FordFusionClub.com banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I'm looking for some new wheels and getting my calipers painted as well. My car is white and I'm thinking of getting black wheels? Also not sure but if I go with black wheels should I go with red calipers or black calipers (with fusion written in white?)

I particularly like this set: OZ galileo III from tirerack

Also not sure if I want 18s or 20s both look great of course but how rough will the ride be? What will happen to MPG? etc thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
[quote author=otaku link=topic=77936.msg1422515#msg1422515 date=1179543178]
Ok so I'm looking for some new wheels and getting my calipers painted as well. My car is white and I'm thinking of getting black wheels? Also not sure but if I go with black wheels should I go with red calipers or black calipers (with fusion written in white?)

I particularly like this set: OZ galileo III from tirerack

Also not sure if I want 18s or 20s both look great of course but how rough will the ride be? What will happen to MPG? etc thanks guys!
[/quote]

With the V6 you can do 20s no problem it will take a little more gas and performance because of more rotating mass but with the V6 AWD i do not think you will see much of a change. I like those wheels but i have 6 spokes as well so i am alittle biased :lol:. The black with polished lip should look good.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Your question is about personal preference. You should go with your basic insticnt
and choose what you like, you will be the one that has to drive the car until you sell
it. And it's not like these are cheep decisions that can just be changed any day you want.

Reach deep within your heart and you will find the answers.
Be strong and don't let confusion sway your decision, take your time
and enjoy fantasizing about your choice until the climacted point of purchase.

·
Registered
212 Posts
What's the most important thing? Practicality or looks?

If you don't want to give up much ride comfort, then go 18's. You will be surprised how much firm the stock suspension really is on 18's. There is a lot of squish in the stock tires.

On size, the stock 17" wheel/tire combo is 49lbs per (Wheel=24, tire=25). If your new combo exceeds this weight then your MPG will be affected. O.Z. makes some light wheels. Look at the weights of the components you are buying. It's possible to get big rims combo that is equal to, or lighter than stock.

Reactions: FusionS2007

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah looking at 18s they seem like a better choice the 20s are pretty big and I don't want the ride/mpg affected to much. 18s look perfect, a little bigger and black

So the tires may need to be switched out also you say? I believe tire rack did mentioned going to something like 45 instead of 50 which I take it would prevent the squish your talking about?

When you did yours did you put new tires as well?

Looking at 2600 or so just for wheels

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you go with 18's you will need to change the tires. If you go with a 225 on an 18, it will require a 45 aspect ratio. That will greatly reduce that tire squish. I did get wheels and tires together. $2600 for the wheels alone? Wow, you spare no expense!

Reactions: FusionS2007

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I went with 18's and I'm glad I did. Twenty's look good but it's just too much. 2600 for the wheels you want?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I believe it said I would need 225/45 or something like that for these. Maybe I could sell the tires to help pay for the new ones. Well anyway yes its 2600 for the 18s I'm looking at definetly pricey, my uncle bought a pair of panther 22s for a few hundred less for his F150

maybe while I'm at it I'll go with pirello rubber :)

This is supposed to justify the price:http://www.tirerack.com/wheels-techpage-1/145.shtml

I would pick out something exotic/expensive. I showed these to a friend and he showed me a pic of a few lamborghini's wearing these (one orange and one white)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
You could go with 225's on your tires. I like my tire with a bit more beef so I went with 245's. I love the way a wide tire looks on a set of nice rims.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Match the tire to the rim. If you get a 7.5" rim, put 225's on them. If you get an 8" rim, you can put 225 or 245 on it, depending on your visual taste. However, the 225 on an 8" rim doesn't give you much lip protection because the protector is pulled away from the lip. If you have any 350Z's around you, find one with the optional 19" rims and inspect the fitment of the front tire. They pair a 225 tire with an 8" rim and the sidewall is pulled so far back that it leaves the lip pretty vulnerable. The advantage of using a 225 over a 245 is a weight savings of about 3lbs per tire. Also, a 245 is 0.2" shorter than a 225. This means your mileage will drop by 0.7%, that is less than 1 mile for every 100 miles driven. Now, that said, it wasn't enough to thwart me from getting 245's. :hsugh: Rock on!

Here is what a 245/40 looks like on an 8" rim:

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so let me get this straight-if I go with 18x7.5 I will not have the ride issues etc. that I would with the others and can stick with my 225s? Sounds like 7.5 might be best though it will cost me more. I don't want to add any weight and I don't wanna mess up my ride or MPG so if 18x7.5 with 225s will do the trick then thats what I want.

Now about the visual differences I take it 7.5 would take up less of the tire? And 8 or 8.5 would take up more of the tire? I don't mind having some tire left, I don't want it to be all wheel necessarily

·
Registered
212 Posts
For pure looks, I prefer the 225/8" combo but every car I have seen with this combo had curb rash. If you like the look of a stretched tire and you don't do a lot of parallel parking, a 225 is well within its specifications on an 8" rim.

What the rim width does, is determines the agle of the sidewall. For rim protection, you want the widest part of the combo to be rubber, not metal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts