FordFusionClub.com banner

How to: Led's in sidemarker

22K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  jonremi 
#1 ·
Ok first let me say thanks to Seasonalskier. If it wasn't for him I would have never thought of doing this mod.

To do this mod you will need an led strip.
The ones I used, I bought at Pepboys awhile ago but ebay has them too.

This is an led strip I got for another mod. it will look just like this but a lot shorter. And you can get any color you wish.
They come with 3M adhesive. So all's you have to do is peel and stick.

Start by busting open the sidemarkers. I suggest getting a spare set so you don't rush things. This only took me about an hour to do but I left them to cure overnight.
Aftermarket sidemarkers (clear/smoked) are way easier to work with.
Start by scoring around the perimeter of sidemarker. Then get a small flathead screwdriver and start pry it apart. I recommend starting on top and working your way down.

Once you have them separated clean it really good so the adhesive will stick without any problems but don't stick it on just yet.

Now we need to figure out how to connect them to the stock connectors.
I took apart the connector and solder the wires to the prongs.
To take it apart grab your screwdriver and push the prongs in. Then pull out.

Once they're out, solder the wire to each of the prongs. If you can, check to see which is the positive and which is the ground on both your car and the led strip.

Once you got them put together go and check they light up. If they don't you'll need to switch the prongs around.

When you get them to work grab the sidemarker and feed the led strip through and secure the connector in place.
Now you can stick the strip down on the sidemarker. Where you put it exactly is up to you.

Then you'll need to seal the markers back together. I used windshield silicone. The same stuff I used on my taillamps. It works great.

Clamp the sidemarkers together and leave them overnight.

Final results

See less See more
#3 ·
holy crap! that's soooo hawt!! :shock: i've got to do this! thanks Luis and Kenny, another summer project! haha!

so question, it's kind of hard to tell in the pics, but you removed the bulb, took apart the bulb harness, and soldered the leads from the led strip to the inside of the bulb harness?

#4 ·
Thanks guys. It was no problem at all. I'm a big fan of cheap mods.

JP, that's pretty much what I did. When you take out the bulb you'll see the prongs. You need to take them out to solder the wire leads. When you're finished with everything it should look like nothing was ever done to it. That way you only have to plug it back in.
Let me know if you need help with anything. That goes for everyone.

#11 ·
Definitely going to do this. I love making the exterior of the car look different in some way/shape/form. This simple mod will be sweet to do. I'm going to assume a Soldering Iron and the necessary supplies are needed yes?

#20 ·
Adam, for me it was plug in play. I don't have the flashing sidemarker mod. All's I had to do was plug it in and it worked.
I think you're thinking of the turn signals. You need resistors for those so they can flash. Maybe if you modded the sidemarkers you might need them too. I'll check later to see if they work or not.

#22 ·
Adam, I went out and rigged the flashing mod. With the lights off it will flash fine. However when the running lights are on it won't flash at all, it will just stay lit. I guess you will need a resistor in there.

Edit: I think I might have rigged it up wrong. I'm going to try again tomorrow and post my results

#23 ·
I have been looking at those lights on Ebay all the time trying to wonder what I could do with them. I never thought of this! Thanks for the great idea! That may be my very next project.

#26 ·
Just found the mod, didn't know it was stickied already! Looks great man!! How did you wire up your side marker mod, it sounds to me like they are ran to the signal bulb ground instead of the turn signal feed, which would in a sense just move where the light grounds and not actually change any functions of it at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.