FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exactly as the title states: How much have your Modifications helped your I4 fusion? Do you have any numbers? Good guesses as to how much you think your mods helped and which ones helped most.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Not much, altho its not meant for me to beat the crap out of it, its a daily driver, thats actually fun to drive. However I have been talking to Larry @ Steeda about putting the spray from the mustang and putting it on the Fusion (Dry 50 shot) Just for kicks and strapping it to the dyno.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So far I've added the K&N filter and the Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. With these mods and by the "seat of the pants" feel, maybe a little more power. Bottom end is still slow and sluggish, however once the rpms are up in the power range of the I4 engine, it runs pretty strong for what it is.

I ordered the XC2 Bamachip programs today from Jusnes Modified. Hopefully with the custom tunes, there will be some more power unlocked from the I4.

To make more significant power out of this engine, a good CAI with a larger MAF, larger TB, and some headers would be a plus. Underdrive pulleys would defintely be on my list when they are made for the Fusion application on the 2.3 I4. I'm not sure about the ones for the Focus 2.3 engine on the Fusion. Now, forget the formentioned mods and if a supercharger was made to fit the 2.3 I4 in the Fusion, then that would be the best $$$$ spent on making more power.

I'll keep you informed as I mod and update my Fusion. By the way, my last vehicle was an '02 HD F150 and was heavily modified. It can be addictive! I'm trying not to on this car, just modifying it tastefully to be a nice running 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No mods. None needed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did the throttle body ground. No increase in power, but the throttle response is a big improvement! More linear acceleration. RPM comes up smoother and faster. Cheap and easy mod

·
Registered
833 Posts
Details please! Thank you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used 10 gauge wire. All you need is some round terminal connectors, wire cutters and crimper. Just connect one end to one of the mounting bolts on the throttle body. (Be sure not to overtighten the bolt) Route the other end to the negative battery terminal. Cheap and easy. About $5 to $7. There are pics on the Mazda 3 boards. We both use the same engine and throttle by wire system

G

·
WTF does that do. Your just grounding out the throttle body? Since when would the throttle body ever carry any kind of charge?

I'm sorry, but I'm an electrician, somehow this just isn't make sense.

·
Registered
47 Posts
the man said look it up
moving air creates static electricity thusly interfearing with the fly by wire throttle body
Did i get it right? I read that forum 3 months ago, i think im gunna give it a go as well, see for myself

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well as an electrician you should be familiar with the term "floating ground". The throttle by wire system uses a step motor to open and close the throttle plate. The system Ford used does not directly ground that motor to the chassis. By creating that direct ground, the step motor operates more effectively. This is actually a mod that has been sold by MazdaSpeed as part as a grounding package called an earthing package. This grounds not only the throttle body, but several other components also. Do some research on it. That's what I did

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now I know what you are talking about.

I'm waiting on my custom tunes from Jusnes Modified with their Bamachip XC2. I believe with SCT, Bob has been able to address that with info learned from tuning the Mustangs and applied it to the Fusions. You're correct in that it doesn't add more power, but it sure does bring on what power you have faster. Quicker throttle response!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to try that TB ground. I have wire laying around and i bet my dad has some connectors in his shop. I have the auto so I think it won't help me as much but it's gonna be free or super cheap to try.

I had an idea. On my brothers 92 F150 with the 4.9l I6 manual he would always disconnect a vacuum line to the valve that forced air into the exhaust, obviously an emissions component. He'd plug the vacuum line to prevent a vacuum leak. The amazing thing is you could actually feel the difference while driving it! It would trip the check engine like but that was all. So I did it on my fusion and just drove around the block, haven't notice much yet but no check engine like either.

On my fusion the only mods so far are drop in K&N, intake silencer delete, hydrocarbon filter delete, ford TSB computer reflash(if that even counts as a mod), and the newly disconnected air injection.
Now what I've noticed from when I first got the fusion and now(except the latter most mod) is a little more power, better sound, and most notably is it shift pattern. It used to shift from 2nd to 3rd at exactly 60mph (had 1000 or so miles on it), and from 3rd to 4th at 84-close to 85. Added the K&N at about 1500 miles and it would shift about 61mph, and 3rd to 4th at a solid 85mph. Now, two days ago my dad tried passing me(private road) in his 01' f150 with the 5.4 when I was going 54 about so I mashed it. I shifted at almost 64mph 2-3 and 90mph 3-4!! The transmission was actually bringing the engine up to redline!!. I think it must be a combo of things that helped things because I'm at 9000miles now so it's loosened up, the computer reprogram might have helped because I haven't driven it hard since then, plus the intake mods. So I'm so much happier now! One huge reason I wanted to get the SCT tuner was to change the shift points, but now they seem great! I didn't take the fusion to the top speed limiter but i did keep up with him the entire time and actually passed him(he hit is speed limiter). I only have the I4 auto and didn't think It would keep up with his truck. 0-60 for my car is only supposed to be like 9.3, and aren't those truck in the high 7's?

One last thing, how fast, in top speed, do you think the i4 fusion is capable of? over 125?

·
Registered
47 Posts
iv come up on 190km very easily with the 87 octane tune, i think 120miles is 200km but anyways on a day that the 401 is clear enough i will prove that the needle should have been higher than 120. Then maybe after that a gps would do the charm on top speed.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Actually 200km is 124MPH! 190km is 117.8mph. Is that the torque or performance tune? Also you have the manual or the auto? Either way what RPM are you shifting at? Did you change your rev limiter? Even with my improved shift pattern I still can't help but think about how much the tuner would help. What is you synopsis of the tuner? I have the SE tires that are only rated to 118MPH so I would have to set my limiter to that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
since you got the calculator out i will believe you and the translation. Its just on the 87 perf tune since the gas price is 1.03 a liter right now. The rev limiter is raised but iv never taken it more than 6500. My shift points vary of city driving, if im in a hurry or not yotta yotta. When i do a high speed run i dont even downshift i just let it go and go and go

·
Registered
610 Posts
Bob's (JusnesModified) Torque Tune (91 octane) is simply AMAZING and still delivers 26+ mpg combined city and high speed hwy driving. My car explodes in 1st gear btwn 3000-4000 rpm and you had better be watching your tach with the manual because it is still rocking at 7000 rpm. I've punched it past 7k several times in first gear, but in truth it makes enough power to shift at 5500 rpm or less through all gears. It makes the 4 cylinder manual more fun than any car I have ever driven (I've mostly owned V8 automatics up until my Fusion and I hate auto transmissions). I figure I am paying an additional $7 per week to run premium fuel @ 450 miles per week but it is well worth it to me. If I ever wanted to, I could go back to the 87 octane tune. My fuel economy is the same as when my car was stock, but I have sooooo much more power on tap!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good news there Metallicat! I'm waiting on my XC2 with my custom programs from Bob. I ordered it on 4/30 and so I should be getting mine soon. I've been running 91 octane for the past two tanks in preparation and with the minor mods I've added, this I4 runs pretty good as is. Can't wait though to feel how it's going to run with the custom tuning though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
CrazyaboutFusion, I think you'll really enjoy the tunes. I can't believe how much performance Ford left on the table even compared to Bob's "87 performance" tune. There is a huge difference between stock and the 87 performance tune, not as great of a difference between the 87 and 91 performance tunes, but quite a big difference between both performance tunes and the 91 torque tune. Torque tune = best overall performance with stock mpg. 87 and 91 erformance tunes = slightly better mpg than stock with much better performance but less low end and mid-range performance compared to the torque tune. All tunes = huge improvement over stock.

[quote author=crazyaboutFusion link=topic=76281.msg1407944#msg1407944 date=1179132640]
Good news there Metallicat! I'm waiting on my XC2 with my custom programs from Bob. I ordered it on 4/30 and so I should be getting mine soon. I've been running 91 octane for the past two tanks in preparation and with the minor mods I've added, this I4 runs pretty good as is. Can't wait though to feel how it's going to run with the custom tuning though.
[/quote]

1 - 20 of 32 Posts