FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've been talking about painting the chrome grille for awhile now, and I'm in the middle of doing it. Here's a little play by play of what, and how I did it. I started it yesterday, and if the paint is dry today (and I really hope it is) I'll be putting it back together.

I know some people relly like the way the chrome looks on the car, but anyone who knows me knows I'm all about the black baby!!!

Okay, so first things first. The whole front end of the car, or front bumper needed to be removed. Under the front end, there were several screws that needed to be removed first. The two side markers needed to be removed as well. To remove those, you need to reach in and squeeze a little clip while pushing out. After the clip is pushed out, just pull towards the back of the car to remove the side markers. Then the bumper is held on by these weird clips. WARNING- BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THESE CLIPS. I used a flathead screwdriver to start the clips popping. After that, it was smooth sailing.

After removing the bumper, the chrome pieces needed to be removed. These are held in by more clips again. These were very easy to remove. The Chrome fog light bezzles were help in place by clips, easy enough to remove as well.

To remove the the chrome piece on the trunk, I needed to pull the clips that hold the carpet to the top if the inside of the trunk. There are four screws that hold the chrome piece on the trunk, and one small white clip. That was very easy to remove.

Every last piece of chrome that was pulled off needed to be sanded down in order for the paint to stick. As much as a pain in the ass it was, it still needed to be done. The Ford emblems needed to be sanded as well.

After the sanding was done, a shot of adhesion promoter & self etching primer followed up by a coat of sealer wich in turn filled any pitting caused by rock damage to give the base coat a flatter and smoother surface for the base coat to lay on.

Here's a few shots of the first coat minus the clearcoat.

So, that's as far as I got so far. I'll post more pictures once it's finished.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we (my buddy and I) got it back together no problem. It looks great.

Here's the front.....

And here's what the back looks like.....

It looks 10 times better in person. The only thing that sucks, is I can't wash it for a few days. The car was a little dirty before we started painting it. But the parts we painted were sanded down anyway.

I'm not 100% sure if I plan on keeping the Ford emblems all black or not. It does look pretty sweet like that. I may just take it to another buddy of mine and have him hand paint just the outline of the Ford and keep the raised part of the Ford black, but I still haven't decided yet. All in all, I'm VERY happy with the way it turned out. And considering I only payed for the price of the paint, I couldn't go wrong. I got a $500 plus paint job done for peanuts.

I do plan on getting more work done in the future.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a few more shots of the car after it's been hand washed. This bad boy looks mean as hell in person. I've only had it together for a day and I'm already getting, "Hey man, sweet car!"

Now I need to find a sweet set of black rims and the "Murdered out" Fusion is done. I decided to leave the Ford emblem just the way it is. I love the way it looks that way.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I like it alot, looks sweet. The black rims would just really set it off! Tint the headlamps now and it would be sick! Congrats on the new setup!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Instead of tinting the headlights, my buddy & I are buying another set. Then we're going to take them apart, and paint the upper chrome in the same high gloss black. I have another set of tail lights that we're going to do the same thing to.

I'll be sure to post those once we finish them. As far as getting some black rims, I already have a set picked out. I just need the money to buy them. I have way too many things going on right now that require money, so money is very tight.

After I do everything to it that I want too, I will rename the car "Murdered". After all, it will be fully murdered out. I already de-badged it, it's just begging to have a new name on the back.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm glad someone did this. I guess he was the Ginuea pig on this job. I'd have to say that I wouldn't do that. The ford emblems look a little wierd being covered up. On the trunk, I would have just gotten a se rear peice and on the front, I would have taped up the emblem.

I think I'll just leave mine alone. But congrats on the accomplishment.

·
Registered
359 Posts
that looks awesome. I wouldnt be able to do it myself but its tits dude... congrats.

What I do want to do is get some blacked out rims with just a spot of chrome around the edges to accent the rest of the chrome (since i cant do the grills myself)

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Wow, that does look pretty damn good! I think once you do the headlights, it'll look even better! I'd like to do something similar with my headlights, but to match the color of my car. The only thing that looks a little awkward in the pics is the Ford oval. It looks out of place both in the front and back because it doesn't appear to say anything. While the blacked out look is pretty awesome, I think if the ovals were left alone it'd look less out of place. Seeing those ovals makes me think "Is that supposed to be like that?"

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After doing some thinking, I'll be either airbrushing, or doing an outline pinstrip in a deep red or close to it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I decided to put some temp emblems on the car so it loooks a little uniformed. They seem do go well with the blackness on the car... But I'll let you be the judge.....

Front grille..

Bach bumper.....

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Honestly, I love the way that grille looks. I wish I had a buddy with paint skills, i'd do the same thing with mine. I wouldn't black everything out, but on my ride, I think a black grill would look damn good.

·
Registered
477 Posts
The one on the back seems perfect but the front seems too small. The one on the back looks really nice. I like it. Make the front look like that and you got your self a job well done.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's tough finging two of theose the same size. I had to buy two of the same. That's way the one in the front is a little smaller. If I can find I bigger one, It'll be on there. It does look better either way.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I like the look with the Ford logo, as opposed to w/o. If you can find a larger one for the front, you'll be set.

BTW, I also play bass, my main is a Fender Jazz w/ a Warmoth bound neck, rosewood fretboard w/pearl blocks, Fender Custom Shop '60's pickups. It looks better than I can play it, but I love groovin' w/ it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[quote author=Barchetta link=topic=77376.msg1430630#msg1430630 date=1179892637]
I like the look with the Ford logo, as opposed to w/o. If you can find a larger one for the front, you'll be set.

BTW, I also play bass, my main is a Fender Jazz w/ a Warmoth bound neck, rosewood fretboard w/pearl blocks, Fender Custom Shop '60's pickups. It looks better than I can play it, but I love groovin' w/ it.
[/quote]

Cool, a fellow bassplayer!! I have a custom built Stambaugh 4 string with another on the way.

Here's a couple pics..

And I completely agree with everyone on the Ford emblem making it look better. But it's just a quick fix until I get it pinstripped, or airbrushed.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.