FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody put a hitch on their Fusion/Milan yet? I see that there are a few available, but the manual says not to tow with the car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=54462.msg895915#msg895915 date=1155867360]
Has anybody put a hitch on their Fusion/Milan yet? I see that there are a few available, but the manual says not to tow with the car.
[/quote]

I installed one on my Zephyr. I haul a small utility trailer for garden stuff. I once hauled a king size bed, but I did notice the gas mileage drop. The book does say no, but I understand that anything under 2000 is all right. Of course, I have the V6 and that may be different than your application.

·
Registered
477 Posts
YOURE KIDDING RIGHT. If anybody needs to haul things then you should have bought a truck. No reason for someone to put a hitch on a car. Thats why they make trucks.

G

·
I agree. Go with truck. Because cars with hitches are ghetto as fuck. Thats like you trying to fit 20 people in a sport compact car. It doesnt look right. But if your mexican, YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
377 Posts
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=54462.msg896450#msg896450 date=1155906830]
But if your mexican, YOU CAN DO IT!
[/quote]

WTF!!! :rhigareda: :angrypoint:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is it dumb to put a hitch on car to tow a utility trailer?

What is dumb is for me to spend $2600.00 more a year in fuel to drive a truck that I will use to haul something from Home Depot a few times a year.

I can spend $150.00 for a hitch and tow 1000 lbs without issue. Why waste money in fuel.

Back to my original question. I think that I am just going to put the hitch on the Focus since we will have that vehicle longer and I should have less issues with the warranty.

Thanks for the positive and useful contributions!

·
Registered
610 Posts
How much weight are you thinking about towing? If the manual says not to tow, I would have to imagine that the transmission is not up to the task of towing larger trailers with loads. Ford probably uses that as a blanket statement to prvent people from trying to tow a loaded U-Haul trailer and blowing the trans. Well, this doesn't answer your question, but if you are just towing something like an aluminum trailer with a jet ski, then I don't see any problems. I can't imagine any problems towing 1200 lbs or less with your car. That isn't too much over the weight increase of having a car loaded with passengers and luggage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would not plan on towing more then 1000 lbs since the Focus is rated to tow that with a similar power train.

I am just curious why they do not condone towing with this model but they do with the Focus.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote author=GorgeZephyr link=topic=54462.msg895991#msg895991 date=1155869877]
[/quote]

I installed one on my Zephyr. I haul a small utility trailer for garden stuff. I once hauled a king size bed, but I did notice the gas mileage drop. The book does say no, but I understand that anything under 2000 is all right. Of course, I have the V6 and that may be different than your application.
[/quote]

Did you put this on yourself? I am curious about having to drop the muffler... Where did you get your hitch and how much?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=54462.msg899165#msg899165 date=1156018546]
[quote author=GorgeZephyr link=topic=54462.msg895991#msg895991 date=1155869877]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you put this on yourself? I am curious about having to drop the muffler... Where did you get your hitch and how much?

It's your standard Draw Tite - U Haul variety..... It is not really visible unless I put the receiver in. I believe that it came in (total) around $300.

Thinking that I need a 3/4 ton truck to bring some shrubs home from the garden center is ridiculous! If I were hauling loads on a regular basis then, yes, I would consider a truck. Have these foul mouthed folks seen the price of gas? I get 30 on the highway, and still can keep my wife happy with her garden stuff.........

Thanks
[/quote]

·
Registered
477 Posts
[quote author=bpmetalmilitia link=topic=54462.msg898540#msg898540 date=1155963116]
[quote author=RymanH24 link=topic=54462.msg896450#msg896450 date=1155906830]
But if your mexican, YOU CAN DO IT!
[/quote]

WTF!!! :rhigareda: :angrypoint:
[/quote]

^^^^NOW THAT RESPONSE IS HILARIOUS!!! :bananadance: :bananahump: :banana:

·
Registered
60 Posts
[/quote]
My Ford dealership sells and installs hitches ... Uhaul seem to be the cheapest (I ordered one last week)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The towing caution concerns heat more than strength in the transmission. When the tranny is in slip there is a lot of heat generated, as there is with any clutch/transmission mechanism. 6th gear MAY be positive lockup (I don't know - someone with a manual might have this info) but the lower gears are in slip during acceleration and there needs to be a way to get rid of this termendous heat transferred to the tranny fluid. Even if there is a transmission cooler (radiator) (I don't know if we have one) it is sized for a particular maximum load.

If Ford says no towing - then that's probably the limited ability to reject out heat from the transmission fluid. I wouldn't tow with this car, or generally any car which is not specifically rated for towing.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Would it be different for a manual tranny?

·
Registered
60 Posts
A word on the U-Haul hitch ... I got mine installed today ! It took 3 bloody hours instead of 45 minutes. The hitch didn't fit properly so the guys had to make a few modifications.

·
Registered
309 Posts
[quote author=captainhook link=topic=54462.msg909559#msg909559 date=1156380506]
Would it be different for a manual tranny?
[/quote]

The issues are the same - slipping the clutch to engage the load generates heat. In a dry-plate clutch, any excess heat buildup which is not transferred to air or the case will accelerate wear of the friction surfaces. How well you handle the clutch would also have an impact on wear (and heat).

But provided the torque load of the car + trailer does not exceed the ultimate torque handling capacity of the clutch, once the mechanism is fully engaged the wear becomes zero. The effect of the load will be transferred to other rotating components - bearings, engine, tires, brakes, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.