FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on ordering an I4 Automatic here very soon, and am curious to know what I can do to increase the power of the 160hp engine without extensively declining the gas mileage. The whole reason I'm getting an I4 is for the gas mileage and the fact that insurace is nearly 850 bucks cheaper a year.

Thanks,

Josh

p.s.s I posted this in the Project Fast Fusion section too...but I don't know how many people other than Nikolas look at it.

·
Registered
14,337 Posts
Well, all the standard things... intake, exhaust, etc may help a bit. Depending on the design they could hurt, do nothing, or indeed even improve gas mileage. It won't be a lot of power, but might be a bit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The V6 gets 21/29 mpg and the I4 manual is estimated at 23/30. No one knows the MPG of the I4 automatic but I doubt there will be much of an advantage over the V6. I don't see the point of getting the 4 cyl model to save gas and then try to make up the power difference by modding it. The mods could wipe out your fuel economy advantage or be so expensive that they eat up all the insurance savings. Plus there's the issue of voiding your warranty. I'd say if you want the power of the V6 get the V6, it'll be a better investment in the long run.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote author=Futura06 link=topic=30647.msg428382#msg428382 date=1128212342]
The V6 gets 21/29 mpg and the I4 manual is estimated at 23/30. No one knows the MPG of the I4 automatic but I doubt there will be much of an advantage over the V6. I don't see the point of getting the 4 cyl model to save gas and then try to make up the power difference by modding it.  The mods could wipe out your fuel economy advantage or be so expensive that they eat up all the insurance savings. Plus there's the issue of voiding your warranty. I'd say if you want the power of the V6 get the V6, it'll be a better investment in the long run.
[/quote]
I agree, if you want more power don't get the 4. Go for the V6. I have the same 4-cyl/auto in my Mazda6, I get around 30-31 mpg driving to work and back (about 20% highway) and have never gotten below 25. Try that with a V6. Mine was only rated at 29 highway. Don't get me wrong, I wish I could get a new one with a v6 as I'm getting a little tired of the 4.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Skip the automatic and get the manual transmission. That will help you get more performance from the four banger.

FYI my I-4/5speed is quite zippy. No problem keeping up with traffic. Lots more low end torque than the 2.0 Mazda four it replaced, and certainly more top end as well.

Plus the manual is just more fun to drive! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I was actually quite surprissed at how much torque this motor (I4/5spd) has. It is very pleasent to drive around town and on the highway. I just wish that there was a 6th gear in manual version.

G

·
We'll be supporting both the V6 and the 4-Cylinder engines in the Fusion/Zephyr/Milan

We'll have headers, intakes, exhausts and computer tuners for both. And of course the turbo for the 2.3L versions.

It depends on what your goals are for the car... The V6, with Intake, Headers. Exhaust and Tuning will be good for about 250-260hp at the crank.

To reach those levels in the 4-cylinder, you will need to go turbo.

The main reason I, personally, would be a 4-Cylinder, is because I could get a standard manual transmission. If they offered a manual on the V6, then it would be an obvious choice to get the V6 with Manual transmission.

·
Registered
39 Posts
[quote author=Draxas_VP link=topic=30647.msg569868#msg569868 date=1139253318]
We'll be supporting both the V6 and the 4-Cylinder engines in the Fusion/Zephyr/Milan

The main reason I, personally, would be a 4-Cylinder, is because I could get a standard manual transmission. If they offered a manual on the V6, then it would be an obvious choice to get the V6 with Manual transmission.
[/quote]

AMEN!!!

Please keep me posted, as I want all the I/H/E and perhaps the TK if it can pass canadian Air-Care levels. I guess I would need a clutch upgrade for the Turbo right?

·
Registered
132 Posts
[quote author=Draxas_VP link=topic=30647.msg569868#msg569868 date=1139253318]
[/quote]

I don't understand why everyone hates the 6spd auto. The auto can shift faster and doesn't miss gears like a manual tranny.

6Spd auto > 5spd Manual

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't have any HP issues from my 2.3L 160 + is good enough, the problem is with most people they want a sports car
well, this one isn't meant to be a sports car. It has plenty of potential and power to become one, but it is ultimately a family sedan.
I have no complaints about mine, it is fast enough and even better now with the one mod I did to it so far.

As for MPG while car companies overrate bigger engines to try to get you to buy them, a V6 will never be as comparable to a 4 in
gas mileage for one simple fact, no matter your driving habits anytime you take off fast or kick in the passing gear the bigger engine
will always suck gas more so than a smaller Liter one.

I drove V6's and 4's and the 6 never even came close to a 4, and never will without being too underpowered, the more power
the more fuel you can kiss bye-bye. Like I said my 4 is plenty powerful enough, and I come from a muscle car era with true power,
not this slap me on a turbo era. You can put more power to your 4 with turbos and chips, but in the end your engine and trans
won't last as long as mine will, in short though if you want more power then you should get a bigger engine. But don't expect
you MPG to be better than with a smaller one, you need to decide what is more important....
HP or MPG..................

·
Registered
39 Posts
So true,

I used to own a 5.7L Trans Am!!! Now that was BAD gas mileage :)

But it could kick the speedo faster then most car I have driven :D:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts