FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this Fusion for about three months now, and during that time I have driven it over 100 MPH several times a week. There's not much traffic at 5:00 A.M. on the interstate.

So to my question:

How much can this I4 take, is it a proven engine design?

G

·
No comment.

I just don't think the 2.3 L Duratech Engine is made to do over 100 mph all that much, or at least it isn't designed to sustain those high rpm's forever.

You keep doing that, and let us know if it blows up.

Good luck.

LOL....im such a smartass.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The engine should be fine, just make sure you use good oil. The factory limiters will keep you within the engines safe range, but the biggest issue for you is the speed rating on your tires. With the 4 cylinder, you may not have that high rated tires. Many people dont think the speed ratings matter, but if you go above the speed rating, you risk having the tire just fall apart.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That engine is made to rev for the most part. It's the same engine used in the Mazdaspeed 3. I'm not sure what pieces are upgraded in the Mazdaspeed though.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
The motor is not really all that bad. It makes it power up top obviously. I had the same design motor in a Ranger awhile back (2.3 Duratec) We even had a 75 shot of nitrous on it for awhile (for kicks). It was sprayed countless times without issue. As Bill said, its the "same" engine in the speed3 with alot of changes. I wouldn't recommend adding boost to the powder metal rods tho.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the practical advise on the tires, I believe that they are TR rated for something like 118 MPH. Which is about right, because the speed limiter kicked in at just a touch under that. I think that's probably pushing their physical limits.

BTW - This was on an open stretch of straight, flat highway with no other cars in sight. Please don't try this if there are any other vehicles on the road anywhere in sight, in either direction. It can take some time to (safely) slow down from these speeds.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I agree, the 2.3 Duratec is a great 4cyl engine designed by Mazda. I would worry more about tire ratings/size ect.. The limiter on the engine will keep you from hurting the engine. Just keep good maintenance and you should be fine.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You should be more worried about the rest of the car not being able to handle the speed. The brakes on this car are only adequate at 55mph, stock tires suck, and the ride is a little bouncy. All not good for high speeds.

·
Registered
799 Posts
To make sure your brakes stay in good working order I'd recommend doing what every major motorcycle (and some car) company recommends - bleeding your brakes every 1-3 yrs and use DOT4. I bleed my car every 2-3 yrs and my bikes every year.

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=Showtime link=topic=65530.msg1125204#msg1125204 date=1167432347]
You should be more worried about the rest of the car not being able to handle the speed. The brakes on this car are only adequate at 55mph, stock tires suck, and the ride is a little bouncy. All not good for high speeds.
[/quote] I beg to differ, Beleave this, Ford Motor Company will not set the rev & speed limiters beyond the capabilities of the hardware. The don't release to the public brakes that are inadequate for speeds that people can drive leagally. There are to many lazy ass sue happy people who instead of tring to work for a living try to milk the system. Last time I checked most of the western U.S. still has 75 MPH speed limits. That being said I would "prefer" a bigger Brake & Rotor combo to shorten my stopping distance!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
[quote author=Showtime link=topic=65530.msg1125204#msg1125204 date=1167432347]
[/quote]

Your kidding right? "Crappy brakes, sucky tires and bouncy ride", this does not describe the '07 Fusion I'm driving. The Fusion I drive handles just fine above 100+, my only question was the durability, longevity and the lineage (if any) of the engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I think showtime is japenese bill. He reminds me of a college kid with alot of theory and no practicle knowledge. On another thread he suggested rather then want a 3.0 standard shift fusion, that I should settle for a mazda.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I own an SEL V6 with all the goodies.. I can easily confirm this car handles 100MPH with ease and confidence... Only did it once and the car was smooth. The conditions I did this in were..
1. no other vehicles around
2. dry clear pavement
3. dry clear day

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree with Showtime's opinion of the Fusion's high speed handling. You may feel ok on nice, smooth, straight roads, but it's just not as planted as I would like. Also, the shocks aren't damped nearly enough to handle bumps and imperfections in the road at those speeds, which causes the car to feel "bouncy" on anything but perfectly smooth roads.

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=Showtime link=topic=65530.msg1134546#msg1134546 date=1168018577]
^ So why are SUVs capable of 100+ MPH?
[/quote] Why shouldn't they be capable of 100+?

·
Registered
421 Posts
[quote author=hwm3 link=topic=65530.msg1136889#msg1136889 date=1168149608]
I agree with Showtime's opinion of the Fusion's high speed handling. You may feel ok on nice, smooth, straight roads, but it's just not as planted as I would like. Also, the shocks aren't damped nearly enough to handle bumps and imperfections in the road at those speeds, which causes the car to feel "bouncy" on anything but perfectly smooth roads.

[/quote] I think both you and showtime both are overly criticle of OEM equipment, as if you have a bias. I've had no problem with my fusion at high speed but, stock vehicles of all makes & models are not designed for much more than normal operation. Thank god speedfreaks like us have the benifit of aftermarket parts. A good set of coil overs can improve our cars stance and performance! Rather than critisize a bad ass car tell us Where to buy Good aftermarket parts! Simply, put up or shut up!

·
Registered
509 Posts
[quote author=furious1auto link=topic=65530.msg1136909#msg1136909 date=1168150945]
Simply, put up or shut up!
[/quote]

That's pretty funny coming from you. :lol:

Anyway, if your really interested in improving the handling here's where you should go.

Coils and swaybars:
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=122&osCsid=eac1461b6ed521d54ca402a0437d92bc

Shocks
Front:
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=64&osCsid=eac1461b6ed521d54ca402a0437d92bc

Rear:
http://www.therpmstore.com/product_info.php?cPath=26&products_id=65&osCsid=eac1461b6ed521d54ca402a0437d92bc

Any other questions?

·
Registered
421 Posts
these are all mazda 6 parts. I knew that the drivetrain was all the same as a mazda6 but, are all the suspension parts interchangable! I've bout alot of standard parts at the autoparts store that don't fit. All you have to do is take them back and exchange. I don't wan't to go through that over through the mail. Are you sure they'll fit? do you have them on your fusion? And if they do will a aftermarket brake upgrade from a mazda6 fit on a fusion?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts