FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
the engine was replaced and im just trying to see if there is a way to tell which one i have....or even if its a 2.0 for that matter..
Hi BelowRadar. Was your engine replaced by Ford under warranty? If yes, then it would be the same engine as originally equipped, and there should be a sticker in the engine compartment. If you can not find the sticker, then stop by the Service Departments of your local Ford Dealer and ask them. Have your VIN handy. They can print up an OASIS report with all the vehicle information.

The SE came with the 2.5L I-4 (auto trans) as standard equipment.

Optional engines were:
- The 1.5L I-4 EcoBoost (auto trans)
- The 1.6L I-4 EcoBoost (manual trans)
- The 2.0L I-4 EcoBoost (auto trans)

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks for the reply....car is not driveable as of now.

it was replaced under an insurance claim and the body shop even said they put in a "bigger" engine....so i said that was okay. the paperwork doesnt list the exact details from the engine shop.

so i guess im going to assume its the 2.5L i-4 turbo. auto trans.

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
Use the Ford VIN decoder to be sure. https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/dam/aem_fleet/en_us/fleet/vin-guides/VIN2014.pdf

VIN position 8 is engine.
2.5 (non turbo) is probably 7
1.5 is D
1.6 is R or X
2.0 is 9

But... from the factory:
If you have ecoboost badge or know it is a GTDI turbo Ecoboost engine:
1.6 is manual transmission only.
1.5 is automatic transmission (and single round tailpipe)
2.0 has dual oval in rear bumper cutouts exhaust

·
Registered
2012 Fusion Sport AWD
169 Posts
As far as identifying what engine they actually installed (and if not running, and not the correct one) visually there are clues but some are more subtle than others depending on the year of the engine. Any engineering numbers, valve cover on the 2.0 usually shows 2.0, etc.

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
ok thanks for the reply....car is not driveable as of now.

it was replaced under an insurance claim and the body shop even said they put in a "bigger" engine....so i said that was okay. the paperwork doesnt list the exact details from the engine shop.

so i guess im going to assume its the 2.5L i-4 turbo. auto trans.
Hi BelowRadar. Just as an FYI: The base 2.5L I-4 engine is not turbocharged.

The 3 optional EcoBoost engines are.

Not sure why the insurance company replaced the engine with anything other than the factory equipped one. They should not have done that.
And since they did, they certainly should have noted what was installed in the paperwork. So it would appear they did at least two things wrong with your insurance claim.

For all you and we know, your car may have come with one of the the optional/more powerful turbocharged (but smaller displacement) EcoBoost engines, and they may have replaced it with the "larger", but less expensive and less powerful, 2.5L I-4.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts