FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I spent another 3 days driving around FL for work- this time about 500 miles including city and hwy. My rental was a 2007 Pontiac G6 GTP- silver with black leather interior. I was just about to slide into a G6 GT Coupe when I noticed the GTP letters on a silver 4 door. My mind recalled the GTP as the top of the line model- so I quickly transferred my luggage before someone else nabbed the GTP.

I've liked the G6 exterior styling since it replaced the Grand Am. IMO, the G6 is a looker when sitting next to the Grand Am- which to me looked cartoonish at best. The overall dimensions and lines of the G6 look good, especially with the 18" 5 spoke wheels. The interior was a mixed bag- great, supportive two tone leather seats that really kept me in place. They were heated- but not something I needed in the high 80's temps of FL. It was optioned with sunroof, XM, and power everything. Unfortunately, as with most GM vehicles, the dash was hard and hollow, and the door and kick panels felt very cheap. The thin cheap plastic allowed for many vibrations and rattles when traversing less than smooth roads. The all black interior was depressing- has GM ever thought of experimenting with 2 tone (like my Fusion interior). I did like the 3 spoke steering wheel (with radio/cruise controls) and the instrument cluster (with BMW red back-lighting). Rear seating appeared adequate- unless a 6 footer had to sit behind another 6 footer. The leather was smooth an soft on the wheel and seats- something I wish Ford would discover.

The soul of the car was the 3.6L V6 with VVT putting out 252 hp and 251 lbft. It was mated to a 6 spd auto with manual shift option (hello again Ford- are you listening). Power was effortless and refined, with an instant surge available anywhere on the tach. Shifts were smooth and timely, and the manual mode added to the sporting character. I would love to see this drivetrain in a Fusion. The suspension was firm but not harsh and the car handled well.

Three main problems with the driving dynamics. First, the G6 has a turning radius somewhere between a cruise liner and a battleship. It felt worse than the Fusion and I image the 18" rubber may have had something to do with that. Parking was an absolute pain- unless you had 3 open spots in a row, be prepared make a couple of efforts to get it parked straight. The second problem was torque steer- but I was able to overlook that since the acceleration was so strong. If it torque steered and was slow- that would be unacceptable :). It also didn't like to track straight at 80 mph and followed grooves and such in the road. I found myself correcting the line frequently- not a huge problem but annoying after a while. I didn't check mileage but I'm guessing mid 20's in mixed driving are obtainable.

Overall I enjoyed my time in the G6. The engine/trans were a lot of fun- I found myself foot to the floor whenever I had the chance. Ford desperately needs to get the 3.5L into all their midsize vehicles and finally retire the 3.0L duratec boat anchor. If you've read any of my other reviews, you know interior looks and quality are my pet peeve so as good as the drivetrain was, the interior would keep me from purchasing a G6 for myself. I still can't seem to find a Camry or Sonata to drive- but I am driving a Kia Spectra while my wife's minivan is being repaired. So far I'm very impressed and will have a review of it soon.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Another excellent review Ming. I enjoyed it. You write well and made some very good points in the process. You have found a niche for yourself.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks for the insight on the Pontiac G6. The Pontiac G6 and the future G8 are great vehicles and fun road machines, but I hate the ricer side our American Automakers are heading towards their body styles. Take this, a co-worker has a GTO and it is a 8-cylinder, it is a excellent vehicle and bad ass HP engine; but I hate the ricer looking vehicle style body, looks ok but no, not to my likeing. The GTO should of gone more towards the Mustang body frame. I agree Ford should jump on the 3.5L wagon for the Fusion, but then 2.5L, 3.0L, and 3.2L outsells the 3.5L in the 6-cylinder category; my observations are by what I see while I drive around in the Los Angeles, Orange, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernadino Counties, and the State of Nevada. Areas were vehicles are more plentyful than any other areas in the U.S.A. And I believe Ford will keep the 3.5L reserve for the upper grade vehicles like the Lincoln's and Mercury's. Also cost to the consumer will be an issue for the Ford consumer; and also no Ford consumer will want to pay $30K for a bare Ford brand vehicle with no upgrades to the cost, when they can buy a Lincoln for that price. I had a similar experience buying a Ford King Ranch Vs. Ford F150 Fully Loaded Lariat Vs. Lincoln Mark LT; lets just say the Lincoln won out with loaded options, luxurious, and price.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Park the new G6 next to the old Dodge Neon and you'll think the G6 is a Dodge Neon update--look too much alike!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.