FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 5-speed manual Fusion home today, when I noticed at a stop sign that my engine seemed revving up a little higher than normal. I kind of dismissed it until it happened again:

I noticed every time I put my car in neutral to either glide down a hill or to stop, regardless of whether it was in any gear at a low RPM or a high RPM, the car would idle at about 3,000 RPM. This is roughly 2,000 RPM higher than it normally does to stop from stalling out while in neutral. I pulled into a neighborhood and stopped, put the car into neutral and the E-brake on and sat, and the car sat, idling at 3,000 RPM. I drove it a little more, shifting in and out of gear, and it did it again.

Finally, after turning the car off in a culdesac, I let the fans slow down for about 30 seconds and started it up, and it worked like normal.

Any transmission experts out there have any reason for this? If it happens again, should I have it checked out?

Also, on a side note, does anyone ever have any trouble shifting the stick into reverse after starting the engine? Sometimes the stick gets caught about halfway down, and when I release the clutch and press the gas the engine just revvs. I have to shift it in and out of the gears just to get the thing in reverse to get it out of my driveway. Is this common throughout you 5-speed drivers?

Thanks,
smallbigtall

·
Registered
833 Posts
This TSB is for "At Start Up" but it sounds like your issue none the less.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43dafb42mc9a58637/bc/Fusion+TSB+PDF+Files/tsb07-10-01+(2.3L+High+Idle+Start+up).pdf?BCGiNwGBNMxPCjUH

·
Super Moderator
5,957 Posts
Hi smallbigtall. :wavey: My advice would be to make an appointment now to bring it in. Is your car still under the 3year/36,000 mile warranty?

There are many possibilities as to what would cause the abnormal engine revving problem, and the Dealer is in the best position to find the cause. I had a similar revving situation with a '99 Cougar. I won't bore you with what my cars problem was, as odds are yours will be different.

As to the reverse gear "problem", whether it is a problem or not depends on how severe it is. It is not entirely uncommon, as most manual transmissions do not have a synchronizer for reverse gear.

Conventional wisdom says that it helps to slip it into a forward gear, then into reverse (helps to "align" the gears", for lack of a shorter explanation). Try this and see if it helps.

Again however, I would bring the Fusion in for the engine rev anomaly as soon as possible. It will probably be one of those "hard to re-create" type of problems, so the sooner you start, the better.

Hope it is solved quickly and good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote author=WIFL link=topic=86126.msg1636559#msg1636559 date=1187041093]
Not normal!!!! I would have it checked out. What happens when you tap on the gas when it is doing this? Does it rev up and go back to 3000rpm or does it go back to normal?
[/quote]

I don't know, as I didn't think to try that when it was acting up. Since it happened, I have driven the car once a very short distance and the problem did not exist.

[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=86126.msg1636632#msg1636632 date=1187042356]
This TSB is for "At Start Up" but it sounds like your issue none the less.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43dafb42mc9a58637/bc/Fusion+TSB+PDF+Files/tsb07-10-01+(2.3L+High+Idle+Start+up).pdf?BCGiNwGBNMxPCjUH
[/quote]

TSB, any reason that link doesn't work for me?

[quote author=bbf2530 link=topic=86126.msg1636690#msg1636690 date=1187043387]
Hi smallbigtall. :wavey: My advice would be to make an appointment now to bring it in. Is your car still under the 3year/36,000 mile warranty?
[/quote]

Yeah, it's an 06 with only 15,500 miles. As for the reverse, it's probably just an "alignment" issue as you said, because when I slip it into forward gears it normally helps right off the bat.

Thanks all for the input, I will be calling my dealer to schedule an appointment before I make headway on my 12 hour trip south to Winston-Salem.

·
Registered
833 Posts
WTF! Didn't work for me either. Here it is again. This one works.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43dafb42mc9a58637/bc/Fusion+TSB+PDF+Files/tsb07-10-01+(2.3L+High+Idle+Start+up).pdf?BCevPwGBphhZCjUH

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=86126.msg1637011#msg1637011 date=1187051376]
WTF! Didn't work for me either. Here it is again. This one works.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43dafb42mc9a58637/bc/Fusion+TSB+PDF+Files/tsb07-10-01+(2.3L+High+Idle+Start+up).pdf?BCevPwGBphhZCjUH

[/quote]

Still didn't work for me. Oh well, thanks for the effort.

It happened again on the way to the movies tonight. I tested out what WIFL suggested, and it indeed revvs up and goes back to 3000 RPM. The only way I can get it back to normal is turning off the car and starting it again.

I will be taking it to the dealer tomorrow, first thing in the morning, to see if I can get to the bottom of this. I will keep you updated on the diagnosis.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Someone or something must be disabling it. Not working for me now either.

2.3L HIGH IDLE AT START UP—APPROXIMATELY TSB 07-10-1
2000 RPM
FORD: MERCURY:
2006-2007 Fusion 2006-2007 Milan

OPERATION 071001A

DESCRIPTION Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With 12650D)
TIME 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE RECAL 04

ISSUE
Some 2006-2007 Fusion and Milan vehicles 2006-2007 Fusion and
equipped with a 2.3L engine may experience an Milan:
extended high idle (approximately 2000 RPM) on
start up. Manual transmission vehicles may also
experience an occasional hang-up at 2000 RPM
when the clutch is pushed in when coming to a stop.

ACTION
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to
the latest calibration using IDS release 48.12 and
higher or 49.1 and higher. This new calibration is
not included in the VCM 2007.5 DVD. Calibration
files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Provisions Of
New Vehicle Limited
Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty
coverage limits/policies are
not altered by a TSB.
Warranty coverage limits
are determined by the
identified causal part.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got the car back from the dealer. They upgraded the software as recommended in the post above, and I guess we'll see if it works!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Good luck! Keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts