FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some guys have asked about installing springs. The instrutions on Steeda's website are a pretty good but I wanted to give more visual aids. I didn't find anything on how to replace the rear shocks either so I went ahead and took some pics of those too. It was pretty easy once I figured out and saw what had to come off.
So here you guys go. How to install springs and swap out the rear shocks.

Start by taking off the bolt that holds the brake line.

Next take off the "wishbone" by taking off the two bolts. One at the top and one on bottom.

Now take off the nut that connects the link bar to the wishbone and remove the link bar.

Once disconnected remove the wishbone.

Now go to the engine bay and remove the three nuts on the strut tower.
It's a good idea to mark one of the bolts to the tower so you know which way it goes.
Hold on to the strut when removing the last nut. It will drop. Go ahead and remove it

BE CAREFUL IN THE FOLLOWING STEPS. COMPRESSING SPRINGS IS DANGEROUS AND SHOULD BE DONE CAREFULLY.
Now that its off use the spring clamps to compress the springs. You can rent a set at Autozone for around $50 which they will refund you back once you return them.

Once compressed take off the nut on top of the strut and the strut should come off. The bolt shown in the pic helped so the assembly wouldn't rotate when loosening the nut. If you're using an impact wrench you won't need it. The bolt is metric, 5 or 6 mm.
Slowly decompress (is that a word?) the clamps.

Make sure you don't forget to install the dampner from the OEM spring onto the new one.

To install just reverse the steps.
Now give yourself a pat on the back. You just finished installing the front springs.

On to the rear.

Start by placing your jack under the spring and jack it up to support it.

Remove the bolt that links to the sway bar.

Now remove the bolt on the front side (closest to you)

Slowly lower the jack and get it out of the way.
The spring will easily come out. Edit: Mine came out easily because I already had lowering springs. When I did my sister's I found that OEM springs will require a little bit more effort. Use a pry bar to help remove it.

Now reverse the steps to install.

If you are replacing the rear shocks leave the springs off so they don't get in the way.

Start by loosening the bolt behind the top side of the rotor. No need to take it off.

Now follow that part and remove the bolt on the opposite end. (It's right next to the top side of the shock)

Once the bolt is out, swing the part down so it's out of the way.

Now go to the top side of the shock and you will see a bracket with 3 bolts.
Go ahead and remove them.

Now go to th bottom of the shock and remove that bolt.
The shock should now drop. You might have to play with it a little to maneuver out .

Once out remove the bolt from the shock and bracket. Replace the shock and reverse the steps.

Congrats, go have a beer and enjoy the new ride.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the only thing that drops is the lower control arm everything else stays in place.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
yea now i have a dilema as i dont have an inch and a half clearance when i pulll into my driveway. if i have 4 people in the car it scrapes now :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
Gotta love guys like you that take the time to document these procedures! Nice work!!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I know this may be asking much, but does anyone know of what size sockets/wrenches are needed for this install? Is a torque wrench needed for anything?

THanks

Will be installing Teins and KYB Gr-2s coming spring time.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
When I try to install my springs hopefully this weekend and it isn't as easy as you make it looks, I will definitely come on here and through every wrench I have at you 20louie!! :rant: :mad: :censored: :mad: :lmao: Great write up man. It's people like you who helps me save a lot of money by doing things myself.

·
Registered
191 Posts
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=171914.msg3935567#msg3935567 date=1297806742]
When I try to install my springs hopefully this weekend and it isn't as easy as you make it looks, I will definitely come on here and through every wrench I have at you 20louie!! :rant: :mad: :censored: :mad: :lmao: Great write up man. It's people like you who helps me save a lot of money by doing things myself.
[/quote]

do you think you could keep track of all socket and wrench sizes used for me?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a problem Ceace. Glad I can be of some assistance.
Tools needed are 10 12 14 15 and 17mm sockets if I remember correctly. Its a good idea to have wrenches too. You'll also need a prybar for the rear springs.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
[quote author=ztardivo link=topic=171914.msg3935604#msg3935604 date=1297811016]
[quote author=Ceace link=topic=171914.msg3935567#msg3935567 date=1297806742]
[/quote]

do you think you could keep track of all socket and wrench sizes used for me?
[/quote]

Sure.

·
Registered
191 Posts
thumbs up to both of you

o and my springs came in today... still trying to find the right shocks

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I had my wife pick up the spring compressor from Autozone. I don't think this type will will get the spring off the strut. This is the kind she picked up. I can't see being able to insert this thing inside the spring while it is on the strut.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Yeah, I was playing around with it with the lowering springs, then it finally hit me: this thing won't fit inside the spring with the strut!! :lol: I guess I got to g back to Autozone in the morning. :(

1 - 20 of 100 Posts