FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have a 2014 FFH I purchased in December to use it for Rideshare as a side gig. Initially it was saving me a lot of miles. Fast forward almost 8 months and 25k miles more. We had really hot weather here in L.A. I noticed the engine kept kicking on more. The battery depletes faster too, but many times the engine will turn on even though the battery is almost full. My avg MPG dropped from 42 to now 39. I assume it is just the battery degrading as the car now has 152k miles on it. Other than that, it is a very nice fully loaded model which I would hate to get rid of. I looked up local junkyard and the batteries are 400-700$ I was able to find them from low mileage vehicles as well around 30-60k miles. Has anyone had experience swapping these batteries? Any programming required? Or is there anything else anyone can suggest to help improve the battery condition. I only notice the engine kicking on more often on 100+ degree days. When it is colder weather, the mpg climbs up.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
I would guess that no matter the health of the battery, specific environmental things are going to affect it.
42 mpg down to 39 mpg
if you drive 600 miles a week, that is 1.1 gallons more, even at LA costs an extra $6 every 600 miles would take a while to recoup the cost.

The EPA rating for it is 43 city, 39 highway and 41 combined. I would say you are still in the realm of what it is supposed to do.

I don't know if there is a way to see a more granular SoC than the IPC shows, or if you can do any battery balancing or anything like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, this is my first hybrid car. But my prior experience in lithium batteries is once the degradation starts, it eventually accelerates. So I'm looking the next 6 months or so, it will degrade much faster than what it is now. Just need to be familiar with options when it comes to battery replacement, I don't want to shell out 3000+ if I can replace it for 600$. I have two other cars but they aren't ideal for long commuting to and from work plus some rideshare after work daily. And with the used car market still crazy. I'd like to be ready. Some time ago it was showing a wrench and giving an error message, but I replaced the regular battery and it went away as the car wouldn't start when the wrench came on. It has been about 4 months since then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts