FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving my Fusion for a couple of days now and I've been really impressed. I get lots of stares and even had a guy at the airport who wanted to sit in the car... After all that Ford went through to trim out this car, they missed one little detail. The clock that they put in the middle of the dash is C-H-E-A-P ! I give it a couple of months max... It's made of extremely cheap and obvious plastic. Surely it would not have cost them too much more to use slightly better materials... If they had speant one more dollar on this little detail I would have zero complaints. The rest of the car rocks! Well, one other complaint is that the sunroof causes that annoying pressure sound problem (whump whump whump) in my ear...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Re: I wanna "Clock" Ford

Nice. Well not the cheap clock. But having people staring and wanting to sit in you car reminds me when I first got my 6s. It's a great feeling. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Yeah, it was fun :D This is my first car to purchase ( I own a truck), so I'm not used to the new car feeling... Kind of addictive... Will post pics in a seperate post...

·
Registered
580 Posts

I like the fact that I don't have to unlock the car and turn on the ignition to see the time,plus it adds a touch of the old world to the new to the new way of thinking.It just looks classie to me but I guess I am old.

·
Registered
377 Posts

I do not mind the clock at all. I actually like-it. I would not worry about the clock, there will be upgrades from aftermarket store to replace the simple clock Ford puts on the Fusion. I would like to see the aftermarket clock either in a Quartz or Swiss analog clock. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts

The handbook says that cars without the analog clock display digital time on the radio. I don't think Ford has a special radio for the cars with an analog clock, so somehow you should be able to enable the clock in the radio. I didn't see any pin on the connector for that function, so maybe it's jumpers internally or something. Somebody on this site should be able to tell us how to make the radio digital clock work!

·
Registered
40 Posts

Clock is very cool. I like it, reminds me of the good ol days.

My teenage kid? Well I had to teach them how to read it. When Mickeys little hand is pointing.....you know the story

·
Registered
158 Posts

Looks much better than that silly "FUSION" logo stuck in the middle of my SE dash. Wish there was a way to mount an anaolg clock over the top of that.

·
Registered
204 Posts

[quote author=RandyR link=topic=31409.msg609073#msg609073 date=1141829133]
Looks much better than that silly "FUSION" logo stuck in the middle of my SE dash. Wish there was a way to mount an anaolg clock over the top of that.
[/quote]

Glue!

·
Registered
255 Posts

I really really really wish I could get rid of my silly silly Fusion logo on my se too. is it just a dash trim peice change and throw a clock in?

·
Registered
47 Posts

The clock in the radio is enabled by two different ways... I will have to look it up and let you know. Most of the time its an extra wire in the connector that enables the clock. That was for the older radios, however, these radios are new and the have to be programmed when replaced. So I am going to assume that they can be reprogramed to turn the clock off. The only problem is that I you will need a Ford scan tool and the correct "as built data" from a vehicle with a clock to reprogram it. For example the older expeditions and navigators had basicaly the same radio head unit, but the navigator has a dash mounted clock. There was an extra wire to enable the clock. Yet, the new delphi radios like in the fusion and 500 and others are pretty complex so they have programmable parameters. I had one last week the lube rack changed the radio out with out programming it and the illumination lights didnt work on the radio until I programmed it.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Here is a data point for you ..

I have an SEL, so no clock on the radio.

The dealer swapped out my radio to fix the RDS problem. Afterwards I had a clock.

However, my steering wheel buttons did not work (along with alot of other things).

The radio guy had to reprogram the radio. He popped some panel right under the steering wheel (I think because I found it open and had to close it myself, but I was not there when he did the programming).

I debated for a couple days if I was going to ask him to leave the clock on.

Decided against it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

OK.. It sounds like I've been misunderstood...

I like the idea of the analog clock, I just think it was made cheaply! It reminds me of the infiniti clock too. The difference is that you can tell the ford's version is molded plastic. Seriously, mine looks like it came out of a plastic egg from a grocery store gumball machine. It's crap.

·
Registered
87 Posts

at first glance the clock looks cool, but on closer inspection the arms are so damn cheap looking, looks like some kind of child's toy. I just ordered a Zephyr clock which appears to be more watch like in appearance. It has the Lincoln symbol, but it does look nicer IMO, at least in pictures, I hope it looks as nice up close. Should be in within a week's time, low stock item.

·
Registered
476 Posts

the cheapness (is that a word?) of the clock is the first thing my brother noticed when he went for a ride in my car.

My GF hates the clock becasue she cant read a clock with no numbers on it (ummmm.... ooookkkayyy...)

My mom thought it looked good... but that is because she would need to put her glasses on to to se how cheap it is.

·
Registered
833 Posts

I have a Mercury Milan. Same CHEAP clock. There are a few things Ford cheaped out on, clock , folding mirrors, UNDERCOATING?, glove box light ect. I guess this is how I got my 0% financing.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I hate the cheap thing.   I am planning some type of replacement.   Nothing aftermarket I can find right now and the hole is not standard for any instrument clock (not to mention the two set button holes in the dash).

I took it out of the dash to see what space I have to play with.

I'll tell you this, it's as cheap behind the dash as the part that shows.   Cheap, cheap plastic.  All the "chrome" looking stuff is cheap plastic which is connected to some white plastic.

The good news is that there is actually lots of room in that dash space so there is room for some type of replacement clock without it having to be real small.  Like I said, I'm working on it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts