FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Fusion SEL 4 cyl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I need to remove the driver's seat in my 2009 Fusion and when I put it back in I wanted to torque the bolts to factory specs. Anyone happen to have the specs from a Ford Repair Manual?

Much appreciated!!

·
Registered
2012 SEL 2.5
159 Posts
The factory does not set the torque specs. It is set by the people who make the bolt.
You should be good by going tight that feels good to you

·
Registered
2009 Fusion SEL 4 cyl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The factory does not set the torque specs. It is set by the people who make the bolt.
You should be good by going tight that feels good to you

Sorry, but that is 100% not true!

For almost 40 years I have not only been a car enthusiast, but have worked on them from the ground up. Although you are partially right that a bolt manufacturer creates the bolt itself's "torque range" , each auto maker sets the torque specs for the bolts holding the seats to the floor, because they are required, by law, to do so.

There is no such thing as "You should be good by going tight that feels good to you". That there my friend is dangerous misinformation.

When a vehicle is built, there are certain nuts and bolts that must be torqued to certain safety specs per the NHTSA standards and rules. Every manufacturer must provide these specs to the NHTSA for just that.... the purpose of safety, knowledge, & not to mention recalls, etc.

You cannot just tighten a nut in certain protocols as tight as you feel safe with and call it a day. How tight I make a nut and how tight you make a nut are 2 entirely different things. Don't tighten it to a certain spec and it can easily back off and start the process of failure should the vehicle get in an accident.

Thank you for your reply. But a heads up.... when you don't know the exact answer to something, you should not give any advice at all. For in doing so, you can create problems. Thankfully I am knowledgeable enough to know your response was incorrect. But the novice individual may have taken your advice and put themselves and / or others in harm.

So then, my question remains unanswered. And if anyone has access to one of Ford's manuals with the torque specs for the front driver's seat bolts to the floor, please kindly let me know them. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,909 Posts
Sorry, but that is 100% not true!

For almost 40 years I have not only been a car enthusiast, but have worked on them from the ground up. Although you are partially right that a bolt manufacturer creates the bolt itself's "torque range" , each auto maker sets the torque specs for the bolts holding the seats to the floor, because they are required, by law, to do so.

There is no such thing as "You should be good by going tight that feels good to you". That there my friend is dangerous misinformation.

When a vehicle is built, there are certain nuts and bolts that must be torqued to certain safety specs per the NHTSA standards and rules. Every manufacturer must provide these specs to the NHTSA for just that.... the purpose of safety, knowledge, & not to mention recalls, etc.

You cannot just tighten a nut in certain protocols as tight as you feel safe with and call it a day. How tight I make a nut and how tight you make a nut are 2 entirely different things. Don't tighten it to a certain spec and it can easily back off and start the process of failure should the vehicle get in an accident.

Thank you for your reply. But a heads up.... when you don't know the exact answer to something, you should not give any advice at all. For in doing so, you can create problems. Thankfully I am knowledgeable enough to know your response was incorrect. But the novice individual may have taken your advice and put themselves and / or others in harm.

So then, my question remains unanswered. And if anyone has access to one of Ford's manuals with the torque specs for the front driver's seat bolts to the floor, please kindly let me know them. Thank you!
Hi 2009SEL. If one of our tech members does not jump in with that information, I would recommend these possibilities: Call or stop by your local Ford or Lincoln Dealer and speak to the Service Manager to see if he/she will help you.

Or alternately, stop by one or two of your local body shops and ask them. They certainly have had the occasion to replace seats, seat tracks, carpeting, floor pans etc., and needed to bolt a seat back in. Even an automotive upholstery shop may know the answer.

Personally, I usually find it better to stop by and ask, since a friendly face usually gets better service than a phone call.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2009 Fusion SEL 4 cyl
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello bbf2530! Thanks for welcoming me and for the advice as well! Much appreciated, as I had been kicking around the body shop idea myself as my final alternative. I had already thought about the dealership, but they are the reason I am having to do this myself to begin with. Thus, the "friendly face days with them" are over. Thus, time to tackle the issue myself. So I figured since my warranty is about to end and I had been putting off joining this online group for so long, that this would be a great reason to do so now. Thus, here I am! :)

Car is having an airbag light issue and took it in while it was and still is under warranty. Got literally zero satisfaction from them nor their service manager. They just stated "loose connector pin tightened on a connector not adhered to track as should be" (And I must add, this is the dealership that installed the "new" seat track, not once, but twice.So guess who did not adhere things correctly?) and charged me over $200. No seat removal, nothing further checked in the system. They had the vehicle for a week due to a mechanical failure & waiting for parts too. I went to pick up the car, placed key in ignition and started it.... airbag light still on.

Talked with service manager and he gave me crap over it as an "intermittent problem". That is in fact, effectively a lie and a sales tactic used to charge you more money for new diagnostics and the removal of the seat, which they did not do to start with and for $200, then should have done. And since an aftermarket warranty only covers physical parts being replaced, I had to foot the over $200 bill myself, and this game can go back and forth forever so long as their "tech" states when he parks the car, the light remains off. Yeah...... so knowing the sales and money tactics of the service departments, and them knowing the warranty expires soon, I said screw it, and have decided to pull the seat myself as I have my own theory on the issue. If I am correct, then the repair and issue would be handled right here at my home. If I turn out to be incorrect, then I have to take it to a dealership even further away than the one I have been dealing with for the past 5 years, as the next closest one shut down their service department permanently during Covid. And now, they only sell vehicles. UGH!

So then, since it was the weekend, and every place was closed, I figured this online group might just be the best place to secure the info I need. Since storms did not permit me to get the seat pulled to check the issue this past weekend, hopefully I can secure the correct info before my next chance to pull the seat and then have to place it back. But, if not here, then just as you said, a call to a body shop hopefully will net me the correct info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts