FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Open the hood : Should look something close to this...

Release the 3 Clips holding on the top of the upper intake box, and unscrew the Flat head end on the intake hose. Unclip the MAF sensor.

Upper Box Removed:

Remove your air filter. The MAF cable will be attached to the lower box seen here:

Just pull back the cable from the box. Remove the lower half of the intake assembly. Attached is the intake silencer seen here:

With the complete box removed it should look something close to this:

My intake silencer was removed already prior to this write up. The silencer should pull right off the lower half of the box:

I then cut off some of the extra plastic on the lower half and smoothed out the area. Once pulled off please put everything back together the way it came off. Once complete the area should look something simalar to this, depending if you removed anything eles.

Once your finisehd please dont forget to reconnect the MAF:

Now your back to this:

Complete @ your own risk. Its been said that Ford cars are running lean already from the factory, and possibly increasing airflow but not fuel could make it worse.

Write up is a bit sloppy, sorry I was pressed for time, any questions feel free to PM me or just comment

~Jaysen

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Re: EDU: I4 Air Intake Silencer Delete

good write up now i do not have to do it this weekend I have taken that part off already but and also going to take the large canister that it attachest to then i am going to attach the tube again. The canister below that should be the air intake muffler (or silencer) that is just the tube that attaches it to the air box.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks. The actual silencer is the tube that is tapered and connect to the box itself. I didn't wish to pull out the lower box. The desired effect is achieved with just the single pipe removed. I am actually going to get the custom intake fitted today. Pics and thoughts sometime tonight.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=69403.msg1204700#msg1204700 date=1171386201]
Thanks. The actual silencer is the tube that is tapered and connect to the box itself. I didn't wish to pull out the lower box. The desired effect is achieved with just the single pipe removed. I am actually going to get the custom intake fitted today. Pics and thoughts sometime tonight.
[/quote]

Ya the only reason i am going to take out the canister is because i want to put the snorkle back on the air box so i get a little more air from the fender area and it will also be open on the bottom so drawn in air from below as well. Should work.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts

I did this mod over the summer and the heat messed with the performance. I ended up putting it back on.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=Chris06Fusion link=topic=69403.msg1205779#msg1205779 date=1171415022]
I did this mod over the summer and the heat messed with the performance. I ended up putting it back on.
[/quote]

That is why i was wanting to put the snorkle itself back on so that i will hopefully get cooler air from the fender.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Its done to give the engine a bit of extra sound. I can relate on the heat soak issue, but most days where heat is a problem. I have the toy out and about.

·
Registered
79 Posts

[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=69403.msg1204700#msg1204700 date=1171386201]
[/quote]

Thanks Jaysen

·
Registered
702 Posts

somewhat off subject, but on the top housing for th airbox, did anyone else notice a white almost hunny comb looking thing in there? if so any ideas what it is for? the only thing i can think of is to straighten the airflow, just an idea.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

No, it was not in my airbox. There was one on my stock mustang intake. I believe it was for a vapor lock issue or something.

·
Banned
60 Posts

Would this procedure work with the V6? Also, is it possible to put it back in case you need warranty work?

·
Registered
53 Posts

[quote author=mechanicboy18 link=topic=69403.msg1211445#msg1211445 date=1171619132]
somewhat off subject, but on the top housing for th airbox, did anyone else notice a white almost hunny comb looking thing in there? if so any ideas what it is for? the only thing i can think of is to straighten the airflow, just an idea.
[/quote]

its a hydrocarbon filter. it's for emissions. when you start your car, it kicks out hydrocarbons through the air intake. This helps keep some of those out of the air.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Wow, nice write up but that is waaay too much work just to remove the air silencer. All you have to to is take a flathead screwdriver and pry up the taps that connect the resonator to the airbox, then twist and move the silencer horn a bit and off she comes! 2 minute job max after you have done it once or twice.

·
Registered
702 Posts

[quote author=Metallicat link=topic=69403.msg1323362#msg1323362 date=1176172732]
Wow, nice write up but that is waaay too much work just to remove the air silencer. All you have to to is take a flathead screwdriver and pry up the taps that connect the resonator to the airbox, then twist and move the silencer horn a bit and off she comes! 2 minute job max after you have done it once or twice.
[/quote]

It's true, that's how I did it.

·
Banned
60 Posts

But to put it back, I assume it'd be a little messy.. I could be wrong. I'm pretty interested in trying this.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yes, I guess it could be done that way also. I am just trying to save my hands from being cut up in that small of a space.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts

[quote author=Jaysen link=topic=69403.msg1323932#msg1323932 date=1176197543]
Yes, I guess it could be done that way also. I am just trying to save my hands from being cut up in that small of a space.
[/quote]

same here and the long way only takes 5 mins tops. Since the air box does not bolt down it is easy to pop out

1 - 20 of 71 Posts