FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://mazda3forums.com/viewtopic.php?p=288384#288384

Had a realization last night reading this thread. HiBoost is testing their turbo kit at 9000 ft, where:

310 WHP SAE = 224 WHP

using that ratio as an approximation:

220 WHP = 158 WHP.

Meaning....the kit running up there isn't putting much more stress on engine components or transmission than AzMz3's car is at sea level. But this topics been beaten to death, and it always turns into a flame war, so I'll keep my comments to this forum.

Are you proud of me Holey? :D

·
Premium Member
12,854 Posts
Hey I think if it's a legit insight it should be shared with everyone. Still allowing everyone to make their own choice. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think there's been enough threads on the dangers of a turbo. Anyone buying at this point should realize that.

I also don't think it's appropriate to bring up these points in the HiBoost update threads, which are the old turbo threads active right now.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiboost has always said that they're testing the system at 9000 ft, but their giving the HP numbers corrected for sea level (which is perfectly acceptable and common industry practice).

So their 7 psi, 220HP setup is probably only making about 160HP at that altitude. It's a good setup from their point of view, you give a high HP numbers with much lower mechanical stress than you'd see if you were actually making that HP.

That being said, his turbo setup at 10 psi is making 224 HP at 9000ft, which is similar to what the 7psi setup will make at sea level. And he hasn't broken the car at 10 psi yet.

Clear as mud? :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts