FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dealer do the first two changes on my Fusion but I wanted a synthetic fill and I didn't want to spend the 75-80 that they wanted. I said piss on that. AutoZone has a syn special with Valv SynPower full syn and a Fram Tough Guard filter for 17.99. They don't have the cartridge filter that we need, so I got the filters for my dad's Taurus. I went to Napa to get a gold filter (made by Wix) and I went to change it.

I jack up the car, remove the drain plug and the cartridge...no problems. I insert the filter and I was given a filter too large to fit. I put the old filter back in and drained the pan of oil and did a syn fill. I went to Advance and got a Purolator Pure One filter and I changed out the filter after the fill. Napa gave me the wrong filter. The damn drain plug was torqued pretty damn tight and I did get the oil filter wrench "B" and it was only 3 bucks at AutoZone and it worked like a charm. All in all, the whole process was about 15-20 minutes if I had no complications...real easy oil change. The drain plug faces towards the back, so when you jack up the front, you get most of the oil drained...worked out real nice.

I'm going to stock up on Motorcraft filters for it...the old one looked good. It wasn't twisted and held up nicely. I'll be doing syn fills with a Motorcraft filter. All in all, probably around 22-23 bucks and I know what's going in it. I'm going to run a Used Oil Analysis on what came out of the crankcase now.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote author=UnderEstimated link=topic=79802.msg1471941#msg1471941 date=1181329306]
What exactly does this cartridge filter look like? My Focus had the 2.3L Duratec and it had a regular spin on filter.
[/quote]

It's a small round cartridge filter. I believe your Focus was the only one with the 2.3 that had a spin on filter. Lucky you.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I believe the 3 also has a spin-on. So do the Escape/Mariner/Tribute triplets.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Are you sure you have a spin on UnderEstimated?

To my knowledge I believe all 2.3L duratecs have the cartridge except the 2.3L Focus ST. This includes the Fusion and Mazda3.

There is a conversion that will allow you to use a spin on, but it can and will void your warranty. The conversion uses parts from the 2.0L duratec I believe.

3.0L duratecs have a spin on.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I don't think the oil change is that bad with the cartridge. It'll take me 15 minutes tops, the next time I change it. I don't know why people are so insistent on doing the spin on mod.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I agree. My wife has a 2.3L Mazda6, which has the cartridge. I didn't think it was a big deal at all. May have taken me an extra two minutes versus a twist on.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Just a FYI -- the 2.3L Duratec Escape/Tribute/Mariner use a spin-on (FL910)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Not all Fusions have cartridges. have seen 2 with a spin on stock. Lucky them LOL. I dont know what or why there mixed in. Might be something to do with the big sales numbers for 2.3s and meeting the demands.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=Crystallas link=topic=79802.msg1487538#msg1487538 date=1181849852]
Not all Fusions have cartridges. have seen 2 with a spin on stock. Lucky them LOL. I dont know what or why there mixed in. Might be something to do with the big sales numbers for 2.3s and meeting the demands.
[/quote]

Are you sure these weren't aftermarket? If done properly, it can appear to look like a stock setup. There's nothing wrong with the cartridge. The oil change is just as easy...I don't know why people are intimidated or worry about changing it to a spin on.

·
Registered
982 Posts
a little off subject...

I was at Advance Auto last night checking to see if they had either/both filters for the 2.3, and I noticed in the PureOne box, there are two gaskets that looks a lot like the ones the manual says are required to be replaced with every oil change. Are those, in fact, the right gaskets, or just other ones that are needed when using the cartridge filter? I still haven't gotten under my car yet to check things out, but I bought both types so I don't get stuck with the wrong one.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I finally got around to doing my oil today... and much to my dismay I have the cartridge type filter. I'm eventually going to switch over to the spin-on, but probably not until I'm closer to my next oil change. For now, I'll start researching and sourcing the parts I need to make the change.

By the way, I answered my own question about the gaskets. They fit pretty well, but not quite as good at the Ford ones. Yet again another reason to make the switch.

·
Registered
933 Posts
[quote author=swooshUSN link=topic=79802.msg1502660#msg1502660 date=1182363231]
I finally got around to doing my oil today... and much to my dismay I have the cartridge type filter. I'm eventually going to switch over to the spin-on, but probably not until I'm closer to my next oil change. For now, I'll start researching and sourcing the parts I need to make the change.

By the way, I answered my own question about the gaskets. They fit pretty well, but not quite as good at the Ford ones. Yet again another reason to make the switch.
[/quote]

You know you'll void your warranty if you do so..

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know why people are so adament about a spin on or the spin on mod. Seriously, this is the way to do it. You can change the oil without taking off the allen drain plug on the cartridge. There is NO reason to take that off every oil change. I know people that have never taken theirs off, so they never had to change this gasket. Just spin off the cartridge cap, change the gasket and cartridge, put the new one in and then drain the pan. This is so easy, even a caveman could do it. I just don't see why people are so intimidated by it. The cartridge isn't any harder than the spin on.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Its not about intimidation, its just a big mess. On my focus, I used to dread doing the oil changes because the filter was located on the BACK of the block and above the shaft. After finding myself in some interesting contortions on a creeper, I finally resorted to either removing the passenger wheel or using a lift when I had access to one. The spin on is simple, and effective... and since this one drops straight down its even easier.

I'm also not very concerned about warranty issues at this point. Sure, if my motor goes BOOM I'll be upset and I'll fight ford tooth and nail to have it covered, but the books already show that there are two types of filters out there. If I continue to use the Motorcraft filters and their oil, what can they say? I've done MUCH more in terms of modifications to my cars in the past and always had repairs covered under warranty.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can understand your frustration on the Focus, but the cartridge and the pan are in a perfect position for a cartridge change. There should be no frustration with an oil change on this one. The cartridge drain plug will only get removed to be changed once every 20K for me. There's really no reason to change this one out very often. That makes everything a snap.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nah, just an arbitrary number. I figure that's four oil changes for me at 5K OCI's

·
Registered
982 Posts
I'm not positive why the gasket would need to be replaced at EVERY oil change anyway. Granted, it comes with the filter so its not a huge deal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts