41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, maybe I am repeating information already on this post but I will
anyway.

I have the 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with 18" low profile piece of you-know-what
Goodyear RSA tires that are barely good for keeping the frame off the pavement
in both winter AND summer. Even with AWD those tires are better off as skis.

I replaced them with some EXCELLENT Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on black-painted steel
wheels, 205/60R16 with a T speed rating and new TPMS sensors. Since my
original wheels/tires were sitting in the trunk and back seat, no warnings showed up.

I bought the Ford TPMS reset tool shown in this board from eBay at $23. I put my
original tires in my garage (you need to be 35 ft away or the system will continue
to read the other wheels) drove down to the end of my driveway and followed the
instructions stated before (and came with my reset tool) EXCEPT for 2010
vehicles you place the tool ON THE AIR VALVE not opposite the valve. They
say you need to do it within 2 minutes of activating the computer via turning
the key on and off several times but you have to be an idiot - or physically
challenged - not to get it done in half that time. Just press and release the button
and wait for the single horn beep. Move in a clockwise manner after starting with
the Front Driver's side wheel and you are done. If the horn DOES NOT beep after
the last wheel, that's it. A quick check of the dashboard message will confirm it.

By the way, after you have the winter tires on the car check the air pressure.
Mine was at 34 lbs inside the Tire Rack garage BUT...it was 20 degrees (F)
outside so I reminded them that their website stated for every 10 degrees (F) drop
in outside temperature tire pressure will drop 1 lb. The 40-50 degree
change would have dropped my brand new snow tires to below 30 lbs.

They agreed and increased it to 37 lbs before I left. Most tire manufacturers
recommend you set your snow tires to 3-4 lbs above your placard pressures just
due to normal cold winter temperatures. Anyway, it was easy!

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=arbie link=topic=144972.msg3453792#msg3453792 date=1260558705]
Well, maybe I am repeating information already on this post but I will
anyway.

I have the 2010 Fusion Sport AWD with 18" low profile piece of you-know-what
Goodyear RSA tires that are barely good for keeping the frame off the pavement
in both winter AND summer. Even with AWD those tires are better off as skis.

I replaced them with some EXCELLENT Michelin X-Ice Xi2 on black-painted steel
wheels, 205/60R16 with a T speed rating and new TPMS sensors. Since my
original wheels/tires were sitting in the trunk and back seat, no warnings showed up.

I bought the Ford TPMS reset tool shown in this board from eBay at $23. I put my
original tires in my garage (you need to be 35 ft away or the system will continue
to read the other wheels) drove down to the end of my driveway and followed the
instructions stated before (and came with my reset tool) EXCEPT for 2010
vehicles you place the tool ON THE AIR VALVE not opposite the valve. They
say you need to do it within 2 minutes of activating the computer via turning
the key on and off several times but you have to be an idiot - or physically
challenged - not to get it done in half that time. Just press and release the button
and wait for the single horn beep. Move in a clockwise manner after starting with
the Front Driver's side wheel and you are done. If the horn DOES NOT beep after
the last wheel, that's it. A quick check of the dashboard message will confirm it.

By the way, after you have the winter tires on the car check the air pressure.
Mine was at 34 lbs inside the Tire Rack garage BUT...it was 20 degrees (F)
outside so I reminded them that their website stated for every 10 degrees (F) drop
in outside temperature tire pressure will drop 1 lb. The 40-50 degree
change would have dropped my brand new snow tires to below 30 lbs.

They agreed and increased it to 37 lbs before I left. Most tire manufacturers
recommend you set your snow tires to 3-4 lbs above your placard pressures just
due to normal cold winter temperatures. Anyway, it was easy!
[/quote]

Hi arbie. :wavey: Thanks, all good information that can not be repeated too many times.

Only one small (but important) error (sorry for nitpicking): All tire manufacturers tell vehicle owners to follow the instructions of the manufacturer of the vehicle. I don't know of any tire manufacturer that will tell a vehicle owner to inflate their tires "to 3-4 pounds above the placard pressure".

For liability reasons alone, no tire manufacturer will contradict the vehicle manufacturer.

We make up for the temperature variation of cold winter temperatures by inflating to the proper pressure while the tires are cold, before driving on them.

That being said, we can get slightly better handling, fuel mileage and treadwear by inflating slightly (like you stated, 2-4 psi) above the manufacturers recommendations on the door sill sticker. This will result in only a slight degradation of ride quality, which most people will never notice.

However, no major tire manufacturer will tell you to do that. For their own legal protection a tire manufacturer will not tell you do inflate to any pressure that is different than the vehicle manufacturers recommendation on the door sill sticker. To contradict the auto manufacturers recommendations on individual vehicles would open the tire manufacturer up to major liability problems should someone ever follow their advice and have major tire problems.

An important point to remember though, when deciding on a proper inflation pressure (other than the manufacturer recommended), the "Law of Diminishing Returns" strictly applies. Although 2-4 psi can bring some improvement, that does not mean that 5-10psi over (or more) is better. The reality is quite the opposite.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :cheers:

PS - Arbie, if you can provide a link to any major tire manufacturer website that tells us to inflate over the vehicle manufacturers recommendation, I will be happy to read it and reassess my advice. :hug:

·
Registered
464 Posts
I went through all the electrical schematics in a Chiltons manual for an 08 and there is a specific module for seemingly everything but the TPMS. It must be part of a larger component. I'm thinking its in the Smart Junction Box since everything is wired to that sucker in one way or another. I'm done messing around with stem sensors on a banded car, I just swapped them back and I'm moving on.

BTW 2010 Hybrid wheels fit the older cars fine but the Ford center cap doesn't fit over the wheel bearing dust cap on the rears. I should have took a picture because aside from the SAP wheels, these are the 2nd best looking rims I've seen on a 06-09. Super classy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went ahead and ordered some black 16" steelies with Firestone Winterforce... These tires are what I had on my Mustang for 2 winters very sucessfully. They are very inexpensive and while handling is a little squishy, they wear very well and are unstoppable in the snow! I went without the TPMS sensors and when I get annoyed with it, I will get some and have them installed!

·
Registered
38 Posts
So to concur with what has already been stated... The bands don't register on a 2010! Anyone want to trade bands for valve-stems?

·
Registered
281 Posts
im looking into buying some sensors off of ebay for my new wheels. from what i under stand as long as the sensor is a ford sensor and has the same 315MHz frequency it should work correct? (program is needed) if not what do i need to match up a part number? does any one have the 08 fusion band style sensor part #?

·
Registered
682 Posts
After reading the shop manual and through this thread, it appears that there isn't any need for me to buy this tool. Is that correct? I have a 2010 Sport. I intend to rotate the tires, probably myself, every 5,000 miles. I don't see a need for the tool after a tire rotation. I don't intend to change the wheels. The factory Sport wheel satisfies my needs. The only need then would be if a sensor needs to be changed, which would be done by a tire shop or the dealer, and if they can handle a sensor change, would they not also be able to handle any re-programming? Or would it be to my benefit to perform the reprogramming to save an additional charge of some sort?

Also, about 10 years ago, when I worked in a Lincoln dealership, the front-end technician used a transmission magnet for programming. Some Lincolns used the band sensor only back then. Would that magnet work on the 2010 valve stem sensors?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=Big Jim link=topic=144972.msg3811360#msg3811360 date=1285739414]
After reading the shop manual and through this thread, it appears that there isn't any need for me to buy this tool. Is that correct? I have a 2010 Sport. I intend to rotate the tires, probably myself, every 5,000 miles. I don't see a need for the tool after a tire rotation. I don't intend to change the wheels. The factory Sport wheel satisfies my needs. The only need then would be if a sensor needs to be changed, which would be done by a tire shop or the dealer, and if they can handle a sensor change, would they not also be able to handle any re-programming? Or would it be to my benefit to perform the reprogramming to save an additional charge of some sort?

Also, about 10 years ago, when I worked in a Lincoln dealership, the front-end technician used a transmission magnet for programming. Some Lincolns used the band sensor only back then. Would that magnet work on the 2010 valve stem sensors?
[/quote]

Hi Big Jim. :wavey: You are correct concerning the TPMS reprogramming tool/tire rotation question. You do not need to reprogram the TPMS sensors when the tires/wheels are rotated.

As far as whether you would save money by buying the reprogramming tool (and reprogramming yourself) in case a sensor ever fails and a shop needs to replace it? Well, that would probably depend on the policy of the individual shop. Since the primary/major labor of replacing a TPMS sensor would involve dismounting the tire from the wheel, replacing the sensor then remounting the tire anyway. my "educated guess" is that many shops may include that reprogramming service (a minor job in the entire process) as part of the general sensor replacement job cost. Of course, other shops may make it a separate line item charge. So asking upfront what the charges will be is probably best. And yes, with TPMS systems being Federally mandated on new cars nowadays (don't get me started on that :blah: :lmao:), any competent tire shop should be able to reprogram the sensors (but again, always ask upfront to save yourself some grief).

Concerning whether using a transmission magnet or something similar would work, instead of the programming tool? That answer I do not know. I have heard anecdotal evidence that it "should" work, but no reliable evidence that it actually does.

My opinion, for what it is worth? Since the TPMS reprogramming tools are available from various sources for about $20, if I had a car with the TPMS system I would purchase the tool. But that is just my opinion and not necessarily the right answer for everyone.

Hope this information helps.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I have an OBD II Code Reader that I occasionally use, so perhaps this fits the same category. After spending over $200.00 for the shop manual, what's another $20.00.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I look at this way, every tire shop I've ever gone to locally has been absolutely useless when it came time to reprogram the TPMS in the car after seasonal wheel swaps. Most of them claim they don't have the tool or think that I'm a tool willing to pay stupid sums of money for what is a five minute job.

NefCanuck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Are you guys installing sensors in aftermarket/upsized wheels? I don't like the message on the dash everytime I drive somewhere and the constantly lit (_!_) sign. Would you install TPMS sensors in 20" wheels? (35 series tires)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can a set of wheels off a 2009 FF with the original band sensors be trained to work on a 2010 FF?? I have aftermarket wheels on my '10 that I am turning in a lease and have a person with a set of 2009 wheels that wants to trade with me plus some cash. I need to verify that the band type can be trained to my '10.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=modular link=topic=144972.msg4004633#msg4004633 date=1303818488]
Can a set of wheels off a 2009 FF with the original band sensors be trained to work on a 2010 FF?? I have aftermarket wheels on my '10 that I am turning in a lease and have a person with a set of 2009 wheels that wants to trade with me plus some cash. I need to verify that the band type can be trained to my '10.
[/quote]

Hi modular. :wavey: See your other post concerning this question. Short answer is no they can not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a question. I'm buying a set of rims and tires from a 2010 milan to put on my 07fusion s? I shouldn't have to worry about the TPMS even though the tires have it, because I don't have the TPMS receiver in the car, correct?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=pebrain21 link=topic=144972.msg4098229#msg4098229 date=1314115164]
I have a question. I'm buying a set of rims and tires from a 2010 milan to put on my 07fusion s? I shouldn't have to worry about the TPMS even though the tires have it, because I don't have the TPMS receiver in the car, correct?
[/quote]

Hi pebrain. :wavey: Correct. The only possible drawback is you are probably paying (one way or another) for sensors which will be of no use to you.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks BBF...I'm not too worried about that, I got a good deal on the set. I just didn't want a warning light on my dash after I installed them...but no worries now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just installed my General Altimax Artics from my 2006 Fusion SE onto my new 2012. I ended up ordering a set of FoMoCo TPMS sensors from Blue Oval Industries for $95 for the set. Kid at the local garage messed up one of the stems installing them (dumbass kid!) but after some "back and forth" finally got them installed on the car....

Interestingly, the TPMS system did not reject them and the warning light on the dash did not come on....seems that when you go O.E., you are all set...I was ready for a trip to the dealership for a "reset" but, nope! All set...anyone else run across this?

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=twintornados link=topic=144972.msg4148134#msg4148134 date=1321396871]
I just installed my General Altimax Artics from my 2006 Fusion SE onto my new 2012. I ended up ordering a set of FoMoCo TPMS sensors from Blue Oval Industries for $95 for the set. Kid at the local garage messed up one of the stems installing them (dumbass kid!) but after some "back and forth" finally got them installed on the car....

Interestingly, the TPMS system did not reject them and the warning light on the dash did not come on....seems that when you go O.E., you are all set...I was ready for a trip to the dealership for a "reset" but, nope! All set...anyone else run across this?
[/quote]

Hi twintornados. :wavey: This subject has been addressed many times in the past. For example, see this recent thread - http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=200408.0

New sensors must be programmed to the vehicle. If they are not, the TPMS warning light will eventually illuminate. While the light will not immediately illuminate, it will eventually illuminate days or weeks down the road, according to how often/far the vehicle is driven. If the light does not illuminate after some time, then the sensors were programmed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I will keep my eyes peeled for the light to come on, but I have driven the car several times including my 3 1/2 hour commute to get to my work site for a few days and nothing....here's to hoping the system will recognize my sensors and begin to function....the wait continues...

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
[quote author=twintornados link=topic=144972.msg4148807#msg4148807 date=1321486705]
I will keep my eyes peeled for the light to come on, but I have driven the car several times including my 3 1/2 hour commute to get to my work site for a few days and nothing....here's to hoping the system will recognize my sensors and begin to function....the wait continues...
[/quote]

Hi tt. :wavey: Just another thought/possibility; are you absolutely, 100% sure the tire shop that installed the sensors and mounted the tires did not program the sensors? After all, TPMS systems are not news anymore, so programming new/existing sensors is part of the normal operating procedure of any half-way competent shop on wheel/tire changes nowadays.

This would not be the first case of someone thinking their sensors were not programmed/reprogrammed when they actually were. It may be a good idea to double-check and ask the shop what their procedure is. :popcorn:

Let us know what you find out and good luck. :cheers:

41 - 60 of 82 Posts