FordFusionClub.com banner

HOW FAST ARE THESE THINGS ???

6K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  swoop1156 
#1 ·
Wow, I was on the f'way with my V6 SEL, yesterday (40 degrees), I decided to stand on the pedal... Before I knew it I was at 100 :shock:, with room to go, AWESOME CAR!!!      So I cleaned it when I got home... 8)

#2 ·
I topped mine out at 115 before I let off. I didn't want to go any faster with out tires/suspension that are safe at that speed. I'm not impressed with the stock tires and the suspension is a little floaty. The fastest I've gone in a road car is my SHO which topped out at 144. My Mustang is capable of going faster than that but the brakes suck and suspension/steering feel is horrible. I don't feel safe in that thing over 70. With a little work, I think a Fusion could be just as stable/safe as my SHO.

Just remember, speed doesn't kill, stupidity does. If you're going to hit high speeds, make sure the car can handle it. Keep it to flat, open back roads or empty highways.

#5 ·
I have mine at 115-117 on video, had to let off. Wondered when the governor was going to engage.

#6 ·
Was running the interstate yesterday, post rush hour and things were moving pretty well. Shadowed an Infinity of some kind (they all look alike) in the fast lane. Quiet, smooth, very little wind noise. When I glanced at the speedo I was doing 95. Had no idea.

And thats with the I-4 5 speed. No doubt the I-4 will get to the 115 range or better, since the power build very progressively with the rpm.

If anyone tops one out, let us know.

Now whats this about a governor? :D :klavergreg:

#9 ·
According to discount they are VR rated with a 300AA tread wear/traction.

So they are good to what, 149mph?

I'm thinking ford wanted a slight margin (worn, or old tires), and its possible as Showtime mentioned that the suspension isn't really solid at high speeds. I noticed mine got a little bit floaty at high speeds too (bellow 100) , but I was only going fast for a few seconds.

Might be fun to take it to a nice "safe" race track and get a feel for it at higher speeds.

#12 ·
Yeah the stock 16 206 are horrible for handling... I cant wait to test my car out once my new 235/40R18 comes in :) Pirelli P Zero NERO.

I will post a review as well..hehe

I did a G-tech Pro on my fusion I4 5spd, and did a 0-100KM run (Canada) at 8.3 secs with lots of wheel spin. I hope to improve with my new rollers.

#14 ·
I JUST TOPED OUT MY I-4 5 SPEED.... 115mph... IT REALLY FELT LIKE IT COULD GO MORE BUT WHEN THE GONVERNOR KICKED IN IT JUST BOGED DOWN.... WELL I GUESS THOSE 16's ARE NOT CUT OUT FOR TOP END LOL...

#15 ·
So wait a sec? What is the approx. Speed that ford set the speed limiter on this car?? (WITHOUT any chips or stuff added on)

For the longest time i have always thought that ford set the car at 105 on the dot. According to car and driver that is the top speed..

The five hundred is set at 110 and the f-150 is set at 105..

Also how does the fusion ride at the max. speed?

Also what is it like when the car is maxed out and will not go any faster, does it start to die or what?

#16 ·
I am sure that I will get bashed for this, but what is the point of driving your vehicle at its max speed on a public road?

If it's at the track, then go for it.

And an empty highway, in the middle of the night, with nobody around is still a public road.

I just don't understand people's desire to do stupid things....

#18 ·
Guys: I believe these engines are set up fairly tight. You might want to wait till at least 10,000 miles before you really build a fire in it. I am pretty sure the engine computer does more than control peripheral sensors. So, if you black death a few pistons and run it in under warranty, the dealer will be able to figure it out. :shock:

#19 ·
Well they did say break in was like 1500 miles! :)

They did say vary your speed! :)

I'm not driving it hard, but it is alot of fun to drive, and its hard not to get up and go sometimes.

I took it to 6000 twice now (its not something I do in a normal course of events mind you).

I don't drive really fast though. Infact for the first 500 miles most of my driving was below the speed limit.

Lately I'm driving at (er .. or um .. near :bigsmile: ) the speed limit.

Most accelerations I keep it below 3200.

#20 ·
OK since we are talking about speed I have question for the manual tranny people.

When I accelerate quickly or basically spin the front tires. Like in the snow, the front tires buck or slam like a motor mount is bad/lose. I do not have a good way to describe it since it does not happens often. It would also happen in my Focus periodically too, but not as bad so I am assuming that is just nothing.

So far it has only happened either in the snow when the tires break lose or when make a turn from a stop and the tires break lode from the salt and debris on the road.

#21 ·
Let me take a stab at it. I doubt that these cars have a type of posi-track or limited slip, since they are front wheel drive. As with any differential on uneven or slippery traction surfaces, the tendency for one tire to spin and the other one to stop is great. To compound this issue, we are trying to steer the vehicle at the same time. I am sure you are aware of all the different steering angles in the front end (AKA, Caster, Camber negative and positive, toe out on turns, etc). When one turns the steering wheel the tires will have uneven pressure on the treads. At some point the other tire that is not spinning has to catch up with the other tire that is spinning. I believe is where your issue is occurring. This point could be causing a bit of wheel hop or even winding the whole power train up inside its suspension mounts.
The rear wheel drive cars used to do a lot of wheel hop under extreme power and torque
conditions.
Just a Hypothesis.
:nag:

#24 ·
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=40774.msg607450#msg607450 date=1141733711]

And an empty highway, in the middle of the night, with nobody around is still a public road.

I just don't understand people's desire to do stupid things....
[/quote]I do it all the time.

#26 ·
I still haven't hit the governor/limiter, and now that I have my tuning done -- I don't know if it's still there or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.