance...TAKE NOTICE OF THE SLIGHT OFFSET IN THE BRACKET..YOU MUST PUT THIS BEND IN YOUR BRACKET SO THE CHROME BAR WILL SET LEVEL WHEN INSTALLED.

Please notice the area below on both sides of your vehicle...

Place the chrome piece with the attached bracket up to the car to mark and then drill a 1/4" hole on the marks after making sure to equally space the bar on each end from the one above to keep the same distance between all three bars...

Here is what it will look like on each side after drilling the holes....

Now place the chrome piece back onto car and install the required mounting bolts and nuts shown in the above hardware picture...

Congratulations, now sit back and enjoy your handiwork!! Make sure to paint the exposed machine bolt head flat black for an un-noticeable bracket!!

Here's a shot with the 3dCarbon kit installed...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Awesome job, DV. That's easier than I thought. This will get done in the next month. Please sticky this thread!

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87941.msg1684391#msg1684391 date=1188701727]
Awesome job, DV. That's easier than I thought. This will get done in the next month. Please sticky this thread!
[/quote]

The hardest part is accessing the bolt behind the fascia to install the lock washer and nut.

Other advantages to this mod is it will somewhat help protect that area of the radiator. One of my Fusions has 15,000 miles on it and that area of the radiator looks like someone has taken a BB gun to it from all the debris that has been kicked up and flown in there damaging fins on the radiator. I have also removed a bird (black starling) from in there (dead of course) which caused damaged to the fins on the radiator also. :shock:

The original 427 concept had 6 bars and a V10 powerplant....
Oh well, at least we got fog (driving) lights!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi DV...Terrific Technical 'Howto' for a Magnificent Mod...Very well done on both counts...keep up the Great work!! Yes...definately Sticky Status!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
I like what you've done here. It looks great. I couldn't do it to my ride, but it sure looks nice on yours!

·
Registered
267 Posts
What did you use to cut the 1/2" off of each side? If you dont mind me asking, I definately want to do this :)

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anarchyx,

You only want to remove about 1/4" per side which equals 1/2" TOTAL. Removing a 1/2" per side will make your bar too short. I used a dremel tool with a 'cut-off' blade at low speed, or you could use a hack-saw or a jig-saw with a blade that has alot of teeth per inch. You want to use something that is at a slow speed so you do not create heat which will burn, bubble, flake, or blister the chrome finish.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Another question..

With the 1/8th pop rivet.. In the picture, it just looks like it is simply "resting" on the bracket. Is the rivet somehow secured to the bracket in a secure manner, so that it doesnt fall off if you hit a bump?

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
With the method descibe the bar is as solid and secure when finished as the two bars already on the car. Once the 1/8 hole is drilled in both the bar and the bracket the pop rivet does not allow them to move. The pop rivet expands as it is compressed thereby securing the bracket and chrome bar together as one piece. Once installed the bar can not move up or down or left to right.

There is a tool called a 'pop-rivet gun' which you will have to use to compress the rivet. If someone is not familiar using this tool I would suggest practicing with it a few times on scrap material before using it on this. If you do choose to use 2 rivets per bracket that would be risky at best as drilling two holes that close together in the plastic bar will greatly increase the chance that the bar will crack or split once both rivets are installed and compressed. Typically on plastic 2 rivets close together will usually crack or break between the two drilled holes. If the bar were metal this wouldn't be an issue.

Don't over-think it....it is a basic straightforward and easy installation. 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here is my questions, if you can buy those grill bars seperate, how come no one has tried making their own upper grill without the Ford Emblem?? Are those bars long enough to make it work??

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Because the Fusion DESERVES to have the Ford emblem on the front. That's why!!!!!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
[quote author=thereisnospoon link=topic=87941.msg1731442#msg1731442 date=1190473831]
Because the Fusion DESERVES to have the Ford emblem on the front. That's why!!!!!!!
[/quote]agreed. i'm proud that i own/drive Fords. 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Woops. I'm a dumbass. I was going to ask if it was a ford part.

Then I saw the giant fucking 'FORD' emblem on the paper.

Sorry for the idiocy.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hey Double Vision, thanks for the write up! Keep up the good work! :)

I'm really impatient when it comes to car parts, so I went to the Ford dealership yesterday and luckily they had a chrome bar in stock! Unfortunately, the price was kinda outrageous at ~$75, but I didn't mind because I didn't have to wait for it to be shipped!

So today at work I made some brackets, cut 1/4" off the ends on the band saw, and finished up the installation when I got home. The installation wasn't that easy; installing the Steeda CAI was easier in my opinion. Cutting the ends off the bar gave me the most trouble because the angles were awkward to work with.

But it was definitely worth it; it's not perfect, but pretty damn close! I will post up pics tomorrow morning after I wash it. 8)

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking forward to the pics 11011101,

Curious to see what it looks like on a black car with the rest of the chrome!

I guess diffuculty level will be different for everyone...the most trouble for me was getting my hands behind the fascia to attach the nuts and washers, I didn't have too much issue with the angle cuts.

Glad to help and good to hear that you like it. Now every time you walk to your car and see it you will look like this >>> :klavergreg:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts