FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

so in that image, you see where tube is going down into the intake? what is that? is it removable? because i don't see it on any of the other 2.3l duratecs on other cars. i just bought the steeda cai for my car, and im gonna be installing it sunday, but im tempted to remove that whole unit with the air silencer on the side, and just go straight through, im also tempted to change out that one for a 67mm throttle body for a 2.3l duratec (focus, but its the same damn engine.)

suggestions, discuss.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the accordian shaped rubber piece in between the throttle body and the intake. theirs a small tube attached to the top of it with a white retention chip.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so to respond to my own post. and a few other things that you people may like to know.

that tube on the top of the accordian style intake peice is an egr re-circulation tube, basically it cycles pumpes exhaust gas back into the intake to reburn it. an enviromentally save earth friendly thing.

but, with this the air thats coming into the throttle body is getting heated back up... sounds dumb huh.

also, theirs two connectors on our throttle body that have the radiator, pump woulderfully warmed coolant through it to keep it warm..... this also causes the air to get warmed MUCH more then you would love it to. assuming everything is in effect the way i say, the air even after a cold air intake is still well over 180 deg F... yeah, thats coming into your engine...

i suppose bypassing off that ERG line, and just connecting the coolant tubes w/ a male male connector would HIGHLY cool down the air coming into the engine.

but, if all this is done, the car WILL need a tune since the air change is so drastic, the car will probably throw up an engine code and make the car run way leaner then it already is.

so, with all this, I'm going to have some fun doing some "real" modding per say. ill throw out my results after this weekend on how things went. If one of the guys from steeda could take a look at my post, i'd love to have any input on a maybe getting a tune done for my car, that will allow me to do the modifications i speak of.

also, im excited that im getting my CIA this weekend. i think im gonna be ordering that TB spacer soon as well. since the spacing alone from that thing will help a great deal with the CIA, and the removal of those nasty air warmer components!

-phew long post.

-benit0

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
meh, i wouldn't actually cut it. but i am gonna try bypassing it for a bit to see how it works.

won't do any damage since i can just plug it back in ;D

·
Registered
17,662 Posts
[quote author=benit0 link=topic=84992.msg1604997#msg1604997 date=1186014458]
meh, i wouldn't actually cut it. but i am gonna try bypassing it for a bit to see how it works.

won't do any damage since i can just plug it back in ;D
[/quote]

I didn't mean actually cutting it :)

Good luck, report back. Hope it doesn't throw a code.

·
Registered
702 Posts
It will throw a code, tried to by disconnecting the vacuum line to the egr valve and plugging it.
Also know that the coolant going through the throttle body is supposed to help keep the throttle from sticking or something like that and many people have bypassed that over in the mazda forums and as far as I know it doesn't cause any ill affects to the computer.
Not to bust your bubble but these are not hardcore mods like you may think. One word to the wise, if you disconnect the egr valve, and this causes the catalytic coverter to drop in temperature you should know that it could cause the cat to slowly plug which would cause your car to run like crap, not pass smog, get terrible fuel economy, and what you might care about most, drain your performance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm thanks for the heads up. i'm luckily having a ford cert professional mechanic helping me out (my brother in law) so, anything that gets done to my car, ill only do, or attempt if it passes through him. I have been looking on the mazda forms for a lot of insight since our cars engine makeup for the 2.3L are pretty much identical. But yeah, the bypass on the coolant shouldn't have much of an effect on the actual performance / workings of the throttle body. I know a lot of people on the mazdas do it, and my best friend did it on his 98 sho. we did it to his car almost 6 years ago, and its still running fine.

but yeah, ill keep up the insight on that ERG valve to mind.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That tube is not EGR. EGR is very hot and would melt the hose and fitting. If you trace the hose you will probable find it goes to a fitting on the back of the valve cover. Basically this a PCV type hose and it provides a helpful vacuum to the crankcase (Reduces 'windage' losses) and is also part of the emissions system. You can put a little 'breather' filter (AZ - $10) on the valve cover side of the hose, but you will have to plug the hole in the intake or you'll be sucking in unfiltered air on the inboard side of the MAF. (Both bad...)l

·
Registered
61 Posts
He's right about it being for the crankcase system and it also doubles as the vacuum line for the brake booster. I wish I could post up the picture in the Ford parts catalog so you could see it better but that hose is all one assembly! So if you mess with it you will probably find out that your brakes wont be so great and you will have a nice sucking sound every time you hit the brakes. that white plastic thing in the middle is what ties all those hoses together!

*EDIT* Just so you know the basic part number for that hose assembly is a 9C490 and Ford calls it a manifold for the vaccuum supply!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts