FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, this is a step-by-step so anyone can remove the hydrocarbon trap.

Tools:
Needlenose pliers
Phillips screwdriver
Plastic Baggie
Replacement radiator clamp (5")

Info: The hydrocarbon trap is designed to catch hydrocarbons both when you turn the engine off, and during the first minute of ignition. Hydrocarbons are bad to be released into the air...but I personally don't think it will cause giant global warming. The trap catches these molecules and then releases them back into the engine to be burned off. Removal of this might cause the car to not pass an emissions test, but here in Maine, they don't perform an emissions test. Plus, our cars are rated to pass the California Low Emissions Test, so other states might not flag your car. In any case, this mod is completely reversible. The reason I took mine out is because Mustangs had a hydrocarbon trap, but as the newer 05's came out and further, Ford stopped putting in the hydrocarbon trap. A tech on one of the boards, along with k&n and other CAI manufacturers say to include the trap in with a CAI. The reason for this is because otherwise you might get an engine code due to too much of a variance in the airflow. But, if you are running the stock air filter (or the K&N drop-in), you should be fine. Sorry if this is quite lengthy....not only is it my first write-up, but i want to make sure anyone can do it. This is also done on the I-4. I would imagine that the V6 is the same way. So...to the mod!

The air filter box.

The first thing is to disconnect the little sensor that plugs into the MAF. Just pull up the red tab and then pull the sensor off.

Next, unscrew the two screws from top of the MAF and pull it out. After removal, put it in a plastic bag in a safe place. You don't want to ruin this little $$$ part!

The MAF sensor out.

Next, undo the clips that hold the top of the air filter box, open it up, and take out the air filter and set it aside. You don't want to be wrestling with the airbox and crush a piece of the filter.

Once you take the filter out, if you look up inside there, you will see the honeycomb thing way in the back. That's the trap. I hadn't taken my MAF out yet, so you can see that too. Just make sure you take it out as told above.

This is the clamp that holds the airbox to the rubber tubing to the throttle body. Mine looks different. You want to take the needlenose pliers and bend the end of the stock clamp so you can remove it. The end has notches that sit into raised pieces of the clamp. It takes some bending and you won't be able to use it again once you take it off, but it will come off, you just have to bend and pry it off.

Once that is off, take your finger and stick it in between the rubber hose and plastic of the air box and pull the airbox out. There are a couple of little plastic tabs inside that fit into cutouts on the airbox. Just pull the airbox out and then you can see the trap right in the opening.

Now what you want to do it either a) take the needlenose and grab a bit of the trap and pull it out, or b) find something to put into the opening of the air filter side and push the trap out. The first time I did it, i was able to pull it out with the pliers. After putting it back in to take pictures, I couldn't get it out, so I took the handle of a hammer and just bounced it off the trap a few times until it came out. The hitting of the handle didn't damage the trap at all. Once it's out, you have the picture above. See, that just doesn't look good for airflow to me!

Now just follow the reverse instructions to put it back together. Insert the airbox top back into the rubber hose, making sure it is in all the way around and it is snug. The little tab that is on top will fit into the notch cut out in the plastic (pic 7). Then take your radiator clamp and put it where you took the stock one off and tighten it (pic 7). After that, put the air filter back into the box and clamp it shut again. Then take the MAF and install it back into the hole where you took it out. It is printed on the top of the MAF "FLOW ---->" Make sure the arrow is pointing toward the throttle body. Screw it in, make sure to re-attach the sensor that plugs into the MAF (i forgot and then wondered why my car was acting funny.) After that, set the trap aside incase you have to put it back in and you are done! I hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice write up -- but what the heck is the benefit?

G

·
Hmm...that's interesting. I would want to take mine out, but I want to see if it is really worth it so let me know!

Second of all, I wanted to point something out real quick.

I think you could just UNSCREW the clamp lol. Without having to bend it off lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The benefit, from what i've found, is increased airflow. i can really tell a difference in low-end torque. the way i thought of it was think of all that material in a pile. it would block a quarter to maybe a half of the pipe. that's a large amount of blocked air from getting to the engine!

As for the unscrewing, the stock clamp doesn't unscrew. the picture shows a screw clamp because that was after i had taken the stock clamp off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hummmm, It looks as if Ford may have had a mid year change in the set up and added this little useless device, The air filter box on my I4 is slightly different and DID NOT have that thing in there. What ever the reason for it , it is not required. Yank it out !!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I need a mid year v6 without, and I will pull mine..anybody?.... :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts