FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Fusion 2.3l S model and I am getting a dead battery after about 1 hour or so of sitting. I installed a new battery and it did the same thing? Help... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=tedog1985 link=topic=85893.msg1629321#msg1629321 date=1186788022]
I have a 2006 Fusion 2.3l S model and I am getting a dead battery after about 1 hour or so of sitting. I installed a new battery and it did the same thing? Help... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
[/quote]

Hi tedog. :wavey: Unless you have put an abnormal amount of miles on your car, it is still covered by the "New Vehicle Warranty" (3 years/36,000 miles). You also have "Complementary Roadside Assistance" for that period.

Call the Ford Dealer you wish to have service your vehicle and make an appointment. Drive it there (or call the Roadside Assistance number and have it towed for free if it won't start). You obviously have some problem which is causing your battery to drain when it shouldn't.

All any of us can do over the Internet is guess. Sure, one of us may make a lucky guess, but it will still only be a lucky guess, and you should take it to the Dealer for repair anyway.

So take it to the Dealer and have it fixed for free, under warranty.

Let us know how you make out, and good luck! :cheers:

PS - Did you pay for the new battery you installed? Again, that sort of thing is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am out of warrant as I have to commute a lot between school and work. So any guesses would be great.. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did the new battery you put in die in an hour ? If so you have one of the biggest draws i've ever seen. Have you added anything to the vech that would be hooked up to battery power ?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yes, that's a big draw. It could be anything from a faulty alternator to just a loose connection/faulty connector. You need to isolate the problem. If this keeps happening, your new battery will eventually go bad.

As wingfoot said, do you have anything else hooked up (like an aftermarket stereo system)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a faulty alternator cause a draw even when the car was off? It is all factory.Thanks again for all your advice so far.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
[quote author=tedog1985 link=topic=85893.msg1629517#msg1629517 date=1186792882]
Would a faulty alternator cause a draw even when the car was off? It is all factory.Thanks again for all your advice so far.
[/quote]

How about a voltage regulator?

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
[quote author=tedog1985 link=topic=85893.msg1629370#msg1629370 date=1186789469]
I am out of warrant as I have to commute a lot between school and work. So any guesses would be great.. Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Hi tedog. :wavey: Sheeesh, okay I understand now.

Hmmm, odd problem, really large and quick drain. Even a faulty Alternator should not draw while car is running/not running, it just would not charge the battery.

All factory...My first thought was some sort of aftermarket sound system or alarm system improperly installed. I am really at a loss.

In addition to the ideas already given...Any worn, bare wires, worn battery cable shorting/grounding out that you can see? Battery cables properly tightened? A loose battery cable can mimic a dead battery. Did you have the dead battery properly tested, or just assume it was dead? I know these all seem like obvious ideas, and you probably already checked them, but I am just throwing out possibilities.

Possible long shot...any dumb friends with lousy senses of humor, or people with a grudge who have access to your car and could be turning on your lights when you are not around, killing your battery? :bash:

Hope you find the problem quickly, and it is not anything costly. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Reason I would say it has to be a draw is even if alt was not charging it wouldn't dye that fast running off battery (brand new at that) . I work at a dealership and i've never seen a car with that much draw to kill it in few hrs that's gotta be a huge draw. Are you noticing anything on light wise or running after the car is off and keys out? Like maybe a cooling fan that is not shutting off or anything like that ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok found the culprit. I hooked of a multimeter and it was reading over an amp 1.867 draw.. Took out all the fuses and found that the Heated rear window fuse is the cause of this drain. With the fuse out it drops down to .247ma. Any suggestions on how to start fixing the heated rear window or finding what is wrong with it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dang, the rear defroster? When you plug it in does the light for the rear defrost come on?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Still sounds like you have faulty wiring somewhere. I would check all the wires that you can see and make sure there are no loos connections or wire that is damaged or cut that could be grounding out on a metal surface somewhere? Electrical problems are a B*tch!!! :klavergreg:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Agree wiring probs suck arse.. 5hrs to find 5 mins to fix gotta love it :)

I'll do some reseach and see what I can come up with for you to peek at tedog..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts