FordFusionClub.com banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
The spring compressor is kind of a pain if you do it yourself. Most of the time I was lucky enough to have a friend or roommate nearby to hold the contraption from moving out of control. Curious, how long did it take you to swap out the springs? And what brand did you end up settling with?

Someone has to say it, PICTURZZZZZ! :lol:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I went with the Eibach 1.6" pro kit. It took me about 5 hours with a couple breaks here and there. I need to wash the car in the morning then I will get a few pics and post them up.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
[quote author=gunzburg link=topic=171914.msg3995970#msg3995970 date=1303010486]
I went with the Eibach 1.6" pro kit. It took me about 5 hours with a couple breaks here and there. I need to wash the car in the morning then I will get a few pics and post them up.
[/quote]

Sounds about right, especially if it's your first time doing it on this car.

Can't wait to see the pics. :goodjob:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I'm getting ready to tackle this in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.
Another question though, I have the Vogtland V6 35mm spring kit (uninstalled), and am going to get the KYB GR-2 shocks to install at the same time.
Will I need any parts off/from a Fusion if I want to pre-assemble the front shock/spring assembly besides the rubber 'dampners' that go over the ends of the springs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
[quote author=Barchetta link=topic=171914.msg4002672#msg4002672 date=1303610061]
I'm getting ready to tackle this in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.
Another question though, I have the Vogtland V6 35mm spring kit (uninstalled), and am going to get the KYB GR-2 shocks to install at the same time.
Will I need any parts off/from a Fusion if I want to pre-assemble the front shock/spring assembly besides the rubber 'dampners' that go over the ends of the springs?

Thanks!
[/quote]
your favorite part is going to be the rear shocks. have fun! :lol:

·
Registered
71 Posts
[quote author=JrModIt link=topic=171914.msg4006390#msg4006390 date=1303948184]
that drop looks good kwalt21!
what springs/shocks/or coilovers did you go with?
[/quote]

I used the Steeda springs! Stock struts and no coil covers. I figured once I blow a strut I will get better ones. Got them today at 1pm and by 5 they were on and I was rollin haha. I have to go to the local Ford dealer tomorrow for an alignment just to be safe. Here's a picture of the trunk just to show it off ;)

Below picture is before lowering..

·
Registered
71 Posts
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=171914.msg4006494#msg4006494 date=1303955200]
Looks nice, but please tell me those are not neons.......I thought that fad was finally over :/
[/quote]

LED's! So it's with the times :p They are almost garbage anyways winter kill them!

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I dont believe it to be completely necessary but youre basically at that point either way..and may be easier if you did remove. IIRC

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It's like 2 bolts to remove the rear springs. Might as well remove them to have more room.

·
Registered
37 Posts
[quote author=gunzburg link=topic=171914.msg3995946#msg3995946 date=1303009280]
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone here. Installed the springs on Wednesday, went smooth. Man the spring compressor business is a butt kicker, I was worn out just from that. Guess as I was doing it every muscle in my body was tense and my nerves were shot but it was easy and I enjoyed it.

The car sits perfectly now, the way it should look and the ride is great.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Hey GUNZburg!
I wanted to see how your suspension is treating you?? I live nearby in Denton and am getting ready to buy parts. Why did u go with Eibach over Tein and Vogtland? Maybe we can meet up someday as I would love to compare against my orginal springs and struts. - :Hi5:

THE MAVS!!! :break:Later -

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Well, swapped the new shocks in and overall I am disappointed. It feels no different as far as absorbing shocks and I have a clunk presumably coming from a sway bar link I couldn't get tight enough. Waste of $200 and a weekend. Sigh, oh well. I'm apparently really good at spending exorbitant amounts of money and gaining nothing. Also, thank you Spellcheck for assisting me on 'exorbitant'.

Here's some things I noticed along the way to help out other people:

Front Suspension

This is the "proper" way to remove the front swaybar links, with a 5mm allen key holding the stud in place. Unfortunantly Ford forgot that these cars are exposed to, like, weather and the hole tends to round out. I had to put a vice grip on the other side to hold it in place, but tore a boot in the process. Probably time for new ones. I noticed that the drivers side spun a lot easier than the passenger side -- is it likely worn out by now anyway?

I tried using a bolt to hold the shock hat to remove the center bolt (as pictured here), but it wasn't working too well. I got by by placing a wrench between the threaded rod of the spring compressor and one of the three tower bolts. That worked. On the other one, I found a MUCH easier method -- Before removing the shock from the car, just give that bolt a quarter-turn. Just enough to break it loose while it's all still firmly attached to the car. Then when the entire assembly is out and you have that spring compressed, you can just spin that nut off.

Rear Suspension

On the rear suspension, that arm you need to disconnect to get access to a shock mount bolt? If you only have a limited selection of sockets like me, I highly recommend disconnecting the lower end of the shock absorber then compressing it and pulling it up towards you, perhaps ziptying it to the brake line bracket. This gives you a lot more space to use a regular socket and wrench.

That lower control arm alignment I was complaining about not getting? The second time took all of three minutes. In my case, this is the exact spot I had to pry with a screwdriver to get it lined up while hitting the bolt with a hammer. As pictured, i was pulling the handle towards me.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
[quote author=ahanix1989 link=topic=171914.msg4088700#msg4088700 date=1312729379]
This is the "proper" way to remove the front swaybar links, with a 5mm allen key holding the stud in place. Unfortunantly Ford forgot that these cars are exposed to, like, weather and the hole tends to round out. I had to put a vice grip on the other side to hold it in place, but tore a boot in the process. Probably time for new ones. I noticed that the drivers side spun a lot easier than the passenger side -- is it likely worn out by now anyway?
[/quote]
If you pull back that boot you can get a set of rubber tipped vice grips in there that will not damage the link. That's how I did it.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts