FordFusionClub.com banner

I wanna "Clock" Ford NOW WITH PICS!

23K views 60 replies 34 participants last post by  jeffrey106 
#1 ·
Been driving my Fusion for a couple of days now and I've been really impressed. I get lots of stares and even had a guy at the airport who wanted to sit in the car... After all that Ford went through to trim out this car, they missed one little detail. The clock that they put in the middle of the dash is C-H-E-A-P ! I give it a couple of months max... It's made of extremely cheap and obvious plastic. Surely it would not have cost them too much more to use slightly better materials... If they had speant one more dollar on this little detail I would have zero complaints. The rest of the car rocks! Well, one other complaint is that the sunroof causes that annoying pressure sound problem (whump whump whump) in my ear...

#6 ·
Re: I wanna "Clock" Ford

I do not mind the clock at all. I actually like-it. I would not worry about the clock, there will be upgrades from aftermarket store to replace the simple clock Ford puts on the Fusion. I would like to see the aftermarket clock either in a Quartz or Swiss analog clock. :)

#8 ·

The handbook says that cars without the analog clock display digital time on the radio. I don't think Ford has a special radio for the cars with an analog clock, so somehow you should be able to enable the clock in the radio. I didn't see any pin on the connector for that function, so maybe it's jumpers internally or something. Somebody on this site should be able to tell us how to make the radio digital clock work!

#11 ·

[quote author=RandyR link=topic=31409.msg609073#msg609073 date=1141829133]
Looks much better than that silly "FUSION" logo stuck in the middle of my SE dash. Wish there was a way to mount an anaolg clock over the top of that.
[/quote]

Glue!

#13 ·

The clock in the radio is enabled by two different ways... I will have to look it up and let you know. Most of the time its an extra wire in the connector that enables the clock. That was for the older radios, however, these radios are new and the have to be programmed when replaced. So I am going to assume that they can be reprogramed to turn the clock off. The only problem is that I you will need a Ford scan tool and the correct "as built data" from a vehicle with a clock to reprogram it. For example the older expeditions and navigators had basicaly the same radio head unit, but the navigator has a dash mounted clock. There was an extra wire to enable the clock. Yet, the new delphi radios like in the fusion and 500 and others are pretty complex so they have programmable parameters. I had one last week the lube rack changed the radio out with out programming it and the illumination lights didnt work on the radio until I programmed it.

#14 ·

Here is a data point for you ..

I have an SEL, so no clock on the radio.

The dealer swapped out my radio to fix the RDS problem. Afterwards I had a clock.

However, my steering wheel buttons did not work (along with alot of other things).

The radio guy had to reprogram the radio. He popped some panel right under the steering wheel (I think because I found it open and had to close it myself, but I was not there when he did the programming).

I debated for a couple days if I was going to ask him to leave the clock on.

Decided against it.

#15 ·

OK.. It sounds like I've been misunderstood...

I like the idea of the analog clock, I just think it was made cheaply! It reminds me of the infiniti clock too. The difference is that you can tell the ford's version is molded plastic. Seriously, mine looks like it came out of a plastic egg from a grocery store gumball machine. It's crap.

#17 ·

at first glance the clock looks cool, but on closer inspection the arms are so damn cheap looking, looks like some kind of child's toy. I just ordered a Zephyr clock which appears to be more watch like in appearance. It has the Lincoln symbol, but it does look nicer IMO, at least in pictures, I hope it looks as nice up close. Should be in within a week's time, low stock item.

#18 ·

the cheapness (is that a word?) of the clock is the first thing my brother noticed when he went for a ride in my car.

My GF hates the clock becasue she cant read a clock with no numbers on it (ummmm.... ooookkkayyy...)

My mom thought it looked good... but that is because she would need to put her glasses on to to se how cheap it is.

#19 ·

I have a Mercury Milan. Same CHEAP clock. There are a few things Ford cheaped out on, clock , folding mirrors, UNDERCOATING?, glove box light ect. I guess this is how I got my 0% financing.

#20 ·

I hate the cheap thing.   I am planning some type of replacement.   Nothing aftermarket I can find right now and the hole is not standard for any instrument clock (not to mention the two set button holes in the dash).

I took it out of the dash to see what space I have to play with.

I'll tell you this, it's as cheap behind the dash as the part that shows.   Cheap, cheap plastic.  All the "chrome" looking stuff is cheap plastic which is connected to some white plastic.

The good news is that there is actually lots of room in that dash space so there is room for some type of replacement clock without it having to be real small.  Like I said, I'm working on it.

#22 ·

I hope the Lincoln Zephyr clock fits, the overall design is similar but I'm not too sure on the overall measurements in terms of button locations and diameter of the face when it goes into the Fusion trim piece. My Zephyr clock should be here in a few more days , IMO it looks a lot nicer, more watch like in appearance. If I get it to fit I'll let you know.

#24 ·

[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=31409.msg1036451#msg1036451 date=1161992459]
I hope the Lincoln Zephyr clock fits, the overall design is similar but I'm not too sure on the overall measurements in terms of button locations and diameter of the face when it goes into the Fusion trim piece.  My Zephyr clock should be here in a few more days , IMO it looks a lot nicer, more watch like in appearance.   If I get it to fit I'll let you know.
[/quote]

JFUSION Please be sure to report back after you receive the Zephyr clock. I'm real interested to see what that clock looks like and if it works in the Fusion.

#25 ·

[quote author=biffster link=topic=31409.msg1037903#msg1037903 date=1162078151]
[quote author=JFUSION link=topic=31409.msg1036451#msg1036451 date=1161992459]
I hope the Lincoln Zephyr clock fits, the overall design is similar but I'm not too sure on the overall measurements in terms of button locations and diameter of the face when it goes into the Fusion trim piece.  My Zephyr clock should be here in a few more days , IMO it looks a lot nicer, more watch like in appearance.   If I get it to fit I'll let you know.
[/quote]

JFUSION Please be sure to report back after you receive the Zephyr clock.   I'm real interested to see what that clock looks like and if it works in the Fusion.
[/quote]

sure thing , no problem. I spent some time today taking the stock clock apart, just in case the Zephyr clock doesn't quite fit our dash panel it looks like I can likely swap it into our clock's housing as I can get our clock comletely out of its housing being able to break it down into all of its pieces. So I think there is a good chance it will work one way or another. I'll report back as soon as it comes in. The Zephyr clock had to be shipped from somewhere down south, Mississippi or someplace like that, not a huge amount of stock in that item I guess.

#26 ·

How much did they charge you for the Z clock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.