FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the process of creating this How-To thread, but my computer locked up and somehow posted the pics before I could finish. So, I have deleted them and will redo this post this evening at home. :( I will rename it with "Re-done" at the end of the title.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: How-To:Side Mirror LED Arrow Turn Signal

From the top, pull the mirror back enough for you to see the clips that hold the mirror plate to the motorized mount. Use a knife or flat head screw driver to pull back the clamps to release the plate.

Use a heat gun (a hair dryer might work, but it will take a little longer) to apply heat to the the mirror for about 20 seconds to loosen the adhesive holding the mirror in place. Pull the mirror from the adhesive beginning with the edge. Apply steady and moderate force when pulling.

Too much force will crack the mirror. So, take your time.

When you have seperated the mirror from the adhesive pad, remove the pad from the plastic backing and apply double sided tape because the adhesive pad is useless now. Place the LED on the backing and use it as a template to cut out a triangle clearance for the LED.

The LED in this pic should be flipped with its back facing up. With the plate facing down, use a piece of duct tape to place over the cut out. This will hold the LED in place from the back and prevent it from falling out when the mirror is placed back on the housing.

Remove the door panel and the plastic cup that hides the nuts that hold the mirror housing in place. Unplug the power supply. Remove the nuts and pull the housing off of the door.

Remove the styrofoam and fish the wire for the LED so that it runs with the existing wiring.

Mount the mirror plate back to its housing and replace it back to the door.

Pull back the cover for the power wires on the door next to the fender. Use a wire hanger to run the LED wires with the power wired through the rubber boot between the door and fender. I had a problem running the wire completely through the boot due to the bends, so I sliced a small hole in the boot for the wires to exit there.

Then, run the wire up behinf the fender to the engin bay.

I hid the wire under the lip of the fender that bolts to the body of the car.

(Note: I am not sure if the wire color codes are the same for all model)

Remove the front turn signal from the headlight.
Attach the positive (red) wire to the yellow/violet color (far right) wire on the headlight turn signal on the passenger side, and attach the ground (black) wire to a ground source of your choice.

Attach the positive (red) wire to the blue wire (far right) wire on the headlight turn signal on the driver side and attach the ground (black) wire to a source of your choice.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Now, replace your mirrors back on the mirror plates with the use of the double sided tape. You could have done this before you attached the plates back on the housing. Apply firm pressure so that the glass has good adhesion. Wipe off the fingerprints with a cloth and windex, and enjoy.

Side Mirror LED Arrow Turn Signal Install for '06 Ford Fusion

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Re: How-To:Side Mirror LED Arrow Turn Signal (Re-done with Explanation)

good write up cease. can you take a few steps back and get a real time view and a night shot so we can see how it will look to other drivers? but awsome upgrade!!!!

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

Ha...sweet mod Cease!!! Thanks for the write up

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

[quote author=blackfusion06 link=topic=188838.msg3983783#msg3983783 date=1301948085]
good write up cease. can you take a few steps back and get a real time view and a night shot so we can see how it will look to other drivers? but awsome upgrade!!!!
[/quote]

Ok. My intentions were to do a video of both sides alternating during day and night, but the salesperson at the auto store ordered the passenger side mirror instead of the driver side so I could replace the one I broke. I went ahead and ordered one from Ebay because it took the auto shop nearly a week to receive the order. So, hopefully I should have more videos by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

I've been trying to think of a way to do this for awhile now! I was originally just thinking to put a few LEDs inside the mirror housing, next to the mirror itself... But figured that would be too ghetto, lmao. Never thought of doing it that way!

I'm totally going to steal this idea. >=D

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

[quote author=my95z34 link=topic=188838.msg3983995#msg3983995 date=1301962829]
I've been trying to think of a way to do this for awhile now! I was originally just thinking to put a few LEDs inside the mirror housing, next to the mirror itself... But figured that would be too ghetto, lmao. Never thought of doing it that way!

I'm totally going to steal this idea. >=D
[/quote]

Go right ahead! :) I am glad you didn't do it the way you were thinking. :lol: Oh, and here is the link to purchase them for those who want to do this mod.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Car-Side-Mirror-Arrow-LED-Light-28-smd-Turn-Signal-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef934d29dQQitemZ270468960925QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My replacement mirror arrived yesterday, and I just installed it this morning. Well, I am still in a bad situation. The mirror I ordered is a double sided mirror, which means it can be flipped and used for either side, which makes me wonder why they advertise it for the "driver side". Well, my LED barely shows through this mirror due to this feature. So, I am going to have to return it and order one from the auto parts store, which will take almost a week for them to order and receive it. :x I have yet to completely enjoy this mod. I try to use only my right turn signal just because the left side isn't visible!! :lol: I will post a video of the difference later.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here is a crappy video I took with my cell phone of the side mirror blinkers. You can see that the driver side mirror blinker is dim because of the double sided mirror I ordered.

2006 Ford Fusion Signal Mods

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

[quote author=Ceace link=topic=188838.msg3989413#msg3989413 date=1302397261]

Here is a crappy video I took with my cell phone of the side mirror blinkers. You can see that the driver side mirror blinker is dim because of the double sided mirror I ordered.

2006 Ford Fusion Signal Mods
[/quote]

Me = sadface

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Re: How-To:Side Mirror LED Arrow Turn Signal (Video Uploaded 4/9/2011)

Super job Cease!! Get that driver mirror fixed and it will be all good.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

[quote author=HALOREALM link=topic=188838.msg3989424#msg3989424 date=1302399119]
Super job Cease!! Get that driver mirror fixed and it will be all good.
[/quote]

Yeah, I will order one Monday. But, until then, I will have to have to deal with it. :(

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Well, seems like all the auto parts stores can't seem to get a replacement factory mirror for the Fusion, which is confusing because Advanced Auto ordered me the mirror for the WRONG side at first, but now that they see I need the driver side, they can't get it. So, I had to end up ordering from the dealership, which is about 4 bucks more so thats not bad. This is one of the longest mods I have had a hard time completing, even longer than installing my lowering springs with the issued I encountered. So, this mod is STILL ~To be continued...~ for 100% completion.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Ok, I finally got my driver side mirror replaced. It feels funny to finally have the signal blinking on my side. :lol: And the video sucks. I used my ell phone. I MUST invest in a video camera ASAP.

Fod Fusion Side Mirror Signal Mod - Fixed

1 - 20 of 44 Posts