FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

hey guys. I need some help and hope y’all can. The yt video shows what is happening but when I start my 2013 Ford Fusion S 2.5Lthe idle is jumpy and when the ac is turned on it stalls. Also when I put it in reverse it bogs downs but then saves it’s self. Anyone have any ideas or gone through this before?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is an odd one.

It looks like the engine in not compensating for the increased load of the AC system.

The idle in these engines is controlled by the electronic throttle body, I wonder if something has happened to it, have you changed it or cleaned it?

Is there anything at all that happened, or was there anything done to the vehicle prior? Or did this start happening all of a sudden?

·
Registered
6 Posts

hey guys. I need some help and hope y’all can. The yt video shows what is happening but when I start my 2013 Ford Fusion S 2.5Lthe idle is jumpy and when the ac is turned on it stalls. Also when I put it in reverse it bogs downs but then saves it’s self. Anyone have any ideas or gone through this before?
What is the check engine light for?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
Hi Bulldozer and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Yes, the first step is to find out why you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) and if any DTC 's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are stored. Most big box auto stores will scan your car for DTC's for free.

Have that done, and post back with the findings.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is an odd one.

It looks like the engine in not compensating for the increased load of the AC system.

The idle in these engines is controlled by the electronic throttle body, I wonder if something has happened to it, have you changed it or cleaned it?

Is there anything at all that happened, or was there anything done to the vehicle prior? Or did this start happening all of a sudden?
So we bought this car with a bad valve cover gasket and it has don’t this the whole time we have had it. My brother cleaned the throttle body and we ever bought one and put in on the car and did the relearning thing and it didn’t change.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Bulldozer and welcome to the Ford Fusion Club. Yes, the first step[ is to find out why you have a CEL (Check Engine Light) and if any DTC 's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) are stored. Most big box auto stores will scan your car for DTC's for free.

Have that done, and post back with the findings.

Good luck.
Check engine light was for cam shaft position sensor that wasn’t plugged all the way in. Plugged it in and the light turned off but still stalls.

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
Check engine light was for cam shaft position sensor that wasn’t plugged all the way in. Plugged it in and the light turned off but still stalls.
Hi Bulldozer. Your video shows an illuminated CEL. Was that video recorded before or after you found the unplugged camshaft position sensor and "Plugged it in"?

And have you taken your vehicle to have it checked for DTC codes? If yes, were there any stored codes and what were the codes?
If you have not, you need to have it checked for codes and post back here with the codes.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Bulldozer. Your video shows an illuminated CEL. Was that video recorded before or after you found the unplugged camshaft position sensor and "Plugged it in"?

And have you taken your vehicle to have it checked for DTC codes? If yes, were there any stored codes and what were the codes?
If you have not, you need to have it checked for codes and post back here with the codes.

Good luck.
The video was before the cam sensor was plugged back in. But still does the same.
It has 3 codes.
P0420
P0340
P0344

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you able to keep the engine running if you press the throttle while turning the AC on? that would help figure out if the compressor is seized.

With the fluctuating idle though, it really points to a throttle body issue. I have fixed about a half dozen vehicles with surging idle by replacing the IAC, or electronic throttle body with a new factory one. Several of the vehicle I diagnosed had parts store IAC, or throttle body.

I have only ever seen no start, or hard starts from parts store crank sensors, never a surging idle though.

·
Administrator
6,112 Posts
The video was before the cam sensor was plugged back in. But still does the same.
It has 3 codes.
P0420
P0340
P0344
Hi Bulldozer. You state "It has 3 codes", so it is not clear if those codes are from before you plugged the sensor back in, or after, or both. Therefore, in addition to the advice given by Max78, look here:

P0420- P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0340- OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0344- P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

Rad all of it carefully, then follow the "Potential Causes" and "Diagnostics and Repair Procedures" sections.

Keep us updated and good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Bulldozer. You state "It has 3 codes", so it is not clear if those codes are from before you plugged the sensor back in, or after, or both. Therefore, in addition to the advice given by Max78, look here:

P0420- P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
P0340- OBD-II Trouble Code: P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Malfunction
P0344- P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent

Rad all of it carefully, then follow the "Potential Causes" and "Diagnostics and Repair Procedures" sections.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Ya I didn't realize the crank sensor on these engines are adjustable. There is a specific tool that is needed to install the crank sensor correctly. If it was not installed properly it could cause issues for sure. Either buy the cheapest sensor you can that comes with the tool and reinstall the sensor accordingly, or buy one from the parts store for the tool, use the tool and return.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ya I didn't realize the crank sensor on these engines are adjustable. There is a specific tool that is needed to install the crank sensor correctly. If it was not installed properly it could cause issues for sure. Either buy the cheapest sensor you can that comes with the tool and reinstall the sensor accordingly, or buy one from the parts store for the tool, use the tool and return.
The codes are all cam position sensor codes. Also, the diy process for adjusting the crank sensor is to set the motor at #1 TDC and just align the sensor with whichever tooth it will align with. The range of adjustment is not more than a single tooth so it can only align with the correct one.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts