1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I would think turtle wax knows their stuff , and has the money to R&D a product like this. I would say go for it!

·
Registered
509 Posts
It sounds like it's just a mild polish with little to no cutting ability. It probably is more of a concealer than an actual polish though. I'll stick to a traditional clay bar.

Turtle wax has NO products that I use. For me, there are much better products out there.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I was looking at it in the store, but I doubt that there is a "liquid" substitute for a clay bar. The point of a clay bar is to be abrasive and remove the contaminents.

As for Turtle Wax, I never really liked their products, but I must admit, their Ice Car Wash works extremely well. My car has a deeper, wet look after washing it.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here is my situation. My car is about 8 months old and black. Now that the winter is over I want to get it ready for the spring/summer with a good clean up. It also has the, free at no charge, swirls that come with the color. I don't know that I really need to clay my car yet. I mostly want to get rid of the swirls and water spots. I just purchased Meguire's Scratch X and I think that will do the trick. The Liquid clay just looked interesting. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=eiching1 link=topic=74931.msg1344338#msg1344338 date=1176845249]
Well, here is my situation. My car is about 8 months old and black. Now that the winter is over I want to get it ready for the spring/summer with a good clean up. It also has the, free at no charge, swirls that come with the color. I don't know that I really need to clay my car yet. I mostly want to get rid of the swirls and water spots. I just purchased Meguire's Scratch X and I think that will do the trick. The Liquid clay just looked interesting. Any other suggestions?
[/quote]

Are you going to be working by hand or with a machine?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By hand. I do not own a buffer, nor do I have enough experience with one to try it on this car. The ones I have used before were not very effective (read:cheap). I purchased the Scratch X because it uses deminising abrasives. I thought that would be the safet bet.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I would suggest giving the car a good hand wash using the 2 bucket method. Then use a traditional clay bar with quick detailer as a lubricant. At this point the paint should be clean and free of surface contaminants.

Before jumping straight to the ScratchX, try some Meguairs swirl remover. It is only very lightly abrasive, and may yield the results you are looking for. You want to start with something mild and work your way up in abrasiveness until you achieve the desired results, so do one panel and evaluate from there.

Keep in mind that after polishing you will need to apply a wax or sealant to protect the paint. A synthetic like Meguiars NXT is cheap and offers great protection, and a carnuba like Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow wax with offer better depth. If you have the time to apply multiple coats, you can apply a later or two of the NXT topped with the Hi-Tech Yellow. This will give you the protection of the synthetic along with the depth of the carnuba.

Here is a pic of my car after doing exactly what I just described to you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your car does look awesome. However, for me time is an issue. My plays baseball (lots of baseball, three different teams) so I don't have the time to spend going over the car with clay, polish, then wax. Besides that, my wife would have a fit. That's why I was interested in the Ice product. My other option would be to tackle one area of the car at a time. So that may be the way to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts