FordFusionClub.com banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just want to thank Luis for this "Thread Of The Ages". I finally swapped put my Vogtland springs on yesterday myself......without this thread I'd probably be $300 lighter in the wallet. Everything went pretty smooth......though I'm not a big fan of compressing springs.

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated! :goodjob: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
[quote author=Barchetta link=topic=171914.msg4096941#msg4096941 date=1313955043]
I just want to thank Luis for this "Thread Of The Ages". I finally swapped put my Vogtland springs on yesterday myself......without this thread I'd probably be $300 lighter in the wallet. Everything went pretty smooth......though I'm not a big fan of compressing springs.

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated! :goodjob: :cheers:
[/quote]

I agree. I kept this thread up the whole time while I was swapping mine out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
These instructions worked great for me too.

Oh, and umm.... Don't over-torque the bolts that hold the front struts up in the engine bay. I snapped one of mine off, so I get to do that corner all over again once I get the replacement piece.

·
Registered
764 Posts
ill chime in too. i used the instructions. did the rears a little different on one side tho. the exhaust made me do it this way to the pass rear tho. overall worked well. no comments on having to go ina dn tighten anything down after the suspension cycles though. after 5 days of driving im developing some clunking so im gonna go back in and make sure everything is tightened. kind of like when I lifted my jeep, after a couple days of driving youve got to go back in and make sure everything is tightened. cause when its planted or in the air and tightened, its always a tad bit different than after youve rolled around and cycled the suspension.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Did mine again, more experience points:

If you're just doing shock absorbers in the rear, it's not at all necessary to deal with the rear spring. I did both mine just fine. The procedure I followed was:
[list type=decimal]
Remove tire
Support lower control arm with a jack
Disconnect shock absorber lower bolt
Compress the shock absorber all the way and pull it towards you, letting it snag on the wheel hub to keep it out of your way.
Disconnect upper control arm lower bolt. There may be some tension and the hub assembly may fall foward a bit, and the shock absorber may free itself again.
Disconnect upper control arm upper bolt. Remove the control arm.
Using some long extensions (a good 18 inches worth) remove two of the three shock absorber mounting bracket bolts, coming in from underneath the car
Use a short 15mm wrench to get the last bolt
Replace the shock absorber, bolt the bracket back in
When reinstalling the upper control arm, do the top bolt first.
Second bolt is much easier if it's the lower one, since you need to visually line it back up
Sometimes it's easier to be underneath the car looking up. Sometimes there's not enough space for a wrench when you're outside the car but come in from underneath (with the wrench handle more towards the center of the car) and you can get another 10-15° of swing[/list]

Doing it this way, I managed to get all four shocks done in about five hours, including screwing around and making some mistakes (pinched the sway bar link stud in the front, for example)
[/list]

Unfortunantly I'm still not satisfied with my ride.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
[quote author=ahanix1989 link=topic=171914.msg4174297#msg4174297 date=1326757926]

Unfortunantly I'm still not satisfied with my ride.
[/quote]
Shouldn't have expected good things about <$200 shocks.

·
Registered
6,432 Posts
Soft doesn't always mean comfortable. Controlled damping means comfortable. Controlled damping most likely won't come from <$200 shocks, because they probably aren't valved for the Fusion particularly.

·
Super Moderator
5,755 Posts
[quote author=ahanix1989 link=topic=171914.msg4174578#msg4174578 date=1326819647]
I wish there were a try-before-you-buy.... Or wish I lived near other people and could compare. Hard to believe my $23,000 car feels like this
[/quote]

Hi ahanix. :wavey: Of course, we can not feel what your car rides like or examine it to see if there is some other problem in the suspension causing your dissatisfaction. However, , generally speaking (and assuming no other underlying issues) you will not find a Fusion that rides much softer than what you got with the stock/factory shocks your car came with.

Adding the MKZ shocks was a mistake, since they were designed/valved for a heavier V-6 engine upfront and would likely be slightly stiffer than your stock I-4 shocks. And most aftermarket shocks are aimed at the performance minded crowd, not those who want softer rides.

Assuming your tires are not overinflated and/or there are no other underlying suspension issues, there is not much that can be done to "soften" the ride further than stock. Of course, our cars will never ride like a Crown Vic, Grand Marquis or Town Car (not saying that is what you want or expect, but I need to start somewhere with a comparison). For example, have you driven other Fusion I-4 models to compare your ride? If yes, did they feel the same? Softer riding? harder riding? How about V-6 models?

While I did not read all the way back in this thread, I believe (if I recall correctly) that we have previously discussed the fact that if you want a "softer" ride you should be looking for a different type of tire. Something more in the Grand Touring or Standard Touring categories as opposed to what you may have now. Also, as tires age they ride gets harder, even when the tread "appears" to have plenty of miles left.

So assuming no defect in the shocks or suspension, your only options really boil down to softer riding tires and correct tire pressures. Aftermarket shocks are usually aimed towards performance minded owners and generally will not provide a "softer" ride than the factory OEM models.

Good luck. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Shocks should be the same for both the V6 and I4 models as long as you're getting OEM replacements.
Havent looked into performance shocks for an I4 to compare part numbers but as far as stock goes they are the same regardless of the engine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just wanted to give a quick thanks. I read this thread many times before lowering my Fusion and it definitely made the install a lot easier. A friend and I had the old springs out and the new ones installed in just over 2 hours. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=171914.msg4174610#msg4174610 date=1326821918]
I think the only member out there is blackfusion07 (Matt) but he is on KW Variant 1 coils so it would be a really rough ride considering he is slammed. If your ever in the Detroit/Ann Arbor area for any reason I would be glad to let you feel my ride though.
[/quote]

Old post, but I love the way my car feels. Couldn't be happier :)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good write up finally put some springs on. I have one thing to say, FUCK compressing springs by hand by yourself. My hands are bruised don't think I'll ever do that again.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
[quote author=NeverYachtz link=topic=171914.msg4251045#msg4251045 date=1342685995]
Finally ordered the Steeda kit for my Fusion's 2nd birthday. Will be installing it next weekend, hopefully. I will probably read over this thread 10 times before then. Looking forward to the install, and thanks for making the writeup and pics. :respect:
[/quote]

No problem. Send me a pm if you get stuck on something.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts