FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I was baking open my headlights I thought I would try to snap as many photos as possible and do a small write-up for you all. This is my first time ever doing this but since I got it open with these methods I'll pass them on to you. As of (4/4/11) I have only baked one headlight so if things change or I find a quicker way to open the second headlight I will update this thread.

Heat Temperatures (2nd Try, 4/6/11)

215 Degrees - 20 Minutes
265 Degrees - 10 Minutes (Three Times)
215 Degrees - 20 Minutes
265 Degrees - 10 Minutes
215 Degrees - 20 Minutes (Till you open it, took an additional three times)

Suggested Heat/Time
265 Degrees - 10 Minutes until the top portion is open down to the side where the mounting brackets are located.
215 Degrees - 20 Minutes for the bottom portion until it's completely open.

The reason for the odd temp/time changes was more to experiment with what worked. I found that when opening the top corner portion of the light it is easier to pry apart at the 265 degree mark for 8-9 Minutes. Once I get to the bottom portion it would stick with the lower temp/longer time. Stick to the 20 minute mark in that case, I found a big difference between heating it at 15 minutes and 20 minutes.

Tool wise, I prefer using a puddy knife for the top portion and eventually using a flathead screwdriver for the bottom portion.

Tools I used: (Not pictured - Needle Nose Pliers)

1. First things first, get the oven preheated to 250-275 degrees.

Prepare the light for the oven. Remove as much as possible (especially metal).
Twist out your "low" bulb.

Remove bulb from socket by pulling out the tabs on each side gently.

Next, remove your "high-beam" bulb. Slightly loosen both screws just enough that you can twist the bulb assembly to the left which will free it.

Once it's free, follow the steps I show in the picture below. 1st, pry the two tabs enough so they aren't locked. 2nd, pull up on the two tabs (2.) by wiggling them back and forth. That should eventually disconnect the bulb from connection.

At this point in time everything should be disconnected - Now tape up any open holes.

I didn't realize this the first time I put it in the oven, but remove the FOUR staples show below. Grab a needle nose pliers and pull straight out.

This isn't something that you have to do but I found it easier to pry open the light with this "bar" loose.
On each side, there are two slots or tabs that I disconnected to allow easier prying.

On the one side, all you have to do is pull the long piece (extending right to left in the picture) upwards. With a little force it should come loose.

The other side is a little bit more difficult because it involves pulling up and wiggling the two tabs free.

See above for updated temp/time changes
Now your light is ready to go in the oven! Everyone does it different, I just put mine on a large pizza pan with no aluminum foil the first time. However, I would suggest putting something down and even a wet towel to help prevent the back housing from melting. (I made that mistake when I baked it at 300 degrees and put nothing under it :lol: ) From my research some people may only have to put it in the oven a couple times whereas people like me literally take 8-10 trips. The first few trips I left the light in for 8 minutes (temp 250-275).

See post #2 for more housing pictures

Anyways, once the light is warm enough, remove it and get to prying. What I found easiest was prying the upper corner of the light and working my way down. DO NOT try and force the light open at this point. It will take a few trips to the oven because that seal will eventually cool down. Once you can get your fingers in between the lens and housing try to carefully pry the two apart. If there isn't any give try prying it apart with your tool(s) or put it back into the oven.

To the left of the puddy knife you can see a thin black and clear "trim" along the clear lens. That's the glue/seal so try your best to get that separated before prying it apart.

The two pictures above are showing where the tabs are located on the headlight. Try prying around these until you get enough lift between the lens and housing. Then use the tabs to your advantage for more leverage.

Once that top portion is done down to the bottom portion I decided to try a different method as the high temp/short time didn't work as well. At this point in time put the oven temp down around the 200-215 degree mark and let the light sit in there for 15-20 minutes. I personally did it for 20 but you may not need to depending on how much is still stuck together. After I changed the temp/time it literally took me two minutes of prying to get the bottom portion apart. The reason I think the bottom was so difficult was due to the placement of the seal/glue. The top part is easy to access the seal as it's visible between the black housing and the lens. Once I got to the bottom the seal was on the inside portion of the lens so be careful.

There you have it, your headlight is apart!

I will update this down the road when I finish my retrofit and reseal the lights back up (4/4/11).

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you want a better idea of what the lens and housing look like at the corner, that's what these pictures are for.

Housing:

Lens

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[quote author=Shansen120 link=topic=188842.msg3983572#msg3983572 date=1301937313]
Thank you for the wright up! :cheers:

Very nice and i cant wait to see this go through the process and when its competed :popcorn:

Good luck![/quote]
Yeah no problem. :) I'm sure you really meant to type write instead of wright ;)

[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=188842.msg3983580#msg3983580 date=1301937764]
Sounds easy enough. But I do have a question for you that you might want to try to do on your second. Do you think that if you kept the oven at the 200-215 mark for 15-20 mins the top would come off easier as well?
[/quote]

That's what I plan on trying out the second time around. I figured if it came off as easy as it did then it should be the same for the top part. Originally I started around the 225 mark and found it to be more frustrating so I turned it up a bit (as high as 300 degrees). A few other write-ups that I saw started off at a higher temperature and turned the heat down as well.

After my second light is open I'll compare the two results as best as I can.

·
Registered
13,371 Posts
Thank you! :p

[quote author=BlackFusion07 link=topic=188842.msg3983585#msg3983585 date=1301938058]
[quote author=Shansen120 link=topic=188842.msg3983572#msg3983572 date=1301937313]

Very nice and i cant wait to see this go through the process and when its competed :popcorn:

Good luck![/quote]
Yeah no problem. :) I'm sure you really meant to type write instead of wright ;)
[/quote]
Nope, he thinks you are a Wright brother. Since your just so fly :lmao: (I love drinking at 1:30)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[quote author=Seasonalskier link=topic=188842.msg3983592#msg3983592 date=1301938283]
Thank you! :p

[quote author=BlackFusion07 link=topic=188842.msg3983585#msg3983585 date=1301938058]

Good luck![/quote]
[/quote]
Nope, he thinks you are a Wright brother. Since your just so fly :lmao: (I love drinking at 1:30)
[/quote]

I'll do my best to get a little more in depth with the pictures. Glad I didn't do both at the same time for the "How-To"'s sake. Found quite a few more things to take pictures of.

And damn you! My B-day is tomorrow so that would be an ideal thing to do...to bad I'll be at work. :(

[quote author=Shansen120 link=topic=188842.msg3983596#msg3983596 date=1301938392]
Thank you grammar police ;)

[/quote]

Sorry, it made me chuckle so I had to make note of it. I'm not one to talk about grammar as I'm terrible enough as it is. :lol:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wednesday I'll be doing the retrofit test fitting along with baking the second headlight so keep an eye out for a much more in-depth How-To!

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After opening up two other headlights (1st & 2nd gen) I can say using a Dremel to open them is 100x easier unless you have the TYC headlights (2006).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts