FordFusionClub.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So thursday and friday i decided to tackle the task of replacing all 4 of my lower control arms on my 07 3.0l v6 fusion sel. Everything went fine until of course removing the actual ball joint from the knuckle. Dont waste your time with the separator from harbor freight lol it shattered into like 4-5 pieces on the first try. i knew this was inevitable but thought id try my luck. here are just a few pointers to clear anything up from when i was following on the mazda forums.

- You WILL need to lower the subframe, but you only need to remove the rear 2 nuts and the 4 15mm bolts. It will sag down low enough to remove the bolts on the rear control arms.

- The new control arms will come with a nylock lock nut, do not use it, reuse the old one.

- it would ALMOST be worth it to buy the ford balljoint tool just to see how well it would actually work at getting the seized balljoint shaft out without damaging the metal sleeve it sits in.

- get a balljoint separator (tuning fork, pickle fork, whatever you want to call it) for the 10$ at advance auto and ram the living heck out of it til the balljoint pops loose(if you're lucky).

- If you cant separate the balljoint from the metal sleeve, just remove the balljoint with the sleeve and if its not destroyed you can reuse it. it will come off easier when off the vehicle. We had to use 2 pickle forks with the one handle on the ground and one facing the sky and hammered and it popped off. then upon install, put a light coat of anti seize on the sleeve and tap back in.

-If the metal sleeve comes out, when you put it back in, you can either hammer it, which takes a while cuz you cant get too good of a whack on it, or you can just use a 4" heavy duty C-clamp as a press. It will slide right back in.

- on the new balljoints, coat the balljoint shaft with a little antiseize so that if in the future it needs to be done again, hopefully it will just pop up with a few light taps.

these are the main pointers i thought might help the next guy out, and may have been mentioned before but cant hurt to reiterate some good tips. Good luck to anyone tackling the same project soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question. Doing the same job as you did, rear lower control arms wouldn't come out without their sleeves attached. During re assembly I cannot get the sleeve back in the knuckle, do you have any advice on how to get it back in?

·
Super Moderator
5,749 Posts
Quick question. Doing the same job as you did, rear lower control arms wouldn't come out without their sleeves attached. During re assembly I cannot get the sleeve back in the knuckle, do you have any advice on how to get it back in?
Hi eismay. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Not too sure if you will get a reply from the OP, since this thread is over 7 years old. If you do not, I would try posting your question over on the Ford Fusion Forum, located here: Ford Fusion Forum

We used to have a great group of members here, but participation has slowed down immensely in the last few years, as you can see by the scarcity of recent posts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi eismay. Welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Not too sure if you will get a reply from the OP, since this thread is over 7 years old. If you do not, I would try posting your question over on the Ford Fusion Forum, located here: Ford Fusion Forum

We used to have a great group of members here, but participation has slowed down immensely in the last few years, as you can see by the scarcity of recent posts.

Good luck.
Thanks! I’ll give a shot over there as well. Can’t have too much info!
Eric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts