FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that is used in the Ranger to be put in the Fusion/Milan? Why can't Ford bump the power to a class leading 175-180HP?? and offer about 170ft/lbs of torque??

·
Registered
20 Posts
[quote author=Scape2 link=topic=76703.msg1388099#msg1388099 date=1178410420]
that is used in the Ranger to be put in the Fusion/Milan? Why can't Ford bump the power to a class leading 175-180HP?? and offer about 170ft/lbs of torque??
[/quote]

thats not really class leading anymore. The altima 2.5 i-4 already produces 175hp and 180 ft/lbs of torque. I think Honda builds a 4 cyl in the tsx that produces 200 hp (not as much torque?)
Ford should use a 2.5 ltr design together with variable this and that and at least produce 190 hp with no less than 190 lb/ft of torque. They are completely capable of this. Although the R&D and production cost would really change the cost of the vehicle in which it is sold.

I'm wondering why Ford is still using decades old engine designs like the twin -cam duratec 3.0. Yeah I love my fusion and its a smooth engine, but nissan and toyota have really upped the game with their quad cam smoothies. both of those use variable valve timing and produce over 260 hp with nissan able to pump out almost 300hp in theirs. I've driven both of the cars (altima and camry) and the power available in the lower rpms is just amazing. granted I've not driven an MKZ or anything with the "new" 3.5 engine so I guess I'll shut up... :wtcslap:

·
Registered
613 Posts
There are a lot of rumors about the 2.5 i4 Duratec powering a Fusion in the 2009 models. Its supposed to part of a move to the new injection system across the board, something we don't have right now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
duratec 30

The duratec 30 in the fusion is Quad cam with variable valve timing. DOHC means 2 cams for each bank of cylinders. So the 3.0 is relatively competitive to the 3.5s in the the toyota and nissan that are tuned for premium but not absolutely. Honda does make a 3.0 with 244 hp but they make engines better than pretty much everyone but BMW. Saying that, i wish the fusion had more power from the new ford 3.5

·
Registered
20 Posts
[quote author=xlover link=topic=76703.msg1397722#msg1397722 date=1178731950]
The duratec 30 in the fusion is Quad cam with variable valve timing. DOHC means 2 cams for each bank of cylinders.
[/quote]

should have done more research before going on a rant sorry...I feel like a complete idiot :oops:
admittedly I know very little about 6 cyl engines, all my previous vehicles were 4-cyls
except my last, a 04 f-150 4.6 v8. I promise I make a better architect than mechanic...haha "what, there's a toilet just inside my front door?!!" :shock:

anyway, I'm not saying that the fusion's engine isn't competitive. I just think it lacks that sporting soul that the altima has. nothing 20 odd hp wouldn't cure, but also it needs that low end grunt. I honestly like this car because of what I can see for it in the future. It has a great concept and "near" perfect execution. I'm proud to be an owner of one of these vehicles and eager to see where ford takes it next...

·
Registered
799 Posts
The Fusion's 2.3 power output is on par with the base 4 banger in the Accord and Camry. Considering the excellent price of my Fusion I'm not unhappy with it's 160 HP. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts