FordFusionClub.com banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I JUST got done rep;acing my shocks, thanks to this thread!! It took me a couple of hours, but I got it done.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just read through all 9 pages of this thread and I didn't see anyone mention if you need an alignment after a spring install. Is it necessary to get one after installing lowering springs?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yes, you'll need an alignment. When you lower the car you are changing the geometry of the suspension. Your tires will not be in a straight line with the road. So you will have a much faster wear rate on your tires. You'll also get a handling benefit by doing the alignment after as well.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I always expected and planned on having to get one, but I thought that maybe since nobody said anything about it, that it wasn't necessary. Thanks for the quick reply.

·
Registered
158 Posts
So I installed Ford Racing drop springs last Friday. I haven't noticed much of a drop. I measured wheel well gap before and after and it only measures about a quarter of an inch lower now. How long do they usually take to settle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will have this thread open while doing my suspension this weekend. Anybody live in Texas close to mckinney interested in helping out? My tool selection is limited since my move to a smaller place so if you have plenty of tools and a garage I could drive to you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So after three days of my car being on jack stands she is finally done! It took three days because I ended up striping the lower control arm bolt and screw, :a: and had to wait for the local Ford deal to open up on Monday morning. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to get the pics from my phone to the pc.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought tein s techs for my I4. Do I need to use spring compressors when install the new springs or just when removing the old ones?

·
Registered
55 Posts
You will need the spring compressor when installing the new springs.
ok. and when im putting the new springs in, how do I know how much to compress them before tightening down the top hot? obviously enough to get the bolt on but is it possible to tighten it down to much?

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
ok. and when im putting the new springs in, how do I know how much to compress them before tightening down the top hot? obviously enough to get the bolt on but is it possible to tighten it down to much?
compress enough to get the bolt threaded and tightened down. the spring compressors are not going to compress super fast even if your using pneumatic tools (which i hope you are otherwise its gonna be a bitch)

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I was really hesitant to use my impact on the spring compressor -- it's hard to hold the spring itself in place, and if the compressor slides to a side, you've suddenly got a ton of improperly-compressed spring all lopsided. I really wish the spring compressors didn't have a smooth surface -- SOMETHING to create some friction to reduce the risk of sliding would be nice!

·
Registered
55 Posts
compress enough to get the bolt threaded and tightened down. the spring compressors are not going to compress super fast even if your using pneumatic tools (which i hope you are otherwise its gonna be a bitch)
I know they wont tighten down fast. I just didn't know if it was possible to compress the springs and then tighten the top hat down to where is compressed to much. all this being said I haven't even looked at my springs or anything, but im going to tackle this tomorrow morning, so hopefully all will go well

·
Registered
245 Posts

This type spring compressor works best. It compresses the coil spring evenly, no air tools needed, and ratchets down/locks once to the desired position. Costly though, about $900 bucks to buy. I've got friends, was able to borrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
Would the rear procedure work for a Lincoln MKZ 08? Pretty much the exact same vehicle just different branding lol
Hi Randy. Yes, the suspension setups are essentially the same. Shock/spring part numbers may vary though.

Good luck.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts